• exploring

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tim N Michele Davis

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Hartselle Al
Member #

What started this was as avid hikers we noticed there were 2 generals types of hikers, when asked about their hike they would reply either how far they went or what they had seen. As we have started exploring overlanding we have run up on two general types. Those that are there more for the wheeling and those that are more for the exploring. I mean if you could go on a Overland trip which would have no wheelin but lots of backroad exploring would you? What about the opposite a Overland trip with tons of wheelin but no exploring. I don't think either is wrong just curious what everyone thinks.

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

I mix it up as much as possible. I'm lucky enough to have a major OHV 45 minutes away, so I get to do more of that, but I love to explore and find new sights.

As I was growing up I was more into mud-bogging, so I guess my background leans more towards wheeling.

Daniel Etter

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fishers, IN
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Etter
Member #

If it's just me, then I prefer more wheeling. If it's the fiancé and dogs, then more exploring because the dogs don't like bouncing around the back of the rig and prefer to run around and enjoy nature.

Sent from my iPhone using Overland Bound Talk

TreyJK

Rank III

Advocate II

Tulsa, OK
I think a mixture of both is the best. Off-road parks get a little boring IMO, but just driving normal roads can get boring too. My ideal trip would be moderate wheeling with awesome sights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Murphy Slaw

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Southern Illinois
Member #

We pretty much just explore. I like to use my own internal compass and not use maps and devices when digging around. Makes it more of a challenge.

"Are we lost yet?"

Reactions: r_vdb

toxicity_27

US MidWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

I'm like most that have replied, I like to explore areas that not everyone can get to, if that means wheeling, I'm all for it.

RiverCityDave

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Austin, Texas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Hunter
Member #

Service Branch
Army
We are absolutely explorers. As such, we equip our vehicle for that activity. We really like seeing the trucks that are set up for hard core wheeling, but we live in Texas, where its 100,000 miles between points of interest, most of which usually has to be covered on the interstate. I consider my fuel mileage to be as important as my ground clearance. We LOVE the destinations, but with four kids in the rig, as well as the wife, we have to make the exploration a priority, or they'd just die of boredom.

t.hornstra

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor I

Sacramento
Member #

Definitely more exploring. I'm limited being a locked prerunner, I'm missing the crucial front diff for rock crawling. Mostly enjoy getting out with my wife and dogs. getting up into state or federal forests and finding fire roads and easy-medium trails. Wife gets motion sickness so can't get into too much when she's with me. I'm a big fan of all the trails near Hume Lake, though they are all torched after last year's fire..

RiverCityDave

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Austin, Texas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Hunter
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Even at times when flying might make more sense, we take road trips. We consider it "over landing" of a sort, even when we take the wife's Enclave. Were prepared to be vehicle dependent regardless. We like taking road trips as a family.

Reactions: Winterpeg

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

Even at times when flying might make more sense, we take road trips. We consider it "over landing" of a sort, even when we take the wife's Enclave. Were prepared to be vehicle dependent regardless. We like taking road trips as a family.
We feel the same way.

Roadtrips bring a family closer. We learn to talk to each other, be bored together, experience things together, play together, fight together, forgive together, move on, and be friends together.

You can't get that in an airplane in a couple hours with everyone plugged into their electronics and dealing with other people.

We recently went on a roadtrip to Whistler, BC. 4 days of driving each way..... 5000 km's roundtrip. It gives you the opportunity to learn to communicate with each other.

Huerta32

Rank I

Contributor III

I'm more of an explorer, I like checking out old mines and ghost towns

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

But I don't mind taking the road less traveled to get there

Last edited:

Mike G

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Jose, CA
Member #

Since I use to backpack a lot, I would have to say Exploring, but I love to go off road to find that great camping spot or fishing hole.

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

I live to explore, to roam, to stumble into the adventure, in whatever form it takes. Wondering what lays down that narrow dirt road runs in my blood I fear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk