What means of communication do you have available?

• HTML tutorial

What means of communication do you have for the trail?

• Total voters

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I have a hard copy also, what I like about the app is when we are 4 wheeling it shows my location and the list of repeaters in distance from my location,I usually set the range at 20 or 50 miles

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk
Oh don't get me wrong, I use the app most of the time. You can also enter locations manually to preload your radio if you know the area you'll be in. I sat on the beach last year and tried out repeaters with my HT. I'm probably going to do the same thing this year! I Just like to have the book with me just in case. Ounce of prevention and what not. :wink:

AKBushDag

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Palmer, Alaska
First Name
David
Last Name
Plant
Member #

Time to update my list of communication types that I have access to in the rig. The forums have been invaluable as a treasure throve of useful information based on the many years of combined experience of my fellow overlanders. When I first participated in this poll, I felt that I was pretty much covered in terms of the various types of communciations but after reading some of the other responses, I quickly realized that I was a bit behind the times. I saw multiples mentions of something called Delorme InReach and I had read many mixed reviews of the spotty and unreliable coverage offered by the subscription-based SPOT tracking system over the years. My knowledge on the whole subject was a bit primitive and definitely out-of-date. Time to learn more!

I was fortunate to also attend my first OB rally last Wednesday night and saw how the various rigs were outfitted with communication equipment. This was a great learning experience and @hallry spoke to me about all the positive sides of the well developed and reliable Delorme InReach that he had installed in his rig. It was an eye-opener and I appreciated his recommendations. I also noticed that it was a common device in most of the rigs I looked at or more accurately drooled over! I knew that I had to learn more about it.

A few months ago, I was overlanding in the desert east of Yuma Arizona when my wife fell ill and had to be rushed to emergency. While I had a fully functioning Ham Radio, FRS, GMRS, MURS, and a CB, I had no cell service, which was the only means that she had from over 600 miles away to reach me. I emerged from the desert, drove to Yuma for provisions and only then learned of her illness and hospitalization.

After many hours of research and the OB rally, I knew that the Delorme InReach satellite-based 2-way messaging system could have been used to reach me.
My research also revealed that the much-admired Delorme InReach SE and Explorer models had just been discontinued by Garmin who had acquired Delorme last year and had now merged this trusted technology into the newer, unproven and more expensive Garmin InReach+ and Explorer+ models. Online inventories of these older models are quickly drying up as folks rush to buy the last remaining ones. Last night, I was fortunate and managed to buy one of the last available Delorme InReach SE models from the REI online store.
View attachment 22648
I had checked a few days ago with no luck. This morning, they are all sold out again. Good timing! I just hope that I was not the victim of an online inventory glitch and that it actually ships.
I plan to initially combine this device with the flexible recreational freedom plan, which as the name suggests allows me the freedom to suspend service during those months when I am not overlanding. I might adjust the plan as I begin to use this new messaging system.
View attachment 22647
My research also came across an excellent thread regarding Personal Locator Beacons and how they differ greatly from the "SPOT", "InReach" Personal Messenger-based communication systems. This is another area where I am a complete novice. Special thanks to @AKBushDag for sharing his knowledge on the topic.
PLBs (Personal Locator Beacons) should only be used in situations of grave and imminent danger, and only as a last resort when all means of self-rescue have been exhausted.
No subscriptions, no two-way communication, just a simple registration is required. The device does not need charging and is ready-to-go out of the box. The battery has a five year shelf-life. The 5 watt transmitter is many times more powerful than the "SPOT" and "InReach" Personal Messenger-based communication systems and can be reliably used in heavy tree cover and steep valley areas. It will transmit your GPS location and identification at 406 MHz and simultaneously act as a homing beacon for Search and Rescue at 121.5MHz for about 1.5 days. It has even been designed to be operated with just one hand. Two simple steps are all that's needed to activate the beacon.
View attachment 22650
After some research, I visited my local REI today and bought the ACR Electronics ResQLink+ GPS Personal Locator Beacon. Online registration only took a few minutes and now I am good to go. I just have to get into the habit of having the PLB with me. This is priceless insurance for the unexpected, worst case scenario. Whilst extremely rare, tragedies do happen and I want to stay as safe as possible while overlanding, offroading and hiking as I am sometimes alone and accidents can happen to even the most prepared.
Thank you for taking the time to check out and mention my post on communications. You now have the same PLB that I take everywhere here in Alaska. Also, you were wise to select the Delorme InReach over the Spot. If I were to obtain a personal messenger, the InReach is the one to get. It operates on the same satellite system and the Iridium Satellite Phones, which is significantly superior to the Spot (Globestar Satellite System). Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Sean S

