Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Gerber, Kershaw, callimus,ckrt are all real good knives on the less expensive side. I carry either a ckrt minimalist or a gerber lmf on the waist at all time and have a callimus machete I use my blades for everything from kitchen duty to cutting shad for bait, skinning livestock and game, cutting rope, tape, prying, screwdriver, and many other uses. The most important things to do and look for is learn to sharpen a knife and if you want a knife that is gonna last a good while get a full tang fixed blade knife. A folder is likely to fail and can hurt you in the process.

Reactions: Sparksalot

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
My small Leatherman is an invaluable tool.

I have a number of knives (other than the kitchen variety), but the little Leatherman gets more use than all the rest of them combined (excluding the kitchen ones). For me convenience of carry is more important than bragging rights.

T. Stanley

Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep Kansas
Launch Member

Member III

Clay Center, Kansas
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

I have to say first, I collect knives so I have quite a few, some I like so much they rarely make it out of the house out of fear of losing them, one being the one my grandfather gave me a few days before he died. Here are my go to blades, they all have their place and uses but all are quality knives. From left to right, a good all round camp knife is the Ontario Blackbird SK5 with a Hedgehog leatherworks sheath ( yes the same setup my buddy Creek Stewart would give to one of the “fat guys in the woods”) next is my favorite fixed blade a Benchmade Bushcrafter 162, it has the S30V steel blade and stays super sharp and is my “kitchen camp knife”, I am in the process of making a new sheath as the one it came with is quite useless in my opinion, next is a Buck 501 custom ordered from Bucks knife shop also with S30V steel blade. It has a cherrywood handle and silver bolsters, and my name engraved into the blade, next is a Buck 110 I bought a few years back to replace an older one that I needed to “retire” before I lost it. and last is my 2 blade whittling knife I use quite a bit around the camp fire, I love to whittle, I feel good when I make something from a hunk of wood i find while out exploring. I have a collection of hiking sticks I have made over the years and I will most likely whittle another one while on the TAT trip this summer.
15041670-DBA5-4436-A622-5FFE9ABFA758.jpeg

Reactions: 64Trvlr

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
I rotate my EDC pocket knife from an assisted open gerber to a voyager. I have a leatherman I keep handy when camping or for random needs around the house. I really enjoy my Becker BK9 for general camp use for breaking down firewood for kindling and tinder, as well as for clearing brush. Very valuable in addition to a hatchet and hand saw.

Mekcanix

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
First Name
John
Last Name
McLaughlin
Member #

I always carry a multitool for a couple of decades now, almost like religion, for the last 6-7 years I have carried my Leatherman Surge and a swear by it. Before that it was a SOG multi tool, which I also enjoyed having till it broke. I find I can have it on my belt and not get any hassles. When I carried a fixed blade( I am a bit of a knife nut) I found I would attract unwanted attention.
The Surge is a bit bulky but man is it useful (I run a maintenance shop and am a Millwright by Trade) I am hunting for my third sheath for it as it is worn out again.

Reactions: Murphy Slaw

ptgarcia

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Alta Loma, CA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Garcia
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6PSF
My daily carries are folders; a 20 year old Spiderco Pacific Salt with Japanese-made H-1 steel blade and a Buck 547 with USA made S30V blade.

When in the "woods" (not many here in SoCal, hahaha) I like to carry a fixed blade; either a Helle Harding or a really cool knife made from an old file I purchased off an Ojibwe native American years ago while in Arizona. I love them all!

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
My go to pocket knife for daily carry is a Kershaw Brawler. Spring assist opening. They run around 20 dollars so I keep a few around as spares. Easy to use not expensive so if I lose it I'm not going to be upset. I also carry a Gerber Diesel multi-tool daily and keep another in the ashtray of my XJ.

Every now and then at work I carry Leatherman Raptor multitool/shears.

Cascadianoverlander

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Vancouver, Washington, United States
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Davidson
Member #

I have a Benchmade Griptilian that I love and stays mostly in the truck unless I’m out doing stuff. I also carry a Leatherman Skeletool for work during the week since I work in maintenance. It’s nice and gives you knife/pliers/both screwdrivers and has a nice pocket clip. I would wholeheartedly recommend either or both.

Andrew95

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Gastonia, NC, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Smith
Member #

My work knife is a benchmade sidekick, a little thick but has spring loaded pliers. My edc outside of work is a benchmade 940 Osborne. Anodized aluminum scales with an Anodized titanium spine its very light weight and has the perfect shaped blade for me. Both knives i would recommend to anyone

Lothar

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Richland, WA
First Name
Ian
Last Name
Bloom
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Benchmade 940 is my favorite folder of all time. I'd share a picture but I lost it and need to order another one. I've owned a couple of Spydercos but I don't like them as much as my Benchmade.

For backpacking and hiking (things I would like to do in conjunction with overlanding) I find I don't need more than a Swiss Army classic. I use the scissors quite a bit. If I have food that I want to process, then I might bring my Opinel No 6.

I've owned a few leathermen over the years. I'm a firearms instructor at work and they were nice enough to give me a MUT, but it just lives in my range bag and I rarely touch it. I haven't found a multitool that I like better than the Leatherman Wave. Everything I need, nothing I don't, small and not cumbersome to carry.

ESEE Izula is great but more than I need. I have other tools for processing firewood and I'm not into bushcraft, so I have no desire to go with one of their larger knives, although they look sweet.

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

For my rig, its all SOG. I bought a made in China version first and then spent more money to buy a made in the USA. Thus far, no difference in material. If I had one thing to say it would be that the USA made one opens a slight smoother. Other than that, they are pretty similar. I have a Vision XR, a Jungle Primitive machete, two Tontos and their Wood and Bone Saw. Zero issues, great wear, easy sharpen thus far on the Tontos.

Reactions: Mekcanix

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

nobody likes Schrade? My last store bought {actually I ordered it} was a Schrade 42.. I really like the size and feel of it. Its a great woods knife and can baton wood nicely.. One of handle screws loosened a bit so I removed them all and added a dab of red loctite. But I do like it.. I also have many old "timey" hunting knives that I purchase at gun shows. I like the older ones because the blade steel is better {my opinion}..I still have never bought a Leatherman mainly because I can't seem to figure out which one would suit my "needs" more than the other..haha

T. Stanley

Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep Kansas
Launch Member

Member III

Clay Center, Kansas
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

nobody likes Schrade? My last store bought {actually I ordered it} was a Schrade 42.. I really like the size and feel of it. Its a great woods knife and can baton wood nicely.. One of handle screws loosened a bit so I removed them all and added a dab of red loctite. But I do like it.. I also have many old "timey" hunting knives that I purchase at gun shows. I like the older ones because the blade steel is better {my opinion}..I still have never bought a Leatherman mainly because I can't seem to figure out which one would suit my "needs" more than the other..haha
I have a Schrade (Buck 110 copy) that I use form time to time but it isn’t a favorite.

Masis Eric

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Western region
First Name
Masis
Last Name
Yarijanian
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6COL
I had several knives for last 35 years for these days manufactured knives
1 small Folding knives :
Kershaw,

2 medium knives
Gerber survival knife was amazing

3 large and medium
Buck knives from Walmart,
Not as good as old Buck but still made in America and good quality
If I had to buy one I’d go Buck

Masis Eric

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Western region
First Name
Masis
Last Name
Yarijanian
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6COL
I must add I carry leather man multi tool
At work and a different one on national Guard but those are more for multitasking and better than Swiss Victorinex . in overlanding I am not sure what is are your needs but I assume you need to make lunch and etc that’s why I recommend an actual knife . Assuming you have a small tool box for trail repairs.

Masis Eric

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Western region
First Name
Masis
Last Name
Yarijanian
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6COL
i carry a kershaw everyday and when I camp. They are light, I dont even notice it in my pocket and they have a very nice quick opening mechanism. They are pretty sharp, and last a long while. I tend to be clumsy and forgetful and have lost a few knives. The Kershaw knives are reaaonably priced so if I lose it (which I have done a few times), it doesn't break my wallet to replace it.

I also keep a gerber multi-tool in my truck, and I carry a leatherman skeletool on hikes.
I used to lose knives occasionally but I started taking the clips off and bending them a little more to add tension. When there is enough tension the pocket clip will make a positive “snick” as it slaps the scale when drawn. I started doing this over 15 years ago and haven’t lost one since. I carry a knife every day unless I’m flying commercial.

Traditionals are another matter. While I like the idea of them they usually fall out of my pocket if I sit on a couch or such so I don’t carry them often.
agree