What to do with that spare tire (trucks)

• HTML tutorial

1derer

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

I am sure this has been part of many discussions but I'd love to hear if there are any other creative ideas that have not been thought of...

1. Under the truck where it was designed to go: Honestly I'd love to do this but common problem over sized tires don't fit under the truck.
2. Custom swing away: Always an option coming at a cost. In my case I have a sleeper camper that already extends as far off the back of the frame and wouldn't want to add more. As you can see from the picture putting on back could be problematic.
3. Roof rack: Like to avoid putting weight on the roof!
4. Who needs a spare, I've got patches and an air compressor.

20190221_174416.jpg

Reactions: Chadlyb

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

You have the perfect place right in the middle of your taillights. Move what's there. Mount a tire mount plate to the wood strip letting the tire rest on top of your storage chest without putting weight on the mounting bracket. Call it good. Just an idea....good luck.

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

my current trailer I built I fabricated a spare tire mount on the tongue, it works quite well for the 215x75Rx15" General Grabber 2 AT. (shown in photo)

My new project for my square back trailer I will be fabricating a swing out spare tire rack (at the rear of the trailer) that will hold 235x75Rx15" General Grabber 2 AT & a 41" Bulldog Hi Lift Jack.
Spare IMO is important to have, puncher kit not always solves the problem especially on a torn sidewall or bent rim. My truck I run the same size tires (factory) 265x75R16" but in a Cooper Discovery AT2 & my spare is a Firestone in the same size with a stock ugly steel rim tucked under the bed.

45767214_1924210364294495_1882812537561415680_n.jpg51482017_2043118645736999_7684894968808210432_n.jpg

1derer

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

You have the perfect place right in the middle of your taillights. Move what's there. Mount a tire mount plate to the wood strip letting the tire rest on top of your storage chest without putting weight on the mounting bracket. Call it good. Just an idea....good luck.
Maybe with some reinforcement , the wood strip is bolted through the camper which is honeycomb plastic skinned with fiberglass so its strong but not that strong. back plating it might be good enough. Box would also need support but possible with moving blinkers and license plate as they would be blocked by the tire otherwise.

That was the place that I am considering currently I put it in the roof rack above the cab.

Thanks!20190311_094338.jpg20190311_092825.jpg

Reactions: Chadlyb

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

Maybe with some reinforcement , the wood strip is bolted through the camper which is honeycomb plastic skinned with fiberglass so its strong but not that strong. back plating it might be good enough. Box would also need support but possible with moving blinkers and license plate as they would be blocked by the tire otherwise.

That was the place that I am considering currently I put it in the roof rack above the cab.

Thanks!View attachment 89485View attachment 89486
Great looking rig and setup.

Reactions: 1derer