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

California, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
S
Thank you for taking the time to check out and mention my post on communications. You now have the same PLB that I take everywhere here in Alaska. Also, you were wise to select the Delorme InReach over the Spot. If I were to obtain a personal messenger, the InReach is the one to get. It operates on the same satellite system and the Iridium Satellite Phones, which is significantly superior to the Spot (Globestar Satellite System). Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.
You are very welcome! I am delighted that I was able to find your very useful posts, which set me down the road to learn more about this fascinating new type of PLB-based technology. All of your points were based on personal experience and years of actually using this equipment, which made them invaluable. The hardest part of my decision was try to decide, which model was the best for me.
PLB Comparison.jpg Despite not being the most powerful transmitter or possessing the longest-lasting battery, its small size, light weight, buoyancy, rugged case, and strap loops at each end of the device made the ResQLink+ the clear choice for me and my needs. It seems to be naturally optimized for use on the trails. Being so small and light, I will have no problem integrating it into my hiking backpack, attaching it the straps on the outside or even sticking it in a pocket. I am kind of reminded of an old saying, which I think is relevant when discussing PLBs. "The best PLB is the one that you have on you when you need it most." Attaching the PLB to the inside of my jeep may not be the best idea, especially if in the worst case scenario, the jeep ends up on fire or is now lying inaccessible in a ditch or swept away by mother nature. I am super-excited to integrate it into my kit.:grinning: It is perhaps, the loss of the jeep and all my provisions and tools stored within, which I fear the most when I am overlanding at long range from civilization.

I did get shipping information for the Delorme InReach SE today. It is due to arrive in about a week's time. The best part of this device is that I can pair it with an Iphone or Ipad, which will make typing text messages or tracking my waypoints on a digital map so much easier. It's nice to be off the grid but it is reassuring to know that given the two-way communication offered by this system, I can easily reconnect with friends and family or vice versa at a moments notice should the need arise whilst many, many miles from the nearest cellular network.

Reactions: AKBushDag

AKBushDag

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Palmer, Alaska
First Name
David
Last Name
Plant
Member #

You are very welcome! I am delighted that I was able to find your very useful posts, which set me down the road to learn more about this fascinating new type of PLB-based technology. All of your points were based on personal experience and years of actually using this equipment, which made them invaluable. The hardest part of my decision was try to decide, which model was the best for me.
View attachment 22713 Despite not being the most powerful transmitter or possessing the longest-lasting battery, its small size, light weight, buoyancy, rugged case, and strap loops at each end of the device made the ResQLink+ the clear choice for me and my needs. It seems to be naturally optimized for use on the trails. Being so small and light, I will have no problem integrating it into my hiking backpack, attaching it the straps on the outside or even sticking it in a pocket. I am kind of reminded of an old saying, which I think is relevant when discussing PLBs. "The best PLB is the one that you have on you when you need it most." Attaching the PLB to the inside of my jeep may not be the best idea, especially if in the worst case scenario, the jeep ends up on fire or is now lying inaccessible in a ditch or swept away by mother nature. I am super-excited to integrate it into my kit.:grinning: It is perhaps, the loss of the jeep and all my provisions and tools stored within, which I fear the most when I am overlanding at long range from civilization.

