Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
I don't get out near enough. I live close to some awesome trails but life gets in the way. For me, it is either time or money. I have my rig and trailer built but when you are working 60 hours a week, days off are few and far between. Health and their expenses have cut my budget. Just when you think you are getting ahead, something always happens.

In the last few years I have had several surgeries, a move to a new home, a daughter getting married, and having to work an 18 month contract in Minnesota.

What keeps you from getting out?

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
If your answer is time, what is more important that is taking up your time?

Reactions: T-88

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

If your answer is time, what is more important that is taking up your time?
For me it’s mostly a job, 3 teenagers going in different directions, volunteer work, and household chores which reminds me, the lawn hasn’t been mowed in weeks... I can’t complain though, I probably get out more than most because of a wife that knows that I need too which is why the lawn has been very neglected.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

I don't get out near enough. I live close to some awesome trails but life gets in the way. For me, it is either time or money. I have my rig and trailer built but when you are working 60 hours a week, days off are few and far between. Health and their expenses have cut my budget. Just when you think you are getting ahead, something always happens.

In the last few years I have had several surgeries, a move to a new home, a daughter getting married, and having to work an 18 month contract in Minnesota.

What keeps you from getting out?
J O B!!!...inconsistant crappy schedule

shwane

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Youngsville, La
Member #

Lack of a completed rig first. Then the wife's love of all things beach.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Andy G

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Cannonsburg, MI
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Grow
Member #

Right now the biggest thing holding me back...is not having a rig! Since I moved from Alaska I sold my 4Runner (still regret it to this very moment), and now sport a "sweet" minivan and a Camry. Yeah.

Oh sure I've taken the boys camping, fishing, etc...but nothing that I would consider "Overlanding" without getting into further discussion about that!

I'm shopping right now...so all you Michigan peeps...keep an eye out for me!

Reactions: Raul B

Lead K9

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Franklin Park, Illinois
First Name
Lead
Last Name
Dog
Member #

Time is my biggest issue. As mentioned above, it is tough to schedule a weekend between the family activities and work, which has been untraditionally busy on the weekends.

Another issue I am facing is my children are becoming less interested as they get older. Any activity with their friends seems to overrule time in the woods.

My Jeeping partners are falling into the same bucket as the kids. One has started his own business, another is addicted to his motorcycle, another pair are getting married. When did life get in the way of woods time? :)

I'm going to have to try a solo run with the dog just to get a fix!

Quicksilver

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Molalla, OR
Member #

Time and money. Wife has a new job, and our schedules are no longer perfectly aligned like they were. Her schedule is different every week, and isn't released until Thursday, so we never know until then what the weekend is looking like. I suspect I may end up going on some shorter day or overnight trips by myself.

Joey83

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Joachim
Last Name
Sandven
Member #

Lack of money and constant back pain (was in a car accident 10 years ago and wrecked my other car at 50 mph 8 years ago).

Last edited:

tobyjefe

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Tobin
Member #

Money for me but I am working on that for next year. Starting from scratch and limited experience is another. I thankfully was able to attend the OB East roundup in October. I have learned a lot on this site and the great people associated with it. I have been researching exactly what I want. I can't buy new. I am having my left knee replaced this month so I will be chomping at the bit next spring to get the ball rolling towards weekend trips.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I get out when I get free time. Free time isn't abundant anymore though. I've made a couple trips this year. One alone, one with the family, and one with the OB crew around here. It is what it is. Hoping to get a few more in next year though. October is my favorite month to be outdoors and this year we had a big outage at work that took up a lot of my time.

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

Lack of money and the fact that if I use my days off I almost get punished by growing and evolving piles of work and people complaining about why it didn't magically get done while I was away.

That said, while I don't do many of the long "overland" trips anymore, the short camping/fishing/hunting trips almost every weekend have shown me things I never noticed when those areas were the first or last leg of highway on long trips. Texas doesn't have much public land but it does have an insane amount of historical markers and crumbling back roads through little towns, each with some defining feature.

Reactions: TerryD

Jimmy P

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Duncan, OK, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5JLP
Same'ol story, money, time, life. My daughter is graduating this year and there's tons going on with that, not to mention the redirection of the overland rig specifically for that. A son who is in sports and demands a good bit of time and money as well :smile:. It's one of those things I wouldn't trade, and will likely miss when the funds and times become available again. Such is life, right?

Reactions: 4wheelspulling

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Lack of money. I'm on a fixed income, and after I pay my bills, not much is left over to use for my hobbies. The only way I had money to build up my Jeep Cherokee, was I sold other projects to fund the Jeep build. I built it up knowing there was a good chance that this was the last time I would have the money it took for my build. I am just glad that I did have the other projects to cash in and use. Benz.

Reactions: old_man and TerryD

chuckoverland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Spokane, WA
Member #

Workin all the time. Savin my vacation days for nw overland rally next year. That and someone stole our truck and stripped off the RTT and a bunch of other shit. So this winter we have to gear back up.