What knife/utensil kits are you using?

• HTML tutorial

LostInSocal

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chino Hills, CA, US
Member #

Another vote for a plastic box. If you know the Daiso stores, it's kind of a nicer discount store originating from Japan. Anyway, they have some pretty sturdy plastic boxes that range between $4 and $6. I picked up about a half dozen of them for utensils, paper towels, dry foods/snacks, etc. Definitely helps with the organization.

WutHoLeChit

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Mustang OK
Member #

Coffeeshark? Are you a industry coffee person?

Also, If you are looking for a pretty great knife to keep in your door pocket check these ones out. Super sharp and much nicer than you can usually get for the money. I think we paid 15-17 bucks.

Morakniv Companion Heavy Duty Knife with Sandvik Carbon Steel Blade, 0.125/4.1-Inch, Military Green

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
I second the Mora, I have one, and two more on the way. I absolutely adore it. Razor sharp, durable as hell, and cheap enough you’re not worried about it. Plan on keeping one in each vehicle and as a traveling field mechanic, I keep one with my gear I take to work. Fast food is terrible, expensive, and a lot of times, unavailable to me due to the remote areas I work. I’ve really taken to pulling away from everything (I work on equipment on wellsite; open flame=bad) and cooking on the tailgate. The Mora works as an all purpose knife for me, large enough for cooking/prep work, small enough to use as a steak knife. I use top of the line Wüstoff knives at home, and don’t feel like I am lacking much using the Mora away from home.

Aside from that, the utensils I always keep with me are a real set of silverware, I despise the feel and waste of plastic ware, a cheap pair of tongs, and a small restaurant supply store sourced metal spatula.

On that note, one great place to look for food prep and cooking supplies is at restaurant supply stores. Near me I have one such store that also sells bulk foods, which is great for cookouts. I’ve found that restaurant style pans, knives, cutting boards, and spatulas may be less attractive than those fancy box store bought knives, but are normally indestructible, more resistant to heat, easier to clean and sterilize, and typically have more desirable features that we would want on grills and fires. For example, heavier bottom frying pans, with more durable handles and a nonstick coating that doesn’t come off. I have one large frying pan that I purchased 6 years ago, has a metal handle, which means you can throw it over the fire or in the oven without worrying about it, and with all the hard use, and even metal forks and spatulas, the finish is still perfect, handle is still solid, and the pan is not warped or dented in any way.

For utensil storage, when doing the work thing, everything goes into a small plastic box with my basic seasonings and such. Overlanding I get a little fancier with the cooking and use a canvas tool roll and plastic box.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike Costa

Slow Poke

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Escondido
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Torrez
Member #

Using the Front Runner kit. It has settings for four along with some prep knives. We took out a few of the included utinsels and added a couple other cooking utinsels to the kit. Our Ota and pans go into a plastic water resistant ammo crate from Bass Pro Shop. I had to modify the handle on one of the pans to make it fit.

100RNR

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fredericksburg, VA, USA
First Name
E
Last Name
R
Member #

I have a few "tactical" sporks, use them when backpacking too. The knife is surprisingly sharp.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

darjo242

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Show Low, AZ
First Name
Darryl
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7HLL
Using a utensil that has a fork on one end on a spoon on the other. Picked them up for 3 bucks a pop at Sportsman's Warehouse. As for knives, just using cheap steak knives I picked up at Wally World for $0.98 a pop. They do what they need to and if they get lost/broken/abducted by aliens, all is good and am not out a small fortune.

RusD

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Choctaw, Oklahoma, USA
First Name
Rusty
Last Name
D
Member #

Wal-Mart has a nice set up for 2 people for like $6. Back in the camping section. The plates have thicker bottoms and the bowl-like edges which are nice when your food tries to slide or roll off into your lap. The collapsible "cups" are just okay, but they are graduated so I keep one or two in my kit for measuring cups. The fork, knife, and spoon are the thicker type plastic like GSI and others are using and have not broken through plenty of use. At $6 I bought a couple sets to feed my whole family and friends if needed. Also, I think I saw a metal version of the same setup at one point; I already had the plastic so didn't try them but it is an option.

Reactions: sabjku

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

Actually just relegated my gsi utensils to backpacking only. I added a set of real silverware to my kit. It’s the Oneida “Rosewood” pattern, the durable stainless steel, and the available bullion spoons, and oyster forks were what pushed me over the edge.

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

Actually just relegated my gsi utensils to backpacking only. I added a set of real silverware to my kit. It’s the Oneida “Rosewood” pattern, the durable stainless steel, and the available bullion spoons, and oyster forks were what pushed me over the edge.
There aren’t a lot of places I’ll splurge in weight on my gear. But cooking and eating with real utensils is completely worth the effort imho.

IMG_0650.JPGIMG_0654.JPG

ZRex

Rank VII
Launch Member

Explorer I

Elizabethton, TN
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Klepp
Member #

I have a few "tactical" sporks, use them when backpacking too. The knife is surprisingly sharp.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
I have two of these in our kitchen box, one in my toolbox at work, and have gifted one to a friend who also loves the outdoors. Best $8 ea I have ever spent!

Stickbow

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Georgia, USA
Member #

I seem to say this most of the time - depends on if I'm solo or with others.

Solo - my knife/knives that happen to be my favorite at that moment and a long handled TI spoon someone gave me for Christmas about 4 years ago and a long handled lexan spoon from somewhere - REI or Amazon or maybe even Wally World. A lot of times I sit around and carve spoons or spatulas or the occasional two-tined fork just for entertainment when by myself.

With anyone else along and my 'full' cook set, I have a two-slot silverware organizer that fits in a little tupperware/rubbermaid. It has four or five of knife/fork/spoon, probably a couple of bigger soup spoons. All are random pieces - one is actually silver vs. stainless. I have a commercial lexan handled chef's knife that just happens to fit in the valley between those two slots. It lives in a home-made HDPE sheath along with a couple of cheap "bait" knives that came with plastic sheaths. All of it can go in the dishwasher when I get home (but the knives don't - they get hand washed).

Reactions: Slow Poke

Tim

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Oxford, UK
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lunn
Member #

How is the quality of this set? Are the handles attached well? Is it flimsy?
Quality has been really good. Handles are well attached. Knives have stayed sharp. Only issue I’ve had was a silver disk drop out of one of the handles. They seem to be screwed together not riveted. I got this swapped out no problems.

Reactions: Bomber Bash