What Trail Condition Do You Fear The Most?

• HTML tutorial

RaggedViking

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Readsboro, VT
Member #

Two things:
1. Having to back down through anything super technical, especially on rocks and inclines, or in this case - declines.
(I don't mind this so much in my 4Runner, but it sucked in my Tundra).

2. The same situation - but on Ice!
(Again, the Tundra was much worse - so big and heavy - it would just start to slide.)

... I did love that Tundra however.

Captain Josh

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid-Michigan
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Fornwall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4WOL
And finally, off-camber scares me the most. I get nervous pretty quickly as the top starts to angle over...

Reactions: 4xFar Adventures

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Ice. Plain and simple. My Dad and I decided to take our Cherokees up a local forest service road several years ago in the snow. At the top of the first little plateau, we realized that under the 2" of snow on the road was a solid sheet of clear ice. We pushed on a bit further to see if the south facing roads would be better and they weren't. Where we turned around was after a short descent and climbing back out was rough. My first attempt turned into what amounted to a free-fall back about 75 yards just looking out the back window and sawing the wheel to keep it as straight as I could. I came to rest, gently, against a bank with one tire in the ditch. It pulled itself out and the second attempt was much more successful, but hairy just the same.

EDIT: Found a picture from that day. Mine is the white Jeep. Looks deceiving but under that dusting of snow was a solid sheet of ice.

I avoid water and deep mud if at all possible as well. I don't mind a good solid breakage, but the wearing out and seizing that mud and water cause is just annoying. I've had to torch and split one set of bearing to save a spindle and I DO NOT want to have to do that again. Plus unit bearings....

Last edited: