What knife/utensil kits are you using?

• HTML tutorial

Mike Costa

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Fairfax, VA
Member #

What does everyone here use to store their knives, cooking utensils, and eating utensils? trying to make everything a little more organized and keep everything in one place at least for the knives and cooking utensils. we use Ka-bar chopsticks for the most part to eat along with their spork and knife set so those are easy for the most part!

JimInBC

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Southern Vancouver Island
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Freer
Member #

A tool roll, it has eyelets at the top that let me hang it and it folds and rolls to keep everything together. It is also washable. It is for knives and cooking utensils. Eating utensil go in their own bag. I have been playing with some patterns to sew up something that works better for both but have not gotten it all worked out yet.

beck4u

Rank V
Launch Member

Explorer I

Patterson, CA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Becker
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6JAG
I have a removable cutlery tray in my drawers. I just throw it all in there.

Front runner has a nice kit that stores in a roll. I like it but 3 prong forks give me the heebie jeebies!

Reactions: Hafaday

Hafaday

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Richmond, VA.
Member #

Front runner has a nice kit that stores in a roll. I like it but 3 prong forks give me the heebie jeebies!
Ha ha! I have this kit. bought it for $40 (new and complete) at an Overland flea market. That said, it has not been used yet. You are right.... the forks are funny looking.

Reactions: beck4u

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
I use a plastic tub similar to @Steve. Years ago I found a discount price on high quality re-usable plastic cutlery but people keep throwing it out on trips so I'm going to get a set of metal cutlery from Goodwill. If I was backpacking I would look into light weight options, but since it is going in the truck a few extra ounces makes no difference to me.

AZBubs

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Tan Valley, AZ
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7BHP

I have the Frontrunner roll. I had 2 people freak out over the forks and refused to use them, i don’t get it how 3 pronged forks make people’s minds melt[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

LVCoffeeguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

North Las Vegas, Nevada
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
Monson
Member #

We use a Deluth Trading Co Fire Hose Tool Roll. It’s great because of the leather bottom protects knife blades from cutting thru the bag, It also has top pockets that we put seasonings and other small things that you will loose without having a specific place for them.

upload_2018-6-20_23-37-18.jpeg

coffeeshark

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Bay Area, CA, USA
First Name
dawn
Last Name
mcclure
I just use a spoon and toss it in one of the side pouches on my ruck.

I dont bring knives anywhere--I'd rather cut everything beforehand. My knives are expensive though, so I might be weird.

LVCoffeeguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

North Las Vegas, Nevada
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
Monson
Member #

I just use a spoon and toss it in one of the side pouches on my ruck.

I dont bring knives anywhere--I'd rather cut everything beforehand. My knives are expensive though, so I might be weird.
Coffeeshark? Are you a industry coffee person?

Also, If you are looking for a pretty great knife to keep in your door pocket check these ones out. Super sharp and much nicer than you can usually get for the money. I think we paid 15-17 bucks.

Morakniv Companion Heavy Duty Knife with Sandvik Carbon Steel Blade, 0.125/4.1-Inch, Military Green

Reactions: SubeeBen

coffeeshark

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Bay Area, CA, USA
First Name
dawn
Last Name
mcclure
Oh yes, an old friend of mine swore by Mora knives. I've been meaning to get one. Come to think of it, I'm not sure if I still have the Victorinox I "acquired", which was okay.

Also I'm certainly industry, but not coffee industry. :p Sometimes I wish!

HIGH Maintenance

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler II

Honolulu, Hawaii
Member #

We use a Deluth Trading Co Fire Hose Tool Roll. It’s great because of the leather bottom protects knife blades from cutting thru the bag, It also has top pockets that we put seasonings and other small things that you will loose without having a specific place for them.

View attachment 59389
That’s some tool roll, the fire hose work pants are great also once broke in.

Reactions: LVCoffeeguy

Tim

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Oxford, UK
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lunn
Member #

We’ve been using one of these for a couple of years. Added a few bits over time like a butter knife and more recently a couple more chiefs knives.

Reactions: blackntan

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

Usually we all have extra house hold cooking utensils in our kitchen draws @ home. This goes for the same with pots & pans. IMO cooking utensils marked "overland" doesn't mean it's any better, liter, or space saving. Personally I feel their is "some" gear & equipment marked or made for overlanding that is beneficial & I use the word "beneficial". Then theirs some that aint & "I" feel this is a waste of money. Some do feel that any thing marked overland is a great asset to their gear & IMO that's quite OK IMO too. My wife & I use household cook wear & utensils with the exception of a GSI 8 cup coffee percolator, a 3 1\2 qt stock pot & 2 12oz. coffee cups, all blue enamel wear. I thought about the GSI 10" Pinnacle fry pan, but what I currently use is fine & does the job well. I store my cooking & eating utensils in a small plastic tote w\lid that's fits perfectly into my kitchen box. Space saving, everything is together & secure, that is what I wanted. It works for us & serves well.

I like this video

Last edited:
Reactions: Fozzy325