Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
I would appreciate a list of all the places my fellow OB'ers have encountered all this crap in this thread, so that I wont go there. Sounds more like your going to a zoo than an overlanding adventure. I would rather not be a part of anything you people are describing in this thread. If this is an example of the kind of crap that goes on while out for a day, night, week or month of Overlanding I don't want anything to do with it. I always knew I was hermit like, and this thread gives me good cause to continue my anti social attitude towards people when they act like animals or heathens. I told someone earlier when this thread was about to take off I didn't want to hear anyone's pet peeves and this thread has proved out my dislike for it.

I cant see where any of this conversation will solve any of our pet peeves. The posts are similar to listening to the gun lobby arguments that want more laws when the laws we have doesn't stop the killings and never have, the saber rattles on. This thread puts a very bad light on all OB members, even though we don't know if all these crappy happenings are being done by OB members or other shit heads out there destroying the good environment we seek. It sounds like the bad environment that we are trying to get away from in the cities. Ob has been a staff for like minded people but this thread makes it sound like we are all a bunch or slobs.
Lanlubber

Can't. [We don't share GPS tracks and coordinates.]

• Haha
Reactions: bmwguru and Ghost

Ghost

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

North Bonneville, WA, USA
First Name
Trever
Last Name
M
Member #

Can't. [We don't share GPS tracks and coordinates.]
So in all seriousness that is a thing right? I’ve searched and unless I’m looking in the wrong place it’s slim pickings right? Anything that’s still kinda unknown or not popular stays that way. Like good fishing holes or hunting spots. I’ll admit I get why being that many of the spots I fish & hunt are now overrun. I was assuming many of the trails are that way?

CG Sahara

Rank 0

Contributor I

Dickson, TN
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Grimes
Drones. Recently near Moab a neighboring camp was flying two drones from 5pm to 9pm... buzzing back and forth. Then at 6:30am, as I am enjoying a peaceful morning, there they are again buzzing around over the entire campground. It felt extremely invasive and inconsiderate.
As a drone operator I agree 100%. If in a National Park or most state park they are breaking FAA regulations and should be reported to the state park or national Park service. Get a tag number from their vehicle and turn them in. It's operators like that that make it difficult for commercial operators. They are destroying the industry by breaking use laws and creating more regulation. That being said, if an operator asks permission then let them with limits. The biggest falsehood is capabilities. Most small consumer drones have a wide angle lens and don't have zoom capabilities. It's not until you get in $1k + range that capability increases.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
For some people, the act of venting is cathartic.
That's a very valid point. I know in the Navy there was a saying on the subs that "a bitching sailor is a happy sailor". We had a VERY happy crew!
Its equally important to note that when women (vent) bitch and complain, it is generally slanderous gossip. When men bitch and complain, it is merely us exchanging information. :grinning:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Craig M and Ghost

Ghost

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

North Bonneville, WA, USA
First Name
Trever
Last Name
M
Member #

That's a very valid point. I know in the Navy there was a saying on the subs that "a bitching sailor is a happy sailor". We had a VERY happy crew!
Its equally important to note that when women (vent) bitch and complain, it is generally slanderous gossip. When men bitch and complain, it is merely us exchanging information.
When I was a construction Forman the saying use to be “if you got time to bitch, you must not have enough to do”

Well maybe that was just my saying but anyhooo...

Last edited:

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

Trash and loud music. We were in Arkansas a couple months ago and found a remote state park camp area with about a dozen sites, remote and right on the Mulberry river. Some guy rolls up with a buddy and two trashy skanks and they start blaring rap music so loud it was echoing off the trees. That was pretty aggravating. I guess lack of respect and courtesy is a big pet peeve. Unfortunately the law protects that kind of behavior, I know asking them nicely to turn it down would have started a mess and I would be considered the "aggressor" since I would be the one to approach.
I guess having to "suck it up" when others act an ass is my real pet peeve.
This post begs the question(s) :
"What is the best overlanding light anti-tank weapon"

And

"How do you carry your quick-lime"

Brewbud

Rank V

Member III

SoCal
Member #

1) Trash... Especially broken glass!

2) Parks or campgrounds that don't allow hammocks. A properly hung hammock will not damage trees. I typically try to avoid campgrounds but sometimes it can't be avoided.

3) People driving off-trail in areas that don't allow it.

4) Burning pallets. Probably more of a beach or desert thing. They leave a lot of nails behind.

MtnManAlex

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

As a drone operator I agree 100%. If in a National Park or most state park they are breaking FAA regulations and should be reported to the state park or national Park service. Get a tag number from their vehicle and turn them in. It's operators like that that make it difficult for commercial operators. They are destroying the industry by breaking use laws and creating more regulation. That being said, if an operator asks permission then let them with limits. The biggest falsehood is capabilities. Most small consumer drones have a wide angle lens and don't have zoom capabilities. It's not until you get in $1k + range that capability increases.
It was a crowded campground on BLM land adjacent to the National Park. They probably weren’t breaking any laws, they were just being inconsiