• exploring

Results are only viewable after voting.

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

I'm a little confused, are these supposed to be mutually exclusive? I off-road as part of my exploration, often I will turn off on a smaller trail just to see where it ends up.

Reactions: Winterpeg

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

I'm a little confused, are these supposed to be mutually exclusive? I off-road as part of my exploration, often I will turn off on a smaller trail just to see where it ends up.
Agreed.

Perhaps the options could be...
1. Is there wheeling as part of your exploration typically?
2. Is there zero wheeling as part of your exploration typically?

Of course... everyone has a different opinion of what "wheeling" is. I learned that the hard way when I went to Moab and the FJ Summit in Colorado in 2012. I had to put my foot down and say "No" to someone when they said they would spot me and asked someone with more experience. I felt bad and I'm sure I hurt his feelings, but in Moab things got a bit hairy and the guy proved his inexperience a few times. Yeah, I had to be "that guy" unfortunately. :neutral:

First State Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Delaware
Member #

We feel the same way.

Roadtrips bring a family closer. We learn to talk to each other, be bored together, experience things together, play together, fight together, forgive together, move on, and be friends together.

You can't get that in an airplane in a couple hours with everyone plugged into their electronics and dealing with other people.

We recently went on a roadtrip to Whistler, BC. 4 days of driving each way..... 5000 km's roundtrip. It gives you the opportunity to learn to communicate with each other.

"Roadtrips bring a family closer. We learn to talk to each other, be bored together, experience things together, play together, fight together, forgive together, move on, and be friends together."

This. Right. Here.

RiverCityDave

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Austin, Texas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Hunter
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I try to take advantage of my rig and whatever time I can eek out. I have duty this weekend, but instead of staying in the barracks, or some crappy hotel, I booked a campsite by the lake. It's not the most scenic place ever, but there are worse, and it's a great respite from the chaos and cacophony of my job. It threatened to rain all night, never did, I wasn't hugely worried about it if it had other than raising the already dripping humidity more. It's still over landing [emoji3][emoji106].

I always pack a small tent, you never know when a chance to camp will pop up.

The bicycle is always in the truck as well.

No way do you get this sunrise in a hotel.

EDIT: I created an overnit trip thread for the other pics and the full story, they werent really in keeping with the spirit of this thread.

http://www.overlandbound.com/forums/index.php?threads/quick-48-hours-at-the-lake.1713/

Sent from my iPhone using Overland Bound Talk

Last edited:

Cpl J

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Madras Oregon
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
ke7cqw
"Good roads bring bad people, while bad roads bring good people."

I like to explore the areas that most people can't get to. That sometimes means a bit of wheeling, or a lot of wheeling :sunglasses:
I am the same way. also i like to get away from people and where there is water there are people.

Reactions: RiverCityDave

MidwestOverlanders

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Indianapolis, IN
Member #

I def agree that off roading is part of overlanding. I do know that a lot of people in a couple of the Facebook Overlanding groups im in believe that "Overlanding" is another term for going to the local ORP and wheeling. Theres a lot of people that think if you dont have kitted out rock crawler then you aren't overlanding. Maybe that's where the OP was going with this question?

Reactions: RiverCityDave