What's your experience with OZTENT RV Series tent(s)?

• HTML tutorial

TexTransplant

Rank 0

Contributor I

I hate to dig up an old thread, but I figured it was better than making a new one....

What are peoples' thoughts on the RX-4/5 vs the RV series? Is it worth the $200+ premium?

AZBubs

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Tan Valley, AZ
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7BHP
I hate to dig up an old thread, but I figured it was better than making a new one....

What are peoples' thoughts on the RX-4/5 vs the RV series? Is it worth the $200+ premium?
If not mistaken the RX comes with peaked awning poles, ability to zip in floor under awning.

theBROFESSOR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Conway, Arkansas
Member #

I

I dont have any experience with the RX but I do have an RV-5. We love ours. It is generally myself the wife and the dog. We have plenty of room with a double cot to stand up, move around and do anything we need. The part we love about it best is the side panels that attach to the front awning. When you are experiencing bad weather (like we normally do) it gives you a place to sit and get dressed, go potty (we have a toilet we put there), eat or whatever. We do zip our oztent straight onto our Foxwing most of the time and it creates the perfect environment. It is quite bulky to haul and will definitely need to go on the roof rack when transporting. Pretty bulky for one person, but a breeze to setup and take down. Like the previous posts I agree that the bag it comes with is too small and I sent my concerns to Oztent that I'm sure were just handed off to whatever department and thrown away. But we do love the tent itself.

Reactions: HeliSniper

BlueLineOverland

Local Expert, Arkansas USA

Experimenter II

Ozark Arkansas
First Name
Mason
Last Name
Berry
Member #

I had a RTT for a while. I switched to an Oztent RV-5 after @theBROFESSOR recommendation and I will NEVER have another tent!!!! When I got the RTT I figured it would make me camp more because of the ease of setup. I was wrong. It was more of a hassle to setup and I actually camped less. With the RV-5 there is an abundance of space. I'm 6' and i can stand up and change no problem. The awning is amazing as well. I can literally have camp setup in under 5 minutes and torn down and rolling out in less than 10. That's including setting up and breaking down my cot and bedroll. I cant say enough great things about it. The ONLY complaint I have is that the bag is a little smaller than i would like and the bag is not water proof. I have to keep it on my roof rack and it gets really wet and water soaks into the tent. you can buy replacement bags, but they are expensive and they are from a different company and have to be shipped from Australia as they have no US distributors. that would be my only gripe though. Also they are super modular so you can add on as you go and have an overlanding condo hahaha

the Dutch Wanderer

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Koudekerke, The Netherlands
First Name
Alex
Last Name
de Witte
Member #

I had a RTT for a while. I switched to an Oztent RV-5 after @theBROFESSOR recommendation and I will NEVER have another tent!!!! When I got the RTT I figured it would make me camp more because of the ease of setup. I was wrong. It was more of a hassle to setup and I actually camped less. With the RV-5 there is an abundance of space. I'm 6' and i can stand up and change no problem. The awning is amazing as well. I can literally have camp setup in under 5 minutes and torn down and rolling out in less than 10. That's including setting up and breaking down my cot and bedroll. I cant say enough great things about it. The ONLY complaint I have is that the bag is a little smaller than i would like and the bag is not water proof. I have to keep it on my roof rack and it gets really wet and water soaks into the tent. you can buy replacement bags, but they are expensive and they are from a different company and have to be shipped from Australia as they have no US distributors. that would be my only gripe though. Also they are super modular so you can add on as you go and have an overlanding condo hahaha
Drifta has retailer in Europe so maybe there is one in the US, they make great Babs for the OZ

Reactions: theBROFESSOR

theBROFESSOR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Conway, Arkansas
Member #

Yeah the bag is the only problem. The side panels for the front awning attached to the foxwing make for some sure nuff glamping. It requires about 1/4 acre lol

AZBubs

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Tan Valley, AZ
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7BHP

Reactions: moparman89

HeliSniper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Dallas, Texas
First Name
Brad
Last Name
S
Member #

The Oz tents are popular but that doesn't make them well designed. Huge when bagged, have to get out of bag and go outside to close window flap , what's that about ? They set up fast, ok, what's the hurry? Part of the popularity (IMO) is the price, it screams look at how much I spent. There are threads all over for good ground tents for far less $$.
I do not agree with money being part of the popularity. I have a used RV-3 and paid no where close to new pricing and it is hands down the best quality tent I have ever seen or heard about.
Buy once, cry once, I will be handing mine down to the next generation of Overlanders.

HeliSniper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Dallas, Texas
First Name
Brad
Last Name
S
Member #

I recently got the RV5, but I don't intend to actually I use it. I only purchased it so I could drive around with it strapped to my roof rack, thus indicating to all and sundry that I'm a man who pays top dollar for only the finest gear.
I went one step cheaper, I just bought the bag and stuffed it with rags so everyone would know how cool I am but without all the weight. Instead of a hood ornament I guess it would be called...a rack ornament........

Buddy Griffin

Rank 0

Traveler I

Ordered RV 3 Set it up in back yard and one of the poles snapped and zipper malfunctioned Sent it back the next day. Best tents are Springbars in Utah -Made in America -Not in China

HeliSniper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Dallas, Texas
First Name
Brad
Last Name
S
Member #

Ordered RV 3 Set it up in back yard and one of the poles snapped and zipper malfunctioned Sent it back the next day. Best tents are Springbars in Utah -Made in America -Not in China
I don't want to bash anyone's product, I just know what my thoughts are from what I've used. I have never heard of poles snapping nor zippers malfunctioning on OzTents but I guess anything is possible. For both to happen to you in your backyard seems terribly unlucky..... For me, I am over 120 nights in my RV-3 and have not had the bad luck you've experienced with OzTent products. So I intend on adding to my OzTent accessory collection. I think the next buy for me is the RV Attachment, that looks kinda cool. China products are not always bad as long as the spec'd quality is there, I believe my OzTent to be very high quality and worth the money I spent. Good luck with your tent and I hope you have a wonderful Holiday Season!!!

roots_remain

Rank 0

Contributor I

Mims, Florida, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Warren

Where are Springbar® Highline Tents made?

The Highline Series is built in a high-end tent making facility near Yangzhou, China

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Where are Springbar® Highline Tents made?

The Highline Series is built in a high-end tent making facility near Yangzhou, China
Some models are made in UT with fabric produced in China. I guess it depends on which model you get.

I’ve never had a problem with my Oz Tent but I also don’t use it that often. Bulky but easy to setup and tear down. I think the Gazelle tents look interesting as well but there’s a thread to discus those.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I do not agree with money being part of the popularity. I have a used RV-3 and paid no where close to new pricing and it is hands down the best quality tent I have ever seen or heard about.
Buy once, cry once, I will be handing mine down to the next generation of Overlanders.
I don’t agree either. I bought our Jettent 25x at a deep discount as it was a left over model that had been used in shows. The bag dry rotted in three years do it now lives in an Army Surplus bag and travels up top. I’ll keep ours until we are too old and frail to set up a tent.

Reactions: HeliSniper