stephanie
Last Name
Curlee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM4CNY
Service Branch
Army
Getting my rig trail ready and work. That and I'm new to overlanding. I usually go for a 2 week trip every year in my pop up. It's too big for overlanding. I might get a camping trip in this year. I've directed money towards the rig this year.

Reactions: TerryD

Raul B

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kyle, Hays County, Texas, United States
First Name
Raul
Last Name
Banuelos
Member #

for me its mostly time and family... I'm lucky enough that I pretty much have weekends off and make decent money... but... I have 5 kids ( 2, 5, 11, 16, 17) with the two youngest having special needs. On top of that 2 years ago I bought a fixer upper and guess what... I'm still fixing crap. I have our master bath to finish, backyard concrete to pour and fence to complete out front.

I long to go out. every time I seem to make plans to get out at least for a night something comes up with the family and I have to cancel. I'm hoping next year will be different.....

F4T XJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

London, United Kingdom
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Savage
Member #

Right now the fact that my little XJ is a write off, I have just 16 weeks before my next trip to get a new vehicle and transfer all the work from my previous build into a new vehicle.

Ventsan

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lumberton, NJ
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2OZA
Living in NJ for one, I can only overland to the mall here. It won't stop me for long though, planning a 2 week trip out west for the spring!

Sent from my Pixel XL using OB Talk mobile app

mark_themachinst_guy

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Long Island, New York
Member #

Living on Long Island, its a bubble that sucks you in and doesn't let you go. It's a hassle just getting off the island! But like everyone else has said, time, and money. I've had so many rig parts in my various online shopping carts for the past 6 months, from lift kits, to bumpers and tires. But I just don't have the money to spend on that stuff right now. On top of that, I work full time and go to school at night crawling towards my Manufacturing degree day by day. It leaves little time for anything else, and when I do have the extra time its usually spend managing my side business, or spent with the girlfriend.

I feel like I need to make a change somewhere though, because I know I'm going to regret not doing more when I'm older. Once I finish my school and get my degree I'm sure I'll have more time for the Overland life.

Reactions: TerryD and Ventsan

theBROFESSOR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Conway, Arkansas
Member #

I have the greatest job ever. have tons of time off from work and tons of places to go near here. I just have too many hobbies. My wife and I both ride Harleys and are pretty much involved in that when the days are beautiful. Avid Bowler in league three nights a week and many tournaments throughout the year. But I love doing this in the winter time. Don't really like camping outside when its hot and your fighting off bugs left and right. So when the weather cools down and the leaves start changing color, the Harleys get put on the trickle charger and the FJ comes out to explore where the pavement ends. In AR the winters are short and I will be juggling priorities this next year. Want to get out there a little more and see what I've never seen before. Life is short and we must enjoy it while we can. I tell my kids all the time. Do what you want to do in life. I have had jobs where I made a ton of money and I've had jobs where I get a ton of time off. Time is worth so much more than money ever will be. Life lessons from the BROfessor. Ride safe Bro's.

Justinwrites

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate I

Olympia, WA
Member #

Babies eat up the day. And trying to buy a house eats up the money right now. My truck is in need of time and money right now. :)

Ventsan

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lumberton, NJ
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2OZA
JOB and close weekend locations to go. I struggle to find new areas to explore and places to camp without hitting up a campground.
I have the same problem. In New Jersey it is illegal to camp outside of a designated campground, but "some people I know" camp dispersed anyways. following LNT, I don't see any harm.

Sent from my Pixel XL using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Pick Teej

Hiluxoverland

Rank III

Advocate II

Money/Time. It seems as if I have the disposable income to hit the trails or go wheel I don’t have the time. Or if I have the time I can afford to break. One day... one day neither will be a problem. Until then...

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: old_man

Wanderlost

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Caledonia, Illinois
Member #

We’ve worked long and hard to get and keep careers that allow us an above average time off to pursue our passion. There’s always a want for more though. :)
If you want it bad enough, you'll find a way.

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
Money/Time. It seems as if I have the disposable income to hit the trails or go wheel I don’t have the time. Or if I have the time I can afford to break. One day... one day neither will be a problem. Until then...
I understand the issue. When I am working 60+ hours a week, I plan and shop for parts for my projects and put them on the shelf. Then when things get slow and money is tight, I have the parts to use to build. I play a game to try and get everything absolutely as cheap as possible or design it the best possible. It took me almost 4 years to finish my teardrop. I probably put $7000 into the build. The only way I could do it was doing this.
Now I am putting back $$$ and planning trips for when I retire in a couple of years.

professorkx

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

I'm 58, coming to the end of my career, and I am at the top of my field, so time is my only problem. We always plan a week trip in Moab over Thanksgiving, and next year, I am adding a week on the Rubicon, but will have to add a sat phone to my jeep equipment so I can be reached.

Hell, in my 20's we didn't have any money and we spent more time in the woods and desert than we do now. That will change as soon as the company sells, then I'm going to one difficult guy to find. Toss the cell phone, dump the computer and live the rest of my life doing whatever I want, as far away from everyone as I can get. When I'm die, they can find my body in the middle of nowhere...or what's left after the animals have finished with me.

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

I had a question ask when I said I didn't want to work and he asked what don't you like money? I really didn't answer him. But two years ago I was doing 35% more work and when Colorado became the place to move to so many customers had thier chance to sell thier homes and do what they wanted. I decided to not try to replace them as I wanted more time for myself and my wife. I have been able to take vacations and go up to trails more than ever. I have not been able to do a mutible day overlanding trip yet but am planning one next August. Yes money is tight but it has been pretty nice to be able to take time for what is important! The goal is to work less and play more.

Reactions: old_man