What means of communication do you have available?

• HTML tutorial

What means of communication do you have for the trail?

• Total voters

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Baofeng BF-F8HP VHF/UHF Dual Band, 40 channel CB w/NOAA Weather channels (saved my butt more than once), cell phones w/Verizon, ATT, & T-Mobile, coupla tin cans and a string. . .

Wotan

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Der
Last Name
Wotan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE3R
In-car mobile radios for ham (2m/70cm), FRS/GMRS, MURS, Public Safety; handheld CB.

Reactions: TerryD

drrobinson

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Evergreen, CO, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Robinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W0DRR
I’ve got HAM 2m/70cm, CB, Spot Gen 3

Considering adding a mobile GMRS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HKLover

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Ohio/Tenn
First Name
John
Last Name
Shanower
Member #

Ham 2m/1.25m/70cm, CB, cell phone, flares, semaphore flags* and if all else fails including my voice, smoke signals, and an emergency whistle.

*I do not actually have or know how to use semaphore flags.........

FrankRoams

Local Expert Southern CA

Member III

Aliso Viejo, CA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6TRD
Just wired coax in my truck so I can thread a CB antenna or a dual band ham antenna depending on what I want that trip. Both are handhelds so I can go fully mobile on whichever doesn't get the coax/antenna or just unplug and take the radio with me. Eventually I might get a mobile mounted in the truck but for now, I like the versatility.

I normally have Dual Yaesu FT60R Ham, Midland 75-822 CB, Motorolla GMS/FRS radio with NOAA. I also carry a Garmin inReach and my cell. I think that pretty much covers any scenario I need for comms. Spare batteries and vehicle adapters/chargers as well.
Sounds like a lot but they all fit neatly in a small tote when not in use. I am usually only on 1 radio, and the inReach is mounted to the window. The rest are tucked away as back up.

Reactions: Bilbo

naysjp

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Renay
Last Name
Johnson
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6DHG
CB, HAM and Spot Trace. I have the subscription so that people can follow me during my travels if I want them to. I always have my cellphone with me for when I am in range of a cellular signal.

Reactions: TerryD

Sauerkraut088

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Wequetequock
First Name
Wesley
Last Name
Wollschlager
Member #

This kind of stems from a discussion @yabbaz and I were having this morning and it got me thinking. So this thread isn't to discuss the merits of any one means of communication, rather to just gauge what the community has available as a whole. I figured a poll would be easiest. If I missed any options let me know. Hopefully I can edit the poll?
In my tank, i have had a CB for years and sill do, but not happy with it. It comes in like crap and transmits ok. I probably have to upgrade the unit because it's a 40.00 unit from walmart. I a VHF radio for work, and recently installed a 5 watt GMRS radio. So far the audio is clear, transmits and receives pretty well. .

Reactions: Bilbo and TerryD