What's your experience with OZTENT RV Series tent(s)?

• HTML tutorial

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
We have Oztent's Jet Tent 25X. Plenty of room for a basecamp tent and I'd purchase one again if ever needed. I'm pretty sure my grandkids will get it when I am long gone and they too will get several decades of use out of it. We have stayed warm in 10 degree weather with the aid of a Mr Buddy little buddy heater, dry in torrential rains, and solid in 40 plus mile an hour winds. The only reason we did not get one of the RV series tents is because of pack down size. The 25x packs down to 48" x 12" x 12" which fits on our rack perfectly leaving plenty of room for our solar panel, propane bottle, Mr Buddy heater and a stack of TREDs. Here is an old review of mine, we have since gotten the poles and rods for the awning to be pitched nice and tight..

Temudjin

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Cashmere QLD 4500 Australia
Member #

I have an RV3 which I use when I'm on my own (most of the time as single guy). Pros - quick set up and pack away, spacious, great quality & solid build and smaller than a RTT on the roof. Cons - packed size is 6' x 1' x 1', relatively heavy at about 35lbs and not cheap but it will last a lifetime if taken care of. Mine goes on the land cruiser roof rack and still leaves plenty of space for other gear up there. With the 30 Second Awning (270 degree) and Oztent camp is set up in 15 or 20 minutes and pack up doesn't take much longer.

rlhydn

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

The Oz tents are popular but that doesn't make them well designed. Huge when bagged, have to get out of bag and go outside to close window flap , what's that about ? They set up fast, ok, what's the hurry? Part of the popularity (IMO) is the price, it screams look at how much I spent. There are threads all over for good ground tents for far less $$.
Only the back window has an external awning. The normal windows on the other 3 sides open and close from inside the tent on the RV range.

Most people chose the RV for the unique unfold setup. Other ground tents may well be better or equal in quality, design and appeal - but they're not the same.

Billy "Poserlander" Badly

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

PDX, OR, USA
Member #

I recently got the RV5, but I don't intend to actually I use it. I only purchased it so I could drive around with it strapped to my roof rack, thus indicating to all and sundry that I'm a man who pays top dollar for only the finest gear.

But seriously, I've only camped with it once, and I'm very satisfied so far. Even w/ the awning and stakes/lines, it takes less time than my Kelty Parthenon to set up. Breaking it down is much quicker than my Kelty, and I've had no trouble getting it back in the bag. I will probably end up getting the awning walls at some point, when I've refilled the bank account a bit.

A couple things:
-As others have noted, the external awning on the rear window is a little annoying, since you have to go outside to adjust it.
-I'm a shade under 6'3", and I can stand just inside the doorway, sort of. Beyond that, it's too short for me to stand in. My Kelty was definitely taller.
-It is big when packed and at 50lbs, it's at the limit for things I want to throw up on the roof. Make sure you've got the ability to transport it safely, since it's way bigger than your standard ground tent.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I recently got the RV5, but I don't intend to actually I use it. I only purchased it so I could drive around with it strapped to my roof rack, thus indicating to all and sundry that I'm a man who pays top dollar for only the finest gear.
I’m getting a custom embroidered bag that says “Overland Approved - Yes this is an OZ Tent and yes I paid over $9oo for it”

I need recognition!

I’m happy with it. I wish it was a little taller and deeper to fit my current cots. This is my backup sleeping arrangement when we don’t take the trailer.

My Coleman easy-up worked well. If it’s not your thing fine. Coleman also got water in it after days of rain. I haven’t had the same problem with the RV-5. I won’t bag on other peoples gear. If you are actually out on the trail and using it then good for you.

AZBubs

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Tan Valley, AZ
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7BHP
HAHAHA! come on now, us OzTent guys are already the red headed step children of overlanding cause we didn’t buy a RTT.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Viking1204

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
HAHAHA! come on now, us OzTent guys are already the red headed step children of overlanding cause we didn’t buy a RTT.
Mine was new in box for over a year. Does that count? I have owned 3 RTT's as well. Where's my patch?

Buddy Griffin

Rank 0

Traveler I

The Oz tents are popular but that doesn't make them well designed. Huge when bagged, have to get out of bag and go outside to close window flap , what's that about ? They set up fast, ok, what's the hurry? Part of the popularity (IMO) is the price, it screams look at how much I spent. There are threads all over for good ground tents for far less $$.

Buddy Griffin

Rank 0

Traveler I

Sticking with my 12 year old Springbar Tent that is made in USA Ordered Oztent RV3 with peaked sides and front inclosure. Zipper on oztent awning was broken and one of poles that fits across awning was bent and then snapped in half from weight of tent. This equipment would never make it high in the Rockies where I camp. The siding rods inside the tent were very cheap and might last 2 years. Made in China is the problem. I THOUGHT IT CAME FROM AUSTRAILIA.