Launch Member

Enthusiast III

LaPlace, LA, USA
First Name
Edward
Last Name
Wingard
Member #

My Tundra is "Dooky" (a nod to Edger "Dooky" Chase) and the wife's 4Runner is the Creole Queen (a nod to Dooky's wife Leah Chase). These are just a couple of great people from the Big easy (may God rest their souls) whom I had a tremendous amount of respect for. [sarcasm ]I'm not sure if it's noticeable when folks look at me... but I really like to eat[/sarcasm] and these folks were legendary for their creole cuisine at Dooky Chase's. Beyond that their influence in art and the civil rights movement and the fact that they were just two of the most genuine folks you'd ever want to meet made them giants in the Big Easy.

A little story if you will; mere days after New Orleans was reopened for folks to return following the flooding of Hurricane Katrina I was at lunch in one of only a handful of restaurants open at that time. Most weren't open because their staff had still not made it back home (some never did return) but this one was working with a skeleton crew and doing the best they could with mostly inexperienced wait staff.

Just as my order was being brought to my table Dooky and Leah Chase walked in. They were seated at a table next to me and immediately asked to see the owner. The poor girl who seated them looked upset and went to get the owner. The owner poked his head out of the kitchen with a concerned look on his face. When he saw Dooky and Leah a huge smile came to his face and he practically ran out to greet them with a hug. He explained that when the girl came to get him she was upset because she had thought she had done something wrong. He said that this girl was one of the mostly new staff who was inexperienced and because she didn't recognize them she thought they wanted him to complain about something.

Of course I couldn't help but overhear this conversation. When he said the girl didn't recognize them I kind of choked on my soup and giggled. They all looked at me wondering what was so funny. I apologized for eavesdropping and then I told them that; "I'm a Yankee not even from here and I know who you two are." Then, as I rubbed by Buddha like belly I said; "then again... I like to eat."

Lord, all three of them about rolled on floor laughing. It was so good to hear laughter again after so much heartache.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
That has got to be the coolest custom center console I have seen.

More details please.

Do those boxes lift out? It looks like the latches would be challenging to open in their current position. And if they lift out, how are they restrained while in their places?
Thanks! I don’t care for standard consoles due to wasted space. That plus the fact this was delivered without a console made a need for something.

They’re 50 caliber cans. I used the base plate for a radio console to give a flat plane, then bolted them in place. The latches can be worked, but is easier on the three to the rear for the latch to just hang in place.

Not obvious is the front can has one side cut out for heat of the radio which is 95% hidden.

Reactions: Shamu

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

That's an awesome console. I did something similar with mine by using a 20mm mortar can bolted down in place of the fold down table the CR-V comes with.IMG_20181222_235300741.jpg

I've never seen anyone make a console by using the cans sideways, though - very clever.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
That's an awesome console. I did something similar with mine by using a 20mm mortar can bolted down in place of the fold down table the CR-V comes with.View attachment 116676

I've never seen anyone make a console by using the cans sideways, though - very clever.
I placed them sideways to get many more in place, and maximize volume.

Reactions: CR-Venturer

Ironhide

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Camano Island, WA
First Name
Lenny
Last Name
Motta
Member #

My Grandmother had 2 1946 plymouths which my sister and I named Mr. and Mrs. Nellibell after Roy Roger's sidekick's jeep.

Reactions: Captstout

Captstout

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Utah, USA
First Name
Dallas
Last Name
Ray
Member #

My has been given the name Bigred 1.
Picked by my Nephew who's Military after the 1st Army division Bigred1
Go Army #USA #SUPPORTOURMILITARY
That is awesome!!

I was Navy. 2 of my dearest friends served with the 1st Infantry Division (Big Red 1).

Good looking rig. Excellent name.

Reactions: Scrambler84