What was your first vehicle you took exploring.

• HTML tutorial

RescueRangers

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Fleming Island, Fl
Member #

The question is what was the first "vehicle" you explored in? Well, because of the nature of the job I have in the Army I did a lot of exploring. I think a lot of my interest in Overlanding, camping, exploring, and just traveling came that time. The first vehicle I explored in was a M88A1 Medium Recovery Vehicle.

m88A1.jpg
I just call it my Winnebago. The thing about Recovery is you work completely independent, you get a mission and you go. How you get there and get back is completely up to the person in charge of the 88. The problem was you could be out for a long, long time. We always carried enough food (no MRE's) and water for several days. We used the exhaust deflector to cook our food and heat our water for showers. I always had tunes in my 88's and one I even had a TV. We were truly independent and enjoyed our time away from everyone else.

Egan

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Egan
Last Name
Burgess
Member #

This wasn't my first vechile, but my families vehicle as a kid that I remember clearly with many fond memories. It was a 1976 (I think) Ford Van - Open Road RV conversion similar to the picture below, I know the one below is not a Ford, just the closet I could find on the web. My mother's best friend from High School had two sons the same age as my brother and I, they had the exact same van and we often travelled together. Many of my best child memories were in or because of that vehicle. My parents made sure we got into the wilderness a couple of times a month if not more. We explored everywhere in California - mountains, coast and desert. We took several trips to Oregon, Washington and British Columbia, always camping and backpaking in or out of that van. We were definately Overlanders, although if that term exsisted at the time we were not aware of it. My parents are both gone, I wish I could go back and thank them for the foundation they laid. Nothing brings me more happiness than a day in the wilderness.

Open Road.jpg

Dan Tracy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Watsonville, Ca
Member #

No photos, but in 1971/72 I offloaded in a stock 1957 VW bug. The only modification it had was the bailing wire that held the bumper on. I had to hold the gearshift back or it would jump out of gear when the RPMs got a little high. Lots of fun.

Reactions: Steve

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

'89 Chevy S10 long bed 4WD

My old man's truck. Had many a late night bombing around the ruins of the old Meadowdale Racetrack. Stuck more times than we could count, never got caught, by police or the old man. Did 'fess up to him around 15 years later and found out he had some pretty strong suspicions but never said anything, and actually wished wed gone together! LOL!

Joey D

Rank IV
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Holladay, UT
Member #

My first vehicle, I never took it offroad or into some remote area, but I did take it all over Michigan and got my first taste of "freedom". I spent many of nights sleeping in the back of it at the beach, in a rest area, in a camp ground, or wherever I could find a place to setup shop.

It was super impractical though, it was lowered 7" in the front and 5" in the rear, but I loved it. I ran a CARFAX on it a couple months ago and it's still kicking somewhere in Indiana. I'd love to be able to see it again.

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

My first vehicle, I never took it offroad or into some remote area, but I did take it all over Michigan and got my first taste of "freedom". I spent many of nights sleeping in the back of it at the beach, in a rest area, in a camp ground, or wherever I could find a place to setup shop.

It was super impractical though, it was lowered 7" in the front and 5" in the rear, but I loved it. I ran a CARFAX on it a couple months ago and it's still kicking somewhere in Indiana. I'd love to be able to see it again.
We had a Typhoon (previous gen S-15 Jimmy with a turbo slapped on the 4.3 and AWD) that I got to use Junior/Senior year of high school. The stories that thing could tell if I could find it...

1984 GMC Vandura 2500 Starcraft Conversion.

Before I daily drove it, it was the family vehicle and with 4 kids it had plenty of room.
It was only 2wd but with some truck tires on the back and plenty of weight it made it's way up some steep dirt, and rocky roads in the foothills of the Blue Mountains.

Joey D

Rank IV
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Holladay, UT
Member #

We had a Typhoon (previous gen S-15 Jimmy with a turbo slapped on the 4.3 and AWD) that I got to use Junior/Senior year of high school. The stories that thing could tell if I could find it...
I wanted nothing more when I was younger to have a Typhoon...actually come to think of it, I'd still really like one. It just seemed like such an odd concept but was so cool at the same time.

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

I wanted nothing more when I was younger to have a Typhoon...actually come to think of it, I'd still really like one. It just seemed like such an odd concept but was so cool at the same time.
It was scary fast...

B Wild

Rank VII
Supporter
Investor

Creator I

Issaquah, Washington
First Name
Neil
Last Name
Hall
Member #

1961 Chevy Brookwood station wagon. That old car went like a champ. I spent a lot of nights camping with it in the late 1980's. Wish I had pictures.

Elan

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Reidsville NC, 27320
Member #

My aunts jeep old jeep I borrowed a lot since my car always broke down. That jeepIMG_0096.jpg was the first I took down a trial but my 03 focus was always the root of adventure in high school, I wish I had taken more pictures of that car.

Reactions: dj_mccomas