max.grun

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Turlock, California
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSE
Like a lot of others, money is a part of it. I'm new to overlanding and do not have much gear beyond some basic camp gear. My Outback is almost completely stock and I do not have the extra money available to use for making modifications. Time and budget will solve this though.

The big issue for me, is a lack of experience and knowledge. I am not sure what the Outback is capable of since I have yet to test it out. On that same note, I am not sure what I am capable of yet, since I have never been tested personally in an "off the beaten path" scenario. Other than some of the fishing areas I go to, I really don't know any areas to get in the dirt and mud with my vehicle and not cause problems or get in trouble. I guess eventually I will figure it out.

I hope to meet up with some others on weekends for a day trip here and there until i have the experience and knowledge to more confident to go it alone.

Traveler I

Like a lot of others, money is a part of it. I'm new to overlanding and do not have much gear beyond some basic camp gear. My Outback is almost completely stock and I do not have the extra money available to use for making modifications. Time and budget will solve this though.

The big issue for me, is a lack of experience and knowledge. I am not sure what the Outback is capable of since I have yet to test it out. On that same note, I am not sure what I am capable of yet, since I have never been tested personally in an "off the beaten path" scenario. Other than some of the fishing areas I go to, I really don't know any areas to get in the dirt and mud with my vehicle and not cause problems or get in trouble. I guess eventually I will figure it out.

I hope to meet up with some others on weekends for a day trip here and there until i have the experience and knowledge to more confident to go it alone.
Probably a good option is looking for organized groups that offer offroading tours, you have to pay, but can test your vehicle and yourself in a safe maner

Sent from my SM-G610M using OB Talk mobile app

max.grun

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Turlock, California
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSE
Probably a good option is looking for organized groups that offer offroading tours, you have to pay, but can test your vehicle and yourself in a safe maner

Sent from my SM-G610M using OB Talk mobile app
Thank you for the advice. I didn't know that you could that. I'll be looking into it for sure.

Reactions: Guillermo Palacios

w_m_photo

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Gahanna, OH
First Name
Walt
Last Name
Middleton
Member #

Time... During the NCAA school year I do not have much time...

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
For me, its work. My work schedule can be somewhat unpredictable. It makes it tough to plan.

BobA

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Cadiz,Ky
Member #

Being an over the road truck driver it's the lack of time. Only being home 5 days a month is very limiting. The ratrod also takes up a lot of time.

Attachments

Last edited:

Madbodhi

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Mayville WI
Member #

Lots of demands on my time. 130 yr old house that we're renovating, car hobby (2 Dodge Powerwagons and a 67 Chrysler convertible), a serious firearms addiction that includes attending matches and training classes, and 2 pre-teens. Luckily, my work has a factory wide maintenance shutdown for a week twice a year. I save my vacation and piggyback on those shutdowns to take a 2-3 week trips twice a year. Along with short weekenders acouple of times over the rest of the year it's enough to keep me sane and the family really enjoys it without getting burnt out.

Willmh3

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Tennessee Colony, Texas
Member #

Guilt plays a big part in it for me. Working 16-18 hour days doesn’t leave much time for the wife and kids so when I do get a day off, I feel selfish doing things for me that may take time away from them. No one else in the family cares about getting out and going on an adventure into the wild (no cellphone reception, Starbucks, tv, apparently I can’t expect them to live like that...even for the day) so I live vicariously through the other members of this forum.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Sequoiahiker

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Visalia, CA
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Patton
Member #

Service Branch
U. S. Army
I'm part of the time and money reason. I work 12-14 hour days and when I get home I try to work out and spend time with the family. I've got two super busy teenage boys so when they have activities I go and watch. Then there is the money part as far as doing modifications to my Xterra. When you start doing suspension ,fits, tires etc, it gets expensive. And I am not one for half assing things. I want to do tires, wheels and suspension at the same time. Plus I have to divide my time and money on my other hobbies.....backpacking.

Reactions: Darren01

britz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Musselshell, Idaho
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YTI
Mother Nature keeps me home or limits to shorter trips from November to April. We live a few miles past where the plows stop (which is hit and miss, at best), so there's a good chance we'd be blocked from getting back to the cabin without the help of heavy equipment. During this period, we usually stick to 1-2 nighters, or leave the rigs parked and snowshoe, ski, or snow mobile around the National Forest for camp.

Last edited:

Rubyredfozzy

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Fort Mitchell, AL, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Welch
Member #

I am in the Army still for a few more years and have a 3 month old now. But i try to go out and at least get the rig dirty once in a while. My trips have to be planned out pretty far in advance or it wont happen.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using OB Talk mobile app

Darren01

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Hope Mills, North Carolina
Member #

Time and geographic location. Eastern NC doesn’t offer much of anything in terms of overlanding and outdoor activities. To get to any type of terrain that is enjoyable it’s about 4-5 hrs drive one way. I’m in the military so I don’t have a lot of free time and when I do I spend it with my wife and kids. My kids being 3 and 1 get really tired of sitting in their car seats for extended periods of time so it makes it difficult for any long distance trips.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Work! I have failed retirement three times and I need to make more time for trips.

Mr E

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

U.K.
Me!!
I seem to always put things in front of actually getting out - work - family - friends, but i'm sat there pee'd off with myself that i've STILL not recce'd the route we made!
It'll only be a 2 day trip max, and it's not like the Land Rover isn't ready for getting out.......

One day

pnwexplorer

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Olympia, WA
First Name
Hannah
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Time and money. I'm a little hesitant to go on certain trips. I still need to get some good recovery gear to make me feel more comfortable going out alone.