What vehicle and gear do you carry to go out and Overland?

• HTML tutorial

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

@Michael has a video on this. But with the way new people keep joining Overland Bound, and some of the many questions asked on this site, I thought it time to start a Thread that has pictures ( we love pictures ), and share detailed lists of what we carry in our vehicles. There are some here the are traveling full time. There are others that are out most weekends, then some just a few times in the summer months. Simple setups to complex. But why not pass this learning on to other that have many questions and share our wisdom all in one post? Let’s help all the new people get started in this great hobby of ours! Vance.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

The vehicle I use as of now is a 99’ Toyota 4Runner 4x4. Has 118,000 miles on it. I keep all the maintenance up to date and trust the dependability. I am running 265/75/16 Cooper AT3 tires on the stock lift. I have the factory locking rear axle, open front axle. I am using 4 stock cross bars on the roof of my Runner to attach and support my RTT ( Roof top tent ).

For navigation, I carry paper maps, and I am using Gaia Pro, on my iPad, and iPhone. Portable hand held cheap VHF/ walkie- talkies.

I carry a good complete first-aid kit. And a “Ten essentials” kit, that I put together.

The RTT is a Gordigear, that I bought used this last summer. Love it!

I have Two REI 30 degree sleeping bags that I zip together for a big roomy bag. I can add my down sleeping bag to the mix in cold weather. I can put my pillow in the same stuff bag.

I use Three clear medium size plastic totes, to keep some of my gear in. Then Two plastic milk crates for the rest. One tote for my dry goods foods. One tote for my dishes, biodegradable soap, cutting board, paper towels, tinfoil, stick matches, hot pan mittens, toilet paper. One for dog food, dog water and food pans. One milk crate, holds, extra propane canisters, propane lantern, extra mantles, extra Coleman fuel when using that stove. One holds my bottle jack and handle, hatchet, Flashlight, extra batteries for flashlight, gloves, extra small pieces of rope, 3lbs. Hammer,

I use a 35L. Canyon Cooler, for my cold foods and perishables. I freeze a One gal. water bottle, and use that in place of ice.

Two 6gal. water Jerry jugs from Walmart.

I have a small devided, Three shelved container that I use for my silverware, knives, spatula, and the like. I like using my Bedourie cooker, or one 10 inch cast iron pan.

I have many stoves to use, but most of the time I use a propane stove from my Turkey deep Fryer, or a Two burner Coleman multi-fuel stove. If using the propane stove I have a 2-1/2 gal.bulk propane tank, and a mast that works to hook up both propane stove and a lantern at the same time.

I have a duffel bag that I use for my clothing.

sometimes I carry an extra tarp.

I also carry an 12VDC ARB Twin portable air compressor, along with a full size spare tire! Also, a tire repair kit. Auto tire screw on tire deflators.

I carry Three DRings, 30’ tow strap, 20’ Hardened 3/8” chain with hooks on both ends.extra ratchet straps, 100’ of climbing rope.

I’m sure I missed some things, but this is most of it. This works for long and short trips just add more or less food and water depending on the length of my adventures.

I used ratchet straps to tie all my gear down in the back of my Runner, just in case of an accident!

Hope more will share share what you carry. Hope this helps answer someone‘s question on what to bring. Your list may be different than mine, and that’s how it should be. Learn by startling out with something like my list and add or change what you find you need as you need it. Take a look at the great articles and videos, that @Michael has put together. Best advice is to just get out there and explore! Be safe and have fun! Vance.
6C01FD49-5BD7-402E-9ECA-C652C87B35CE.jpeg93003872-1C37-4CB5-923F-52B8718FEAB5.jpeg0FD3DEEF-6A8D-42E6-9E94-CC5B28AD9D8C.jpeg86F340E4-74A0-4BD9-A359-D14BF11A262C.jpegD4B5C3E1-6645-45D1-8B20-4A036BBCE1D2.jpeg6BFD6601-0C7D-4482-A3B8-1B00DCA0CDE1.jpeg1A187098-275A-45E3-A7E6-EC566ACBD44E.jpeg

Last edited:

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Thanks Vance. Every bit and piece of info on travel , camping, and techniques is always helpful, even to those who have been doing it for awhile. Your equipment definitely shows it doesn't take much to get out there. Have you ever used Hot ice for the cooler for longevity sake. I use the gallon milk jugs myself for ice. It's cleaner and seems to last longer. Still, I am going to get a ref for Longggggg stays in the boon docks now that I have my solar panels - inverter and marine batteries (2). I have a 900w gas generator (very small) for emergencies that runs very quiet.

Because it's winter everywhere except down SE, I may just go ahead and drag my Scamp around so that I don't have to tent camp or SUV camp. I'm just going to make a few small changes to my rig for now and go ASAP after Christmas. My Old 13' Scamp trailer isn't as ready as I wanted, but it's livable (I think) after I add a solar connection to the existing electrical system and buy a propane tankless water heater for it. It has a propane water heater built in but that means keeping it burning 24 hours a day and I only want hot water on demand when needed. I can be more minimal at this point and still be good for an old man. Lanlubber

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I thought it time to start a Thread that has pictures ( we love pictures ), and share detailed lists of what we carry in our vehicles
I carry the bare minimum.
4 bins for clothes, toiletries.
DSCN1466.jpg

An old cooler for a dry box for crackers to cutlery. A $10 Cooltron cooler for refrigeration. Battery powered LED lights & headlamps.
DSCN1464.jpeg

And, the reason I built my own trailer, a spot to store the doors on the road.
IMG_1290 2.jpg

Nothing high tech.
Old fashioned camping sleeping bags on a full size 8" mattress.
DSC_0057.jpeg

Zero setup, zero tear down, park camp, in the morning if it's raining, roll out of bed and drive.

Last edited:

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I carry the bare minimum.
4 bins for clothes, toiletries.
View attachment 129428

An old cooler for a dry box for crackers to cutlery. A $10 Cooltron cooler for refrigeration. Battery powered LED lights & headlamps.
View attachment 129429

And, the reason I built my own trailer, a spot to store the doors on the road.
View attachment 129430

Nothing high tech.
Old fashioned camping sleeping bags on a full size 8" mattress.
View attachment 129431

Zero setup, zero tear down, park camp, in the morning if it's raining, roll out of bed and drive.
****************************************************************************************************************************************************************
You know I like it Billybob. For one it is home made and I like home made things. Second it's practical and has multi use, ! I know how you use the trailer in your work as well as for your sleeper- camper. I wish I was physically able to do things like that still. I have a tandem wheel car hauling trailer I built in 1968 that I had planned to build a mini cabin on (similar to yours) but my clock is running down and it just sits like a lot of other projects I cant finish.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

One step at a time. A tiny project each day. I too am less agile than I once was. Things like plywood I'll get cut to a size I can handle at the lumber yard. The advantage of being old is there is no reason to rush. Take your time, plan the work, accept the challenge of working slow. I'm technically retired and I only work a 5 hour day but my customers like my attention to detail and the lack of cussing when I work for them.

I sold my chainsaw last summer. It is just too big and dangerous at my level of fitness. I'll be buying a much smaller, lighter cordless electric one this spring. For the same reasons I'll be selling the gas weed eater and hedge trimmer too. Time to simplify life with cordless tools.

Depending on budget, there is always the option of hiring a helper. If your plans are detailed that might work. But finding the right person might be frustrating.

I take a deep breath every time I move those Jeep doors.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
One step at a time. A tiny project each day. I too am less agile than I once was. Things like plywood I'll get cut to a size I can handle at the lumber yard. The advantage of being old is there is no reason to rush. Take your time, plan the work, accept the challenge of working slow. I'm technically retired and I only work a 5 hour day but my customers like my attention to detail and the lack of cussing when I work for them.

I sold my chainsaw last summer. It is just too big and dangerous at my level of fitness. I'll be buying a much smaller, lighter cordless electric one this spring. For the same reasons I'll be selling the gas weed eater and hedge trimmer too. Time to simplify life with cordless tools.

Depending on budget, there is always the option of hiring a helper. If your plans are detailed that might work. But finding the right person might be frustrating.

I take a deep breath every time I move those Jeep doors.
I had no idea you are slowing down. You seem to be very active. All good advise, I'm not giving up.

Reactions: 4wheelspulling

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
@Michael has a video on this. But with the way new people keep joining Overland Bound, and some of the many questions asked on this site, I thought it time to start a Thread that has pictures ( we love pictures ), and share detailed lists of what we carry in our vehicles. There are some here the are traveling full time. There are others that are out most weekends, then some just a few times in the summer months. Simple setups to complex. But why not pass this learning on to other that have many questions and share our wisdom all in one post? Let’s help all the new people get started in this great hobby of ours! Vance.
My list is constantly being updated too so an ongoing thread is a great idea!

M

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Thank you, everyone that has responded so far! Thank you, Michael! Please also, tell a little about your vehicle and some of the mods done on it too, with your Overland gear lists that you use?

One piece of equipment that I did forget on my list is my Aluminum step ladder! Even though I am 6’ tall, it sure helps make the setup and takedown of my RTT easier! Vance.

Last edited:

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Thank you, everyone that has responded so far! Thank you, Michael! Please also, tell a little about your vehicle and some of the mods done on it too.

One piece of equipment that I did forget on my list is my Aluminum step ladder! Even though I am 6’ tall, it sure helps make the setup and takedown of my RTT easier! Vance.
Me too, roof rack is way up there for me. I use a plastic step stool at home but for the road I have a small 2.5' folding ladder.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Thank you, everyone that has responded so far! Thank you, Michael! Please also, tell a little about your vehicle and some of the mods done on it too, with your Overland gear lists that you use?

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign

Vance can you PM me ? I don't know how to start a PM message to you. Lanlubber

Bob (Fishingbob)

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Aransas Pass, Texas
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Burton
Member #

I keep the Morris Mule trailer set up packed and ready to go-just add food, water for coffee, drinks (usually Gatorade), slide the kayak on, gas up and I'm on the road-usually the beach. The Snomaster 56L and Renogy 20 solar charger and panel are in the Jeep most of the time, along with fishing gear, rods, reels etc.

Just wish I had this set up when I lived in New Mexico (instead of Texas) so I could have taken advantage of the BLM land.
thanks
Bob
Rear mounted Tepui-on Morris Mule.jpgJeep- Morris Mule Trailer.jpgdrawer system-1.jpgSnowmaster and Solar Charger st up.jpg

WE ROME

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Glenmoore, PA
First Name
Mac
Last Name
Kirkpatrick
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N3VMI, WRER282
Service Branch
USAF retired, fire p
I am not able to post my entire list so will try and put up several posts. My first long post was rejected.

The list below is "so far" and is not totally complete.

Our vehicle is a 2019 Tacoma TRD Off Road as that model comes with a 6 foot bed. It is "Cement" in color so our camper is the Cement Truck :-)

We are having a VERY light camper built using new materials and fastening methods: the camper will weigh ~ 400#, w/o gear, water, etc. Lightness is THE goal, so one burner stove, bucket for a toilet, outside shower, etc. It will have heat and a device to remove condensation from the interior, the bane of all campers. The bed of the truck has been removed, the frame highly modified for lightness and strength and extra storage space under the camper floor. The sleeping bed is over the cab of the truck and will be 4 inches wider than a queen size bed, a must for us! This vehicle is not finished yet but a pre-production camper, with only walls, is set up.

It will be optimized for offroad travel, so all the usual items, winch, bumpers, 4.88 gears, King suspension, sliders, etc. Note the tire and wheel info below.

See next post, I hope.

WE ROME

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Glenmoore, PA
First Name
Mac
Last Name
Kirkpatrick
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N3VMI, WRER282
Service Branch
USAF retired, fire p
  • *Signifies Completed
  • Bold is incomplete or TBD
Post 2:

+/- 18 feet long
VIN: 5TFSZ5AN8KX186435
16-inch rims, the OEM wheels are 7 inches wide!
Tires: OEM is P265/70R16 (30.6 inches tall) @ 30 psi. David initially recommended the Cooper 235/85-16, E rated (31.8 inches tall), (diameter is 31.89) on the 2020 STT Pro rim (4.188 lbs lighter), or 255/85R-16, E rated. Later recommended a Dick Cepek Extreme Country tire as being better. Dick Cepek Extreme Country in 235/85-16, Material #90000024295.
for a rim width between 6 & 7/12 inches, it has a max load of 3042#, can run 80 psi and weighs 46#. He said an E rating = 10 psi, or something like that.
Per Nick @ Dick Depek, it is good for 80 psi, a max weight of 3042#, and weighs 46#.
Weight of rim: Per David, 1 pound on the wheel is about 20 pounds on the truck, so for a 2020 PRO wheel, a weight saving of 4.88 lbs. per wheel x 5 wheels = 24 lbs total, would be like saving 480 pounds of truck weight.

PSI: Road, 35#. 18# on the trail, 12# for max flotation, per David.
TRD 2020 Pro wheel info from Robieh Bou-Fakreddine (TMS) obieh.bou-fakreddine@toyota.com, Oct 2019:

More re tire & wheel weight: The original P rated tire and rim weighs 64 pounds. The 2020 TRD Pro wheel weight is 4.88 pounds less than our TRD Offroad wheel. The new tire and rim combination weigh 64.4 pounds, so only .4 pounds more and the new tires are E rated, taller and mud terrain, which are heavier!
Toyota:
Nothing in this line!
PT946-35200-02 (Serv P/N)
New Wt./Wheel = 9700 g (21.4 lb)
Old Wt./Wheel = 11900 g (26.2 lb)
Change weight = - 2200 g (-4.8 lb)
Wheel will bolt directly to a TRD Off Road
Inset is same as prior year
The part should be available as a service part right now.

WE ROME

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Glenmoore, PA
First Name
Mac
Last Name
Kirkpatrick
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N3VMI, WRER282
Service Branch
USAF retired, fire p
Post 3:
Our truck:
5600# GVWR, 2910 front, 3280# rear.
Payload is 1175 # (from Toyota’s website), 1150# from data plate on truck.
Payload is 1620 # from PA registration, with a 2 in the windshield (cost more): Reg Gross Wgt: 5600 #, Unladen Wgt: 3980 #. So 5600-3980 = 1620 # payload. If weighed on the side of the road 3% more is allowed, so 1668# is the payload for an on the side of the road scale reading.
Certified scale says as delivered, it weighs 4,400 pounds, 2500 # front weight and 1860 # rear, per David Soza, 4/11/19. If use PA 1620# payload + 4400# actual weight, then max GVWR = 6020#.
HydroArmor #7763 for sealing frame, etc.
Checklist: Overland Checklist - Overland Bound

WE ROME

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Glenmoore, PA
First Name
Mac
Last Name
Kirkpatrick
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N3VMI, WRER282
Service Branch
USAF retired, fire p
Post 4:
PERSONAL ITEMS:
Books, for reading while driving & for personal reading
Cleats for snow, ice. Are any in pile?
*Cool tie or Shemagh, for warmth or cooling
*Crokies for glasses, 2 pair
Gaiters
*Glasses, reading, 2 pair + cases + 1 pair in long metal case
*Gloves, work, 2 pairs
Gloves, warm, Burton?,
*Gloves, Mechanix Wear, winching protection, see recovery gear
Grill, titanium, LiteOutdoors Titanium Stove
*Grille from TRD Pro, part # PT228-35180, from Lowe Toyota, Warner Robins, GA, via eBay.
*Hat, baseball, Skiveez
*Hat, warm, ear cap + skull
*Headnets, two mosquito
*Jacket, Mac, red fleece
*Kindling, fatwood
Lights, MESO, *dome is red, need red/white map lights, see turn signals
*Long underwear bottoms
*Long underwear top
Mat for wiping feet
*Matches, *butane windproof lighter +*BIC Minis, see fire starter Husky bag
*Meds, Nasal spray, 2 Fluticasone, Cipro, Limodium (diarrhea)
*Mosquito head nets, 2
*Mosquito repellent, see below
*Mug, insulated, stainless, for Mac
* Neck”, blue, but not a great one!
*Orange boundary tape
*Pajamas, Mac, *summer & *winter
*Pens, 2, fine point, black
*Post-It-Notes, yellow
*Rainsuit top

WE ROME

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Glenmoore, PA
First Name
Mac
Last Name
Kirkpatrick
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N3VMI, WRER282
Service Branch
USAF retired, fire p
Post 5, personal items continued:

Rainsuit bottom
*Safety whistle, 2
*Salt shaker
*Sandals
Scarf, Shemagh
Shirts
Shorts
Sleeping bags, mattresses, pillows (for being invited inside homes J
*Socks, wool, 2 pair, summer, 5 pair?
8Sunscreen
*Swimsuit
*Tarp (substituted by poncho, camo), or see/buy a fire blanket for ground cloth, dual use, + ~8 by 5 *Tyvek sheet
*Thermos, two
Toiletries to leave in camper
T-shirts
Towels
Towlets for fake baths
*Tweezers, fine and broad
*Umbrella
*Underpants, 10? pair
Undershirts
Washcloths
Walking stick for Mac, collapsible

*Water shoes
Wet wipes
*Water shoes

WE ROME

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Glenmoore, PA
First Name
Mac
Last Name
Kirkpatrick
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N3VMI, WRER282
Service Branch
USAF retired, fire p
Post 6:

VEHICLE:
A/C, camper, by Hounditioner?, Mini Gree in Canada, seegreecomfort.com a mini split
*Air compressor, Extreme Outback, Endura, Apr 16, 2019, Order # EOP-2019-2819. To be plumbed with DOT air brake line.
Air bags for rear axle, using Daystar cradle kit by DAS
*Air intake mod parts (IOW no snorkel)
*Alcohol wipes
*ARB locker, front, see gears below
*Awning, Dobinson
*Axe (smallish axe only; to be chocked up on when necessary, Granfors Bruk, Sweden)
*Baseball bat, small
*Batteries, *CR123A, *AA & *AAA, all in *Malamute storage cases
*Batteries, back up, for key fob, CR2412
*Battery, vehicle, replacement X2Power Premium AGM BCI Group 27F, 60-month, full replacement warranty
*Battery for Milwaukee electric chainsaw, drill & grinder, 9 AH, 18 volt
*Belt, serpentine, engine
*Binoculars
*Blow pipe for starting fires
*Bolt cutter, Olympia, 24”, folding
*Bottle opener
*Bowls, plates, see Melanie
*Brake lines, extended, from Headstrong Off-Road, shipped July 26 from CA
Bucket for cleaning, fold up
Bulbs, David gets them here: Candlepower Shopping Homepage
Bump stops, by Wheeler’s Off-Road, David to install them with the air bag system
*Bumpers F/R, CBI, have two D shackle attachment points F/R for 3/4-inch shackle, 7/8-inch pin, ordered Apr 11, 2019, received July 24, 2019,
*Cell booster, weBoost Drive Reach 470154 + 4G OTR Antenna, Truck Edition 304415, adaptor 970030, ordered Aug 21, 2019. Supposed to work in Canada, & Mexico w/Nextel. Telcel, Movistar per phone call w/weBoost, Samantha, Aug 21, 2019.
*Center console organizers, by OCD, Apr 15
Chain?, length for hauling tough things such as a log

WE ROME

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Glenmoore, PA
First Name
Mac
Last Name
Kirkpatrick
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N3VMI, WRER282
Service Branch
USAF retired, fire p
Post 7:
Vehicle continued:

*Chainsaw, Milwaukee, 16”, electric
*Chainsaw, bar oil
*Chainsaw, container for bar oil
*Chain, extra, for chainsaw
*Chainsaw sharpening file, 5/32 w/handle
*Chainsaw super charger, Milwaukee, 110 volt, 48-59-1810
*Chairs, Helinox, swiveling, 2
*Charger, for apple watch, + 2 for Apple phone
Charger, REDARC? dual input 25A in-vehicle charger, for AGM, Lithium and solar, “Dual Input in-vehicle DC Battery Charger”, BCDC1225D
*Clothes line, fold up
*Clothes pins
Comforter, down duvet?
Cook set, pots & pans, Magna nesting?
Cord, nylon, 550
*Cowl induction snorkel, see Cowl induction snorkel
Dash cover?, carcoverusa/dash mat
*Dome light, red, from MESO Customs, ordered Aug 7, see turn signals
*Drill bits, 1/16-3/8, Milwaukee, ordered July 25
DYNAMAT: Use the Dynamat sparingly on the floor of the Tacoma. It's pretty good as delivered. Some in the door panels would help too. Use it anywhere sheet metal can vibrate. You can tell by tapping with a hard object. Then use a good barrier layer, like MLV under your carpet. This will make a difference you can hear!
The shell of the cabin is made of low durometer material and has higher density material in it. It is naturally quiet. I would suggest trying it before worrying about that. We could add a carpet head liner for best acoustics. I have good materials for that.
Fan, battery operated, see Amazon list
Fire blanket, see tarp, & use a tarp of some kind as ground cloth, tarp & fire blanket, truckers tarp?, *Tyvek 5 by 8 foot tarp