What was your first vehicle you took exploring.

• HTML tutorial

RaggedViking

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Readsboro, VT
Member #

This was my first vehicle EVER. 1985 Chevy S-10. I knew nothing about off-roading, overlanding, or rigs in general - but I took this thing everywhere it shouldn't have gone.
I was halfway up my doors in a local river when 4WD went out on me... And that was pretty much the beginning of the end, but boy howdy - did I have a lot of fun with it while it lasted.

This picture shows me at 16 at my Aunt and Uncle's house.
I drove from the place I bought the truck, to some trail off the side of the highway, and then back into my hometown to show it to my Uncle.
He passed away this year - but every major decision in life was confirmed with him... Vehicles, Jobs, Marrying my wife.... Anyway..

CHEVYS-4.jpg

XPlore

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Lomita
Member #

How do you like that Renegade? I had a chance to work on the accessory program for it and fell in love with the little bugger the minute I saw it!
What program?! I love it! Off road capabilities are iffy, but I think with a lift and tires it can do great!

Reactions: RaggedViking

Egan

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Egan
Last Name
Burgess
Member #

This was my first vehicle EVER. 1985 Chevy S-10. I knew nothing about off-roading, overlanding, or rigs in general - but I took this thing everywhere it shouldn't have gone.
I was halfway up my doors in a local river when 4WD went out on me... And that was pretty much the beginning of the end, but boy howdy - did I have a lot of fun with it while it lasted.

I drove from the place I bought the truck, to some trail off the side of the highway, and then back into my hometown to show it to my Uncle.
He passed away this year - but every major decision in life was confirmed with him... Vehicles, Jobs, Marrying my wife.... Anyway..

View attachment 11385
Awesone photo, my first 4 wheel drive was an 84 Ranger, I will have to see if I can find a vintage photo.

Reactions: RaggedViking

pl626

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

McLean, VA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Chen
Member #

View attachment 11385
I had a 91 s10 blazer, but it was only 2wd. I also took it everywhere it should not have been. I got it covered in so much mud that a few car washes told me they couldn't wash her for fear of clogging their drains. Worse, I had to show up at a wedding w/ my muddy blazer. My GF at the time was pissed, but the mud was a badge of honor...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

offroadohio

Rank IV

Advocate II

I took my 2wd ranger i had in hugh school alot of places I shouldn't have but never really explored much. After that I had a lot of dedicated off-road vehicles but those mostly stuck to Off Road parts so it wasn't really what I would consider exploring either.

I would probably say the first time I ever turn off of a gravel road into a two-track that led to the middle of nowhere was in my 1994 Mazda Protege.

I wasn't able to do a whole lot with it but it was the first vehicle I had that I trusted to go on wall over the road trips in which usually let me into the mountains of West Virginia and onto 2 track stuff

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

h.leehampton

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Member #

1998 dodge Durango 4x4. It was awesome until it was stolen in 2006, never was recovered. I am always looking for another one to transform into another trail monster.

Sent from my SM-G530T using OB Talk mobile app

RaggedViking

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Readsboro, VT
Member #

I had a 91 s10 blazer, but it was only 2wd. I also took it everywhere it should not have been. I got it covered in so much mud that a few car washes told me they couldn't wash her for fear of clogging their drains. Worse, I had to show up at a wedding w/ my muddy blazer. My GF at the time was pissed, but the mud was a badge of honor...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We would get kicked out mid-wash, under the cover of night... It sucked!! But yes, it was a badge of honor!

chrispartida

Rank VI

Advocate II

Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Partida
Member #

Had a 1996 ZJ as my first car to roam around in. Hydrolocked it in a river crossing up in the San Gabriel Mountains (Azusa, CA) during the El Niño in the early 2000s. Miss that thing sometimes.

-CP TACO
OB #3276

Egan

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Egan
Last Name
Burgess
Member #

This isn't mine but it looked like this one, with a matching top, tube bumpers, larger BFG all terrains and KC lites.Dodge Ram 50.jpg

Reactions: ASNOBODY