Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

all of my trips are solo ( or at least mine is the only vehicle). Its overbuilt for most rips I take is on, I have a full recovery kit, and carry enough tools to do almost any repair on the trail. there has only been 1 time where I have had to hike out 10km to the nearest road and call someone to come get me, and that was poor decision making on my part ( driving at night on a trail I didn't know and ended up in a hole with no bottom, essentially quicksand with no winch points nearby) I slept in the Jeep tat night and walked out in the morning. had to call a few friends of friends to bail me out. lesson learned.View attachment 135496
I think cleaning the rig after that adventure might be the worst part...

-TJ

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

There are also Facebook groups focused on off-road recovery assistance from other members. OB has something as well. It's a good idea to be versed in how they work ahead of time so you can effectively get an SOS out to the groups. Some folks LOVE a good excuse to hit the trail and rescue others. :)
x2

Back when I went to Hollister HIlls a lot there were days where that's all we'd do. We also help with a ton of recoveries out in Glamis. It's fun, it's good CARma, and it gives you an excuse to go out and have somewhere to find...

-TJ

Ed21194

Rank II
Launch Member

Member I

Visalia, CA, USA
First Name
Edgar
Last Name
Mendez
Member #

I have some recovery gear, like tow strap, shovel and traction boards.

I have no communications other than my phone.

I usually bring extra clothes and blanket, food and extra water.
I am currently in the same situation as you, when most are off on the weekends I work.

I have not gone on many trips on my own however, when I do, I give notice to someone.

As most do.

I have considered a CB radio and more so, the portable ones; but have not decided on the right one.

good luck.

I California, up by Fresno area.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I go out solo pretty often. My schedule with family events doesn't seem to line up with what the groups I'm a part of usually do.

I'll throw a kid or two in the X and we'll head off somewhere for the night occasionally. Blondie and I spent the weekend around Linville Gorge last fall and met up with a group from OB there the second night.

I enjoy those types of trips as much as with a group.

The biggest thing is not being afraid to turn around. If I hit a section I'm not sure about, I'll walk it. If I don't think I can either make it through or back out, I'll try another route.

On the east coast, it's not as big a concern as most of the routes are generally well traveled and you're rarely very far from civilization.

Hope for the best, but plan for the worst....

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
One thing to add:

When I'm out solo I don't feel like I have to be a good host or try to "stay on schedule". I can take the mundane route like riding the Parkway rather than trying to find something interesting or take the off-shoots just to reach a dead end and turn around. I really enjoy those days for what they offer me in solitude.

SinisterJK

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Orlando, FL, USA
First Name
Bryant
Last Name
S
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRFC851

-TJ
I think your absolutely right! Usually after a trip It takes me just to do the under carriage and to do the outside of the rig making sure there's no mud left in the Frame or anywhere its like a 2 hour process from rinse all the mud and a couple washes to makes sure she's got noting left just on the exterior.

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard

-TJ
Ha ha ya it took a long time. I had to hose off what I could once I got back into town, that trip cost me 2 rear shocks, my rear locker wiring, a steering box and a u-joint. After that the mud was the least of my worries lol.

Reactions: TerryD

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

Food for thought. 30 years ago, how many who went out prepared, got stuck, died? How many people do you know now that have gone out prepared... and died?

Enough with every X, Y and Z gadget. Is there peace in insurance for safety? Sure, but this pusification of America that you cant go out alone, you shouldn't carry a gun, you shouldn't blah blah blah... talking points. Go out, have fun, be prepared for your situation, let someone know where you are going and enjoy being alone.

WAYAWAY

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
P
Member #

Food for thought. 30 years ago, how many who went out prepared, got stuck, died? How many people do you know now that have gone out prepared... and died?

Enough with every X, Y and Z gadget. Is there peace in insurance for safety? Sure, but this pusification of America that you cant go out alone, you shouldn't carry a gun, you shouldn't blah blah blah... talking points. Go out, have fun, be prepared for your situation, let someone know where you are going and enjoy being alone.
Marlin:
I promised I'd never let anything happen to him.

Dory:
Hmm. That's a funny thing to promise.

Marlin:
What?

Dory:
Well you can't never let anything happen to him. Then nothing would ever happen to him. Not much fun for little Harpo.

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Anyone here go out by themselves?

I have Sunday monday Tuesdays off, and dont know anyone else with a rig.
So most of my trips have been solo.
I hear a lot of people say to never wheel alone, but I have no choice.

Most people have Saturday sundays off and do their trips then, which I can only meet up on a Sunday when they're ready to go home.

Anyone else in this situation?

I'm on a group on facebook but can never join their trips.
I don't necessarily prefer going solo, because I do quite enjoy having my close adventuring buddies with me, but I quite often end up going solo by necessity because nobody is available. My schedule tends not to line up with most of my buds.

Going solo does have its benefits for those who are comfortable with themselves and enjoy being alone sometimes. I'm quite strongly introverted and introspective, so I quite enjoy my solo adventures.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

30 years ago i was 6 getting stuck on county roads in and around ladonia in a go kart. I Never died but a few briggs & strattons gave their life for my enjoyment.

Louiston

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

USA
First Name
Lou
Last Name
N/A
In the next week or two, I'm heading out ALONE for a week of winter camping in the Valley of the Gods/Moab area.

Unlike the summer months with Disneyland size crowds, winter camping thins out the riffraff. :grinning: The snow is really beautiful too!

If I'm not back by the end of Feb, consider me missing and notify the authorities so they can introduce more legislation to keep me safe. :grimacing:

Last edited: