What trail condition do you LOVE the most?

• HTML tutorial

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

So my previous post on the trail condition you FEAR the most had some pretty good replies. This time, I'd like to know what trail condition is your favorite?

I'll start off with granite rock. Like a giant slab or mountain's worth of it. The traction it gives is unbelievable. To this day I still get a little giddy when climbing a steep ledge or rock and the truck just climbs like a billy goat and there's not an inch of tire spin.

My other favorite is a dusty trail just after a light rain. The rain just packs the dirt enough to not kick up the dust and not clog the gaps between the tire lugs. There's usually not enough water for true muddy, slick conditions. Of course this is a very rare occurrence. Usually (as they say), when it rains it pours, and that Goldilocks of conditions disappears before you even get to the trailhead.

Reactions: Glenn

Captain Chaos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
I'm a bit of an adrenaline junkie, so I love the harder sections of trail. My wife wants to do Blackbear Pass, and I can hardly wait to make plans to do it! I'm also happy just being anywhere in the wild though. I enjoy myself just cruising fire roads.

Daniel Etter

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fishers, IN
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Etter
Member #

I loved snow and sand in the H3! It would float across the top without issue of sinking in. I haven't been able to take the new rig out to see how it performs in rough terrain yet, but I'm pretty optimistic it will perform well! [emoji12]

Masheen365

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

South GA
Member #

I like the mountain trails/roads that give us a good view.
I'm mostly stock so don't aim for the deep stuff but I enjoy throwing it in 4low to get over an obstacle.
But, at heart, I'm a dirt road junkie. Cruise about 35 and just enjoy the weather, scenery and maybe a little Waylon (or Whiskey Myers). In South GA the 4PM rain wets the roads enough to keep the dust down and then it's just that 2-35 AC.

Cavo

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger II

Great Falls, VA, USA
First Name
Colin
Last Name
Richard
Member #

If I had to choose, a cool, muddy backroad. I can let the window in the back and sides down without dust all over my interior....hate that!!!

shoredreamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Cruz
First Name
Chris
Last Name
RRU
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6AZV
So my previous post on the trail condition you FEAR the most had some pretty good replies. This time, I'd like to know what trail condition is your favorite?

I'll start off with granite rock. Like a giant slab or mountain's worth of it. The traction it gives is unbelievable. To this day I still get a little giddy when climbing a steep ledge or rock and the truck just climbs like a billy goat and there's not an inch of tire spin.

My other favorite is a dusty trail just after a light rain. The rain just packs the dirt enough to not kick up the dust and not clog the gaps between the tire lugs. There's usually not enough water for true muddy, slick conditions. Of course this is a very rare occurrence. Usually (as they say), when it rains it pours, and that Goldilocks of conditions disappears before you even get to the trailhead.
Brenton, that second condition is what most mountain bikers would call Hero Dirt! Tacky, full of traction with no dust or mud collection. Makes you feel like a super hero!! I think the term can be transferred over to 4 wheels, ha.

Reactions: 4xFar Adventures

Tim

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Oxford, UK
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lunn
Member #

After lasts years trip to Morocco I have to say 'Desert' although the terrain varied from soft sand to hard packed gravel and rock. The variety and the scenery great to drive through. That said the challenge of making it through the soft sand was the most satisfying!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: 4xFar Adventures

Anchor Mtn

US Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fruita, Colorado
Member #

Two track Sand roads are fun. Just enough give to cruise along smoothly. Im also a big fan of open rock... granite or sandstone.

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

Brenton, that second condition is what most mountain bikers would call Hero Dirt! Tacky, full of traction with no dust or mud collection. Makes you feel like a super hero!! I think the term can be transferred over to 4 wheels, ha.
"Hero Dirt"? I love it!

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

Seems like we can all agree that any terrain not covered with asphalt or concrete is a winner in our books! I like hearing when one person's favorite terrain is another's bane.

Reactions: Tim

Ironhide Fx4

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

VT
Member #

I like good old dirt roads. I also like wider trails with some rocks thrown in that don't come near my frame. Muddy trails are great as long as there isn't a steep drop off any where haha. I just want to get into the woods and mountains and enjoy the drive along with nice views.

I don't mind more technical stuff if I'm in a SxS or an ATV. However, I don't want to damage my truck. Pin striping is not ideal either...... yet. I'm looking into linexing the truck eventually.

Joey D

Rank IV
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Holladay, UT
Member #

Forest roads that are dry, not super washed out, and has a really nice view. I don't mind a little bit of challenging terrain but I don't have the skills to navigate anything really tricky and with my truck being my daily, I'm not keen on trying to teach myself through trial and error.

Reactions: Ironhide Fx4

Influencer II

Never been, but seeing the videos of Imogene pass, I SERIOUSLY Love that!

Something i've done, I enjoyed Bishop. While it was mostly flat, there were some obstacles, but waking up to sunrise with the huge boulders was quite amazing.

NW David

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gig Harbor, WA
Member #

Wet enough to keep the dust down but not so wet it's a muddy mess. It's normally either dry or soaking wet in the PNW though.
Right! Goes from Dusty to standing water pretty fast up here. Guess it's a good thing I love both conditions. One just takes more patience and scouting.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: giarc1234