Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE

Doesn't look like you're asking for advice on how to go out solo or what to bring along, but are asking if others go out solo too.

Yeah, you bet, man, and not because I have no one else to go out with, but because I prefer it. I actually get a hell of lot more adventuring done, and get out a lot more often, by going alone.

I don't wheel, as in intentionally going out to find obstacles and trails to test my vehicle and trailer to the max. I'm a long-distance, stay-out-for-weeks-and-months kind of traveler. So, I don't feel the need to have someone else along as much as someone who is going out to test their vehicle might and understand the additional safety aspect in those cases.

Though, I have to say, I've extracted myself successfully and done field repairs by myself on more than one occasion and am completely happy going it alone. I think it is more about being prepared, mentally and gear/supply-wise than anything.

Traveling and exploring alone, I spend my time however I want. From following a set of animal tracks for hours to teaching myself bushcraft skills, or learning about desert flora and fauna or night sky photography, or whatever I want. A lot of which would never get accomplished if I was traveling with someone else and subject to accommodating their desires and needs around meals, interests or time.

Having traveled solo since before I was old enough to drive, my adventures have helped me be much more self-reliant and independent, both on and off the trail.

Not for everyone, I know. I think a lot of people have never really been alone in their lives, so can't fathom it, or feel they should have someone else around all the time. I relish my solo time.

View attachment 135464
Yes sir, not by choice since I had a wonderful mate for 59 years, but because I like solo now that she is gone. It's hard to find someone who enjoys the same things as you do, male or female. Like someone else said, just be more careful and stay out of trouble you cant handle. I really admire you @Road for all your abilities and adventures. You live a life the way man was meant to live it. I'm jealous Mr. Road as I think many more of us wish they could do what you do and do it so well !

Reactions: JCWages and Road

Macaki

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

El Dorado County, California, United States
First Name
Mark
Last Name
King
Member #

More often than not my wife and I will explore with just us. We always go prepared, extra food, water, clothes, radio's, recovery gear, etc. We head out usually every week or two ( I get grumpy if we don"t ). We have also gone out with a few friends from time to time, especially in the summer time when we are camping. We'll use the camping area as a base camp and explore out form there. Both are fun and provide something different. There are times were it's nice for the wife and I to find a nice stream or river to have a picnic at, or to stop with friends and have a tailgate picnic and rest up. Either way being as prepared as you can is the key. I will say when it's just my wife and I in our truck I am a little extra cautious (not always though) than when I'm with others who can help us recover.

Before hunting season I'll go out by myself several times to scout areas. I have to say these are probably my most favorite times. Being alone way out with no other human noise is quite nice. I think we all need some alone time in our modern age of always being connected via technology.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

My wife would be angry if i went out all by myself and left her at home. I think she actually enjoys offroading and camping more than me, that may be because shes fairly new to it and its not my first rodeo. If by solo you mean a single vehicle then yes more often than not we are alone, a couple times a year we will go out with a select few people who i feel can be trusted.

Pros of having a group:
: you have other vehicles to pull you out or act as an anchor.
: may have spare parts depending on what they drive.
: someone to talk to, you may make a friend.

Cons to traveling in a group:
: everyone has their own ideas what should be done and where to go.
: some groups drive too fast to even enjoy the scenery, and too fast for the terrain tearing up the trail and their rigs.
: someone may have medical issues your unaware of that cause a short trip.
: you end up with someone that wants to get stupid drunk and cause problems.

Really there are to many cons to list to going with others especially folks you dont know well.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I go solo much of the time. I love Baja and it's my primary goto. I surf, fish, kayak, hike, and rockhound. Most of my surfing buddies don't fish, most of my fishing buddies don't surf. My wife and would go quite a bit, after she passed I go solo.
I do enjoy it.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Today's best old vehicles, are so old that I question reliability. Today's new vehicles, are so computer controlled that I question reliability.

I'd stick to numbered roads, or places where your friends will willingly tow you. Base campish, and hike or bike on out instead. When I'm alone, kayaking, hiking, or horseback become my overlanding of choice.

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
I have been "overlanding" for over 50 years by myself (pack horses/backpacking/4wd). I am always extremely prepared for just about anything. I have never been where I had to call for help and I have a habit of doing all the obscure trails in Colorado. I am not saying that I did not have to walk 28 miles out by myself on bad knees, but I have never had to call anybody. Most of this was done before cellphones and GPS. I just let someone know where I will be and I check in as I progress on a walk about. I am a HAM and have a CB and like SAT phones but they are for convenience not for necessity. The key is to know your limits and not to push beyond what you can do or recover from by yourself.

The most important equipment to have on a backcountry trip is what is between your ears.

WAYAWAY

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
P
Member #

Salty snacks for me. I'm not much for sweets. Maybe those Costco nuts, salt and dark chocolate bars.

Solo-trips out for me are vital. Time to reflect on life & make decisions without distraction. Finding a campsite far from others, taking a hike where you don't see another soul, cresting a hill and finding nothing but wind and long views.. these are things that I need.

The wild smell of creosote bush in the desert on a warm, windy day, It's cleansing. It's pure.

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

I'm not a huge fan of big groups, part of the reason we got set-up to get out into the wilderness. If it's not my Wife and i then I generally travel solo (or with the dogs). I did a solo (well, with the dogs) 2 week trip to Northern Vancouver Island this past summer and it was great. I think everyone needs to get out and explore or adventure alone sometimes. ( My motto for these trips is "alone not lonely").

I always have the camper with me, and it is usually fully stocked, so even if I'm out for a solo day trip I have at least a weeks worth of food and stuff available in the event of an emergency.

The single best piece of equipment I'd recommend for solo travelers would be a Garmin InReach. When I'm out on a longer solo trip I set it up to send location updates to my Wife, in the event of an emergency where I was not able to use it to contact the outside world, she would have a pretty good idea of my last known location.

The best part of traveling to remote places solo is that sometimes you stumble upon gems like this beach, and have the entire place to yourself (well, and the dogs)

20190721_202358.jpg

SinisterJK

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Orlando, FL, USA
First Name
Bryant
Last Name
S
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRFC851
I would say 50% of my trips are solo trips, I have to agree that when I'm going with other people its really difficult to get accustomed to the overland or off grid lifestyle if you've never done it. Being in Central Florida I hear locals say omg it was so nice to camp at the Disney camp site, and I literally laugh and blurt out that's not camping. But when you go literally off grid exploring you have to have it in your blood to some extent. I hate being on trips with others and its like someone said a few posts earlier it either turns into an all night drink fest, which in no means is that bad....But I kinda have to be mentally ready every following morning to encounter the challenges of that next day so the remnants of the drink fest then become a nuisance. Then there's the second part that most of the time when I have gone with people other than my wife and kids no one wants to do anything. They don't want to maybe go over certain obstacles or mid trail are like omg we have to turn around and then your finding yourself bickering back and forth with everyone in the convoy cause 2 of you want to keep going and the other 2 want to turn around. Or it turns into a thing that you do 2-3 trails and someone comes up with a bogus excuse they have to feed their kids (WHOM ARE GROWN AS HELL IN THIER 20's) so Ive gotten used to either traveling with my wife and kids who obviously are on the same page or SOLO. When I travel solo the only thing I worry about is not making stupid decisions even if I'm equipped to handle then I shouldn't have to endure the task alone because I was stupid and no one to hold my beer around lol. I have definitely learned that no matter what you need to be prepared for anything so my rig is always ready even when I'm not planing anything.

Always in the Rig there is a bug out bag with enough food & water to last me 72 hours, Ham Radio, Pistol, Ammo, Compass, Knife, Flashlights, Headlight (Human HEAD not a car light) and a few pieces of survival gear for that In Case of Emergency moment. I have a Fridge in the jeep so even when its not running there's always water bottles inside of it as well. I keep a good first aid kit in the jeep, another in the bug out bag and there is a third kit I have when I go on any TRIP which is our BUG OUT BOX its bigger than the pack which is mobile but the bug out kit has what's in the bag bag just X's 5 since its 5 of us and if I'm on a solo trip the configuration doesn't change it just extends the amount of time I can survive out of the BUG OUT BOX.

In the jeep besides the bug out bag or box I keep a pistol and ammo within hands reach, Ham Radio, CB Radio, a Tool kit I designed for just the jeep with everything I need to work on my rig if I have to, Jack, Plenty of tie straps, Duct tape, Ratchet Straps, Tire Repair gear, Air Compressor, Wipes, Small pack of Shower Wipes, Bug Spray, Shovel, Solar Chargers, Luci Lights and there's a backpack tent stashed in the rear storage as well. I have Gaia on all of my devices and in the near future I def want to get a Garmin inReach just to keep a line of communication in the event I need to send an but also to keep my loved ones in the loop that I'm ok.

Besides being well prepared if you wheel or overland solo keep the simple mantra of "HEY STUPID, YOU DO HAVE TO DRIVE THIS BACK HOME!" present and you and your rig should at least be safe from getting stuck if you use common sense. Now out hiking if you tell yourself the same thing because you have to make it back as well lol then you for the most part should have no problems. Be well prepared for the unexpected and always have least a few days of supplies in the event you can't get out or have to spend some time there waiting for the cavalry to arrive.

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

There are also Facebook groups focused on off-road recovery assistance from other members. OB has something as well. It's a good idea to be versed in how they work ahead of time so you can effectively get an SOS out to the groups. Some folks LOVE a good excuse to hit the trail and rescue others. :)

That_Guy

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Irvine California
First Name
Matt
Last Name
P
Anyone here go out by themselves?

I have Sunday monday Tuesdays off, and dont know anyone else with a rig.
So most of my trips have been solo.
I hear a lot of people say to never wheel alone, but I have no choice.

Most people have Saturday sundays off and do their trips then, which I can only meet up on a Sunday when they're ready to go home.

Anyone else in this situation?

I'm on a group on facebook but can never join their trips.
Hey man, I live in Irvine and while I am a bit of a Lone Wolf, but pretty much retired at 43. I've got an AEV with all the recovery goodies. 1) If your ever stuck hit me up, I love to help and 2) Depending on what you have in mind I wouldn't be opposed to trecking somewhere.