What was your first vehicle you took exploring.

• HTML tutorial

vicali

Rank IV

Advocate II

Back when I was a kid I wanted Marty's rig..
When I turned 16 and got my DL I worked my butt off and made my own;

Had to sell it when I moved to the city and it wouldn't fit in the parkade.. The new owner pointed it south and drove it to Belize.

Egan

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Egan
Last Name
Burgess
Member #

1972 Ford Courier, Mustard Yellow with white racing strips, had white spoke rims with Dick Cepek Norseman tires, I drove it into the ground!!!!
My dad had a '76 Courier white with red and blue stripes. I never thought of it until now but pretty appropriate for 1976. I was only 8 at the time.

Egan

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Egan
Last Name
Burgess
Member #

Back when I was a kid I wanted Marty's rig..
When I turned 16 and got my DL I worked my butt off and made my own;

Had to sell it when I moved to the city and it wouldn't fit in the parkade.. The new owner pointed it south and drove it to Belize.
I used to work with a guy from Belize, he would go home every year for vacation. Before he went he would by a 4 wheel drive from someone and drive it down there. He would sell it and fly home. He said he could sell 4x4's down there than he paid here. I do not know if it is true, sounds crazy because everythings is cheaper south of the border but that was the story i got.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Depends on how you define exploring. I've always liked to roam around the countryside. It started with a 1960's model Massey-Ferguson #8 lawn tractor and riding around on the family farm as a kid. Then it was going out riding in my Mom's 1993 S10 Blazer 4x2 when I got my learner's permit. We'd drive around the roads in the mountains there around the community I grew up in and she'd show me family history. Then I got my first car, 1993 Cavalier Z24, followed shortly after by a 1989 Cavalier RS (dirt road rally champ!), and it was my buddies and I burning up the roads in the surrounding counties. Then came my 1998 Jeep Cherokee XJ and building it up as a mild wheeler but constantly going out riding around exploring where ever I happened to be. Now I'm wanting to start more "Overlanding" type trips in my Xterra, so everything has been a stepping stone to where I am now!

Reactions: dj_mccomas

vicali

Rank IV

Advocate II

I used to work with a guy from Belize, he would go home every year for vacation. Before he went he would by a 4 wheel drive from someone and drive it down there. He would sell it and fly home. He said he could sell 4x4's down there than he paid here. I do not know if it is true, sounds crazy because everythings is cheaper south of the border but that was the story i got.
This guy was looking for a rock solid 4x4 for traveling, but he wanted it to look old and a little rough to minimize his importing taxes, fees .. My truck was solid with a little lift, a bit bigger tires, exhaust, canopy, sleeping platform, winch, stereo.. looked old but ran forever.

Laughing Otter

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

13973 State Hwy 112, Sekiu, WA, USA
First Name
Ansa
Last Name
Langer
Member #

After the FIAT, I bought a new 1975 VW Scirocco, which we used for many car camping trips, and pulling a sailboat to various lakes around Virginia and North Carolina. This took me backpacking around Colorado and New Mexico.

Then a short stint in a Dodge Colt hatchback before buying a new 1988 Ford Ranger. With a cap on it, it was our boat puller, camping gear hauler, and bed on many trips. This is what took me backpacking around Mt Rainier for my 40th birthday. I have the same haircut there as I do now! :)

Geez Steve...didn't you ever have hair?! LOL, just kidding ;^) Awsome Fiat...I remember those growing up in Germany. I believe I mentioned on a similar forum topic that my families first exploration vehicle was an AMC Gremlin X...

Reactions: Steve

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Geez Steve...didn't you ever have hair?
No, I didn't!

It started disappearing more than 40 years ago around 20 years of age. Dad and Grandpa were bald as a cue ball, so I always knew what was coming. Other grandfather had a full head of hair till his last day. I got the wrong genes. The squinty Ranger pickup photo was taken very close to my 40th birthday, when my little brother and I backpacked the Wonderland Trail around Mt Rainier.

Laughing Otter

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

13973 State Hwy 112, Sekiu, WA, USA
First Name
Ansa
Last Name
Langer
Member #

No, I didn't!

It started disappearing more than 40 years ago around 20 years of age. Dad and Grandpa were bald as a cue ball, so I always knew what was coming. Other grandfather had a full head of hair till his last day. I got the wrong genes. The squinty Ranger pickup photo was taken very close to my 40th birthday, when my little brother and I backpacked the Wonderland Trail around Mt Rainier.
Nice catch! lol, even your fishing pole is bigger than you! Great pic. Yeah, I have one grandfather with a full head of luxurious hair and one as bald as the moon...and me...I'm 47 and have had a bald spot about 5-6 inches in circumference on the top rear of my head since I was 30...everywhere else...thick hair! It's like I got hair genes from both of them!

Reactions: Steve

Franklin Pepe

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Weymouth Massachusetts
Member #

The first off road vehicle I bought was a 1985 Ford Ranger and I drove some trails regularly with friends. After that I had a 1988 Ranger that I built as an off road camper. Then I met my first wife and she had no interest in outdoor life. After a 20 year marriage I grew up and left. Now I am happily getting back into outdoor adventures with my new wife and all our kids. Now our adventures began with an Explorer that the kids have been to 13 states and D.C. Now we went full size to a Sequoia to start new adventures

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

AndyH

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Warriewood NSW, Australia
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Hempsall
Member #

My second car a 1964 Series IIa SWB Land Rover. Broke it fixed it, broke it again and fixed it. Seemed to be a trend with that old girl. But was great to drive and everyone waved when you went by.

Reactions: pl626

RealMcCoy

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Rhode Island
Member #

Does a Honda 110 three wheeler count? If not then it was my dads 97 Jeep TJ. He still owns it today, 18 years later. I try to buy it from him all the time. He always refuses. He is currently restoring it.

RedSheep

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member I

Harpersfield, NY
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Oakley
Member #

Bit of a dead thread revival but I found looking threw the post here neat,

My first (back around 1988 or so) was a 77 Chevy vaga wagon, with posi trac rear and I used studded snow tire when in the woods .. with the judicious use of the skinny peddle think I ran most every trail in the woods I could find (all of which are sadly now closed or only open to snowmobiles and many of the old farms have been broken up and sold) .. think I spent as many summer nights sleeping in the back of that thing as in My own bed,

Last edited:
Reactions: 9Mike2