I did get shipping information for the Delorme InReach SE today. It is due to arrive in about a week's time. The best part of this device is that I can pair it with an Iphone or Ipad, which will make typing text messages or tracking my waypoints on a digital map so much easier. It's nice to be off the grid but it is reassuring to know that given the two-way communication offered by this system, I can easily reconnect with friends and family or vice versa at a moments notice should the need arise whilst many, many miles from the nearest cellular network.
If I were to have only one PLB, then the ResQLink is my go to choice. If I do a lot of water travel then the ResQLink+ (built in flotation) would be my first choice. I have the standard ResQLink and also purchased the proprietary neoprene case, which gives it flotation. I originally used the ACR TerraFix 406 PLB (Pre REsQLink), which is significantly larger, but when they came out with the REsQLink, I immediately bought it as well. The Terra Fix is my Vehicle PLB and the ResQLink is my "everything else" PLB. Often times I have both. I also have an Iridium Satellite Phone for text and voice comm, however if I didn't have that, I would get an InReach.

Also, I just keep my PLB in my vehicle's glove or center console, that way I "grab N go" with it, if need be. Also, for fire protection I suggest a Halotron fire extinguisher.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sean S

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
Cell phone (except half the time there is no signal), ham, FRS and I can yell really loudly.

I could add CB if I felt the need (I have two of them in the garage and Varmint #1 keeps collecting them at swap meets), but ham seems to serve us better.

I can't believe only 30% of respondents can yell really loudly. Must not be many folks with kids.

RockyMountaineer

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Laramie, WY, USA
First Name
Mathew
Last Name
Threadgill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N5MST
For me cell phone and amateur radio gets the job done. A cell phone should be standard equipment this day and age. Everyone has one and they are invaluable for any number of reasons. But when off the beaten path and communication w/o supporting infrastructure is required then amateur radio is where it is at. So much flexibility between modes, bands, power, and antenna configurations give the user the most flexible and versatile means of communication around.

CDN Offroader

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

St. Albert, AB, Canada
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Houghtaling
Member #

I generally go travelling to get away from communicating with people. But I grudgingly own a cell phone, and have a CB for when I'm on organized trail runs.

Simon Wolfe

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sunnyvale, CA
First Name
Simon
Last Name
Wolfe
Member #

My wife and I are both hams so we usually stick with 2m. I have a CB in the car and MURS programmed in a couple of old HTs that we drag around (I think one is starting to fail). We both have cell phones but coverage in got guaranteed.

Lead K9

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Franklin Park, Illinois
First Name
Lead
Last Name
Dog
Member #

Our group opts for CBs as they are cheap and easy to use. Everyone also has mobile phones, but we tend to only use them before and after the group assembles.

RobRed

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

I'm not picking on anyone when I say this, but it's more of a curiosity when CB is called out as cheap and easy... I think anyone who has used 2m HAM would say it's vastly superior to a CB radio in all measurable categories. In terms of price a 5 watt HH 2M ham can be had for <$30.

I guess that just leaves easy for the CB. The ham requires you to answer 30 questions to obtain a tech license. I'm not a ham enthusiast I use them for trail comms. They are well worth the time (study online for a couple hours the night before a test that takes less than 30 minutes) to obtain the license.

Reactions: Road

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I didn't really start this to debate which was better, but rather to just get an idea of how popular the different means were. I have Ham in my Xterra constantly and can add CB pretty easily as well as a FRS radio hand held. I'm going to get my GMRS license soon as well.

dstock

Rank VI

Influencer I

Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Stockslager
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGS
Just added a Midland MXT115 GMRS to my collection of radios, 15 watts and is repeater capable. Got to say, for a small unit, it's really beefy feeling, even the mic is a cast metal versus all the plastic ones these days. I don't travel with to many folks with Ham, so GMRS and CB works for me for now. Also super easy to hand a handheld FRS/GMRS radio to folks who don't have one of their own with basically no learning curve.

Reactions: Doug C

TOMB

Local Expert Central Valley CA

Explorer I

Clovis Ca
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Butler
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6STB
In the Jeep, Icom dual band mobile, CB, and various handhelds (dual band, uhf, vhf, frs, and CB).

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

TOMB

Local Expert Central Valley CA

Explorer I

Clovis Ca
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Butler
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6STB
What up @Jake Wettern | iamjake ?

Any way I have the following on any of the adventure trips we take:
Cell phones x2
2m HAM Mobile x2
2m HAM Handheld x2
Inmarsat SAT Phone 1x
ACR PLB x1
Same setup here, except Sat phone. The ACR PLB goes with me work or play.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk