What's your MPG (fuel economy) on the road.

• HTML tutorial

gungriffin

Rank 0

Contributor I

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
K
Jeep TJR
With 33s I got a best of 17mpg. Averaging closer to 15mpg.
I changed to 7.50R16s, tall, skinny, light, I now get 22mpg. 18 towing a trailer.

From stock I went to 33s then 35s adding lifts as I went and getting worse mileage with every "mod or what some call upgrade"
Last year I removed the lift and went the pizza cutter route, I've never had better mileage, I'll never go back to bigger tires.
And I have not lost any capability for a Jeep running forestry roads in the mountains. Beyond the increase in range of 95miles I've never had a smoother ride nor a better highway tire. Reminds me of my F250s from the 1970s which came stock with 7.50R16s on split rims. I wish more than Yokohama made them. Be nice if there was a choice.
The new BFG KM3s come in that size if you want something more aggressive. I really wish that more companies were offering a better variety of tall and skinny tires. A 35x10.5 would be my preference. Kenda is the only company producing that size though.

gungriffin

Rank 0

Contributor I

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
K
i wish i got double digit mpg's....:disappointed:
my crew pulls down a "staggering" 5 mpg's
living in the mountains means no matter which way i go i run into 8-15% grades, anywhere from a mile long up to 20 miles long. with the camper on board and the trailer in tow, it can and does drop down to a wallet busting 3 mpg's on the bigger hills.
it cost me a buck a mile to drive it. to fill both tanks is $200. around town i can get about 180-190 miles on both tanks, on the freeway about 2-210, or roughly averaged out- a buck a mile....
What are you driving?

Reactions: Billiebob

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

i wish i got double digit mpg's....:disappointed:
my crew pulls down a "staggering" 5 mpg's
living in the mountains means no matter which way i go i run into 8-15% grades, anywhere from a mile long up to 20 miles long. with the camper on board and the trailer in tow, it can and does drop down to a wallet busting 3 mpg's on the bigger hills.
it cost me a buck a mile to drive it. to fill both tanks is $200. around town i can get about 180-190 miles on both tanks, on the freeway about 2-210, or roughly averaged out- a buck a mile....
Geez. I had a diesel pusher and stacker trailer that weighed over 53k lbs combined and I'd still get high 6s MPG in hilly country.

-TJ

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Is the truck tippy with that camper?

I'm a little worried about wind and such if I go that route. My truck should be a little heavier, and rhe campers I'm looking at are a little smaller. Capris Retreat, Bundutec Bunduvry, etc. etc. Right now my truck fits 35" tires stock, but a 4" system would smooth out my dirt roads nicely.

-------------------------------
Mileage #'s are sketchy without grade info, stop light count, wind, etc. City mileage figures are assumed 1mpg.

Cruising at 80mph on flat ground with my F250xl wheels and tires I get 15mpg.
Drop to 70mph and it can climb to 17, rarely even 18mpg.
MT tires and it's 14-15 everywhere.

Skinny work truck wheels and steady speeds work wonders.

2017 F250, CC, SB, 6.2L, FX4.

Last edited:

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

ya, oil burners are much better on mpg's, pretty much what ever their installed in.
bet you don't have 42" tires on your pusher though...:yum:
a healthy big block, a trans with a 1:1 hi gear and 4:56's in the axles equals 32-3400 rpm at 55mph...glug glug glug
205 t-cases don't like to be spun much faster than 55 anyways...lol
also got the aero's of a barn door and a loaded weight of 16 k
some modifications done to it, none really done with an eye to fuel economy, more so for capability in the bush
View attachment 131837
Super cool truck, a bad arse old-school is worth the pain of the MPG. Have you considered adding modern EFI to help out some? The newer systems are getting so good, and there are several (including Holley) that make kits that replace the carb and are self-learning/tuning?

FWIW, the tires on the pusher actually were about 42"s. They were 315/80-22.5 in all 8 places which works out to about 42.3". So yes, 42"s and over 53k lbs combined.

-TJ

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I drove supers in the mountains, Vancouver to Edmoton, 130K pounds and never got worse the 5mpg. You NEED to buy a new truck. But I guess if you stay close to home..... But you make the case for stock rubber. Buy some new 235/85R16s and they'll be free before you mile them out..... Ego is darned expensive.

