Member III

Big Bear, CA, USA
First Name
Jino
Last Name
Hwang
Member #

Anyone here go out by themselves?

I have Sunday monday Tuesdays off, and dont know anyone else with a rig.
So most of my trips have been solo.
I hear a lot of people say to never wheel alone, but I have no choice.

Most people have Saturday sundays off and do their trips then, which I can only meet up on a Sunday when they're ready to go home.

Anyone else in this situation?

I'm on a group on facebook but can never join their trips.

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

I ha e been solo exploring most my life never actually been out with a group .

*always have overnight gear even if your just heading out for a couple hours .
* make sure all your belts and hoses are good ,can’t tell you how many stranded people I’ve helped because of a pinhole in a hose or a broke belt
* let two different people in two different households know where your heading and when you should be home.
* take it easy , flying solo is not the time to try something hard or sketchy plus there’s nobody there to help you when you say “ hold my beer and watch this .

* know your rig and how to fix it and be prepared to get creative to limp back to civilization if needed. Duct tape ,bailing wire and zip ties can perform miracles in a pinch .

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
i prefer the solo trips. i was 19 and stationed in groton, ct when i first got real heavy into solo hiking/camping. what few times i went with others it usually turned into a drink fest...either that or nobody agreeing on where to go, what to do, what to eat, etc...
i retired in my 40s and everyone i knew was still punching a clock, so once again, solo trips. i prefer that and i have not had any problems or instances where i wish i had others with me. i have some really good friends, but none that i want to be alone in the woods with...they would end up annoying me real quick

Bama_Kiwi

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Christchurch, New Zealand
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Frank
Member #

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Anyone here go out by themselves?

I have Sunday monday Tuesdays off, and dont know anyone else with a rig.
So most of my trips have been solo.
I hear a lot of people say to never wheel alone, but I have no choice.

Most people have Saturday sundays off and do their trips then, which I can only meet up on a Sunday when they're ready to go home.

Anyone else in this situation?

I'm on a group on facebook but can never join their trips.

Doesn't look like you're asking for advice on how to go out solo or what to bring along, but are asking if others go out solo too.

Yeah, you bet, man, and not because I have no one else to go out with, but because I prefer it. I actually get a hell of lot more adventuring done, and get out a lot more often, by going alone.

I don't wheel, as in intentionally going out to find obstacles and trails to test my vehicle and trailer to the max. I'm a long-distance, stay-out-for-weeks-and-months kind of traveler. So, I don't feel the need to have someone else along as much as someone who is going out to test their vehicle might and understand the additional safety aspect in those cases.

Though, I have to say, I've extracted myself successfully and done field repairs by myself on more than one occasion and am completely happy going it alone. I think it is more about being prepared, mentally and gear/supply-wise than anything.

Traveling and exploring alone, I spend my time however I want. From following a set of animal tracks for hours to teaching myself bushcraft skills, or learning about desert flora and fauna or night sky photography, or whatever I want. A lot of which would never get accomplished if I was traveling with someone else and subject to accommodating their desires and needs around meals, interests or time.

Having traveled solo since before I was old enough to drive, my adventures have helped me be much more self-reliant and independent, both on and off the trail.

Not for everyone, I know. I think a lot of people have never really been alone in their lives, so can't fathom it, or feel they should have someone else around all the time. I relish my solo time.

gph-170914_0039crop-900.jpg

Last edited:

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I go solo, and I go in groups... depends on what the activities are, terrain I will be covering, and what the weather conditions are. Like I want to go out to a local trail right now that during late spring and into late fall, I would have no problems going alone. But Winter months the snow gets very deep. Still passable, but Having help on hand “when” I get stuck is very important. I do have the means to self recover, but often times having another rig makes things a lot easier.

oneleglance

Rank V

Contributor II

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
LANCE
Last Name
BLAIR
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7NKP
I am an RN and often have odd weekdays off and go out solo for day trips and overnighters.
The best thing I ever got was a Spot and now InReach sat tracker/comm. My wife and friends actually enjoy seeing what I am up to on a weekday.
The Spot is cheaper but less reliable and honestly as much as I don't like Garmin the InReach is great.
You can send free pre-programmed messages so mine is setup
#1 All is well (I send this one if I stop for a while, when I stop for lunch or just to mark something interesting)
#2 I found a place for the night (to note I will be camping vs I fell down and bonked my head and that is why I am stationary)
#3 I need help

There is also a SOS button that gets everything in your area moving (I crashed a moto and never got a bill for the Helo or 4wd ambo).

Of course I have a stocked fridge, extra gear, often use solo trips to practice recovery or just enjoy a cigar in the outdoors.

Charles M

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wickenburg, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1CJM
Most of my trips into the wilderness before getting married were single, free and totally self reliant. There is a lot of good advice in this thread. For me a "solo trip" can be 1 person OR 1 vehicle. My wife is with me on most of my longer trips today.. I still solo explore a trail here and there for hours or miles at a time or take off alone when she wants to stay home. I always carry a Map, Compass, GPS, Ham radio, cell phone and Satellite phone and my rig has a 2 weeks of food, field medical bag, protection devices (bear spray, guns, knives, axe), sleeping and comfort items and is kept in pretty good shape.

Making a plan informing people of the when and wheres of my trip is something I never did but, always thought was a good idea. My problem was who to inform and what do I tell them to do in the event I don't come back. My other problem was not sticking to my original plans. There were many occasions I ended up going 100's of miles in another direction so plans would have been futile. This is still a problem with my wife and I today it is not unusual for us to pull out of our driveway and I ask "Right or Left" or maybe North or South or East or West I think you get the idea. Then take off in the general direction. Some trips we end up home that night others may last a few days.

So, I would conclude try to follow advice in this thread be as prepared for expected and unexpected events as you can (Food water shelter medical supplies) Have back up forms of communication. Keep your rig in good shape avoid terrain that is going to be rough on you or the vehicle. A solo trip overlanding, exploring or hiking is NOT the time to take unnecessary risk. One of the most important things in a solo trip is your brain. Know how to survive and be able and willing to do what it takes. Smart decisions are an absolute... Dying in the wilderness means you did a lot more than one thing wrong...

Last edited:

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
Most of my trips are solo, and I tend to do more crawling and wheeling than overland trips. Even on a day trip I'll have a backpack with camping gear, water/ food/etc so I could survive away from the truck for a couple days, always have hiking shoes.
I have compressor/basic tools/patch/full size spare/etc in the truck for basic needs.

Stuff I bring and prep for:
-survival gear and stove/water/food/sleeping gear/jackets
-basic tools in the jeep, compressor, shovel
-winch, snatch strap, tree straps,tow strap, various shackles, 2x snatch blocks
-detailed maps of any areas i'm exploring, both on my phone and paper.
-a good head and ability to self spot and to make informed decisions about if something is going to be stupid to do solo or not.
-chain saw
-fitness to walk out if needed
-half descent first aid kit and knowing what to do with it.
-letting my wife know where i'm going, when i expect to be back and how many days i have to be late before she can freak out.

I'm in CA so we don't have a lot of the mud that people encounter in other places, but there are still plenty of ways to do something dumb and injure yourself or disable your truck and a lot of it really in my experience is down to making good choices with where you go and what you do. AND if you get into trouble not freaking out and handing the situation objectively with a survival mindset. Panic is the worst possible thing that can happen when you're solo.

In my personal experience I've never found a use for traction boards or a hilift jack and its just more stuff that imo a lot of people have but don't know how or when to use... or how to use safely. I've self recovered a lot with my winch and that has been invaluable for solo exploring and solo rock crawling.

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

The basic rule of thumb is: don't go out any further with one rig than you're capable and prepared to hike back from.

Of course, with modern comms you can stretch that some. Look into a InReach device if you're going to do it. These devices can send comms including SOS with your location from anywhere in the world. So, worst case you can get help.

Besides that if you're going pretty deep/remote have enough supplies and rations to last long enough to be recovered. So, say you're going out somewhere it takes you 2 days of driving to get to, assume it might take a recovery effort twice as long and make sure you have 4+ days of rations (including water and/or ways to purify water if you know there is a water source where you're going). Make sure you have a reliable way to stay warm (sleeping bags and gear that would work at the record cold for the area you're in at the time of year you're going) and I like to have a chainsaw and fuel so I have an endless supply of firewood (to be clear: I don't take down living trees for firewood, but in an emergency situation obviously I would do what I needed to stay alive). Oh, and obviously the right firearm(s) for the country you're in with sufficient ammo.

-TJ

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
all of my trips are solo ( or at least mine is the only vehicle). Its overbuilt for most rips I take is on, I have a full recovery kit, and carry enough tools to do almost any repair on the trail. there has only been 1 time where I have had to hike out 10km to the nearest road and call someone to come get me, and that was poor decision making on my part ( driving at night on a trail I didn't know and ended up in a hole with no bottom, essentially quicksand with no winch points nearby) I slept in the Jeep tat night and walked out in the morning. had to call a few friends of friends to bail me out. lesson learned.83055616_874533586311421_7623406838314172416_n.jpg