Last edited:

Nikosan

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

SF Peninsula/Pollock Pines
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Ramos
Member #

2000 Lexus Lx470. 33 Ko2 , front and rear steel bumpers, 2.5 lift, sleeping platform and roof rack
11 mpg premium gas combined
2013 LX570 all stock 14.5 mpg combined

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
I've only spent $1300 for fuel with my fullsize this year. And that includes a trip all the way across the state every 3 weeks.

It's a complete non issue that can budgeted around.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I've only spent $1300 for fuel with my fullsize this year. And that includes a trip all the way across the state every 3 weeks.

It's a complete non issue that can budgeted around.
I just pulled this from my maintenance app. The past 365 days of fuel use. 1995 Jeep XJ. That last refueling of 11mpg was all off pavement.

Screenshot_20191222-221845_Drivvo.jpg

Outdoordog

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Big Bear, CA, USA
First Name
Jino
Last Name
Hwang
Member #

2016 jeep wrangler rubicon.

I average 16 mpg.
I get about 13 on the street and about 18 or 19 on the highway.

Megadoomer

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

N32°55'31.94",W117°05'20.21"
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Rossi
Member #

70 FJ55 with SBC 350 EFI, 4.10s and 35in tires. Last trip with gear for 3 people I averaged 12 mpg over 2500 miles. Several hundred miles on dirt roads. I am hoping to increase the mpg when I put the 5.3 LS in this winter.

Ob1

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Palo Alto, CA, USA
First Name
Ofer
Last Name
Bruhis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6UKE
1993 80 series Landcruiser - 20-26 MPG
30 gallons water
5 gallos additional diesel
295 x 75R16. (33.4” tires)
Stock axles/OEM lockers
1HDFT turbo diesel/ H151 5 speed manual/ part time
Just came back from 3 days in Death Valley fully loaded. We did 1250 miles and of that about 170 miles of dirt with lots of crawling. 22.05 mpg.56F0DA1E-A579-4A53-9E6B-24CAB8027B14.jpeg3AF9F798-69AF-4ACE-B882-630584D7EAF8.jpegC3BA76C0-B64A-4A30-80D6-2BA85229B539.jpeg

Last edited:

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
So my LJ averages 8mpg.

Fully armored, rock sliders and skid plates, side armor, even heavier fender flares.
4.88 gears, 6 speed trans, 6" lift, 37" tires.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

2008 GMC Savana, 6.6 Duramax

Interesting to look back at my July 2017 post in this thread before I got my trailer (avg 20-21mpg), then my Sept 2017 post after driving from Maine to Oklahoma (still no trailer but all interstate miles at avg 21.3 mpg), then own and tow the trailer all over hither and yon the last couple years to the tune of around 600 nights out.

I experimented on my last long adventure towing the trailer--eight months and just over 17,000 miles--and didn't touch the DIC mpg figure the entire time and avg'd 17.3 mpg. That includes miles driven without the trailer while it was set up as basecamp and a fair bit of idling time here and there. Almost all miles not towing during this time were back country or two-lane at 40mph or less.

What I've found over the years with this van, in religiously keeping track of fuel receipts and gallons consumed, is that the DIC is actually quite accurate. My initial figures after I got the trailer in '17 were that I was losing around 4 mpg towiing the trailer. Interesting to see that's held true over a couple years and a gazillion miles.

Considering the size of my van and trailer and the considerable amount of gear I haul for long term slow travel, I'm pretty happy with 17.3 mpg when towing.

roaddude_bbnp-0035-panocrop.jpg

offroad-vannxv2-900.jpg

Rick Schlepphorst

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Roanoke, Texas, USA
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Schlepphorst
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GMW
I have a 2019 Tacoma SR DCSB 4x4 auto with a shell on the bed. No lift or whatnot. It has the TSS package that came with 17's and 265/65 AT tires. I deliberately kept the exterior as slick as possible and tried to keep the weight down by only adding stuff I thought I needed for what I do. No lift, no steel bumpers, no external racks, no drawer system, etc. All of my recovery stuff and camping gear is contained in the shell. The goal was to be lean and mean for trips and keep it simple. When the bride and I went to Smoky Mountain National Park from DFW there were times we were getting close to 24mpg (23.7or so) on some stretches. Daily driving I get about 18.5-19mpg.Taco ob.jpg

Last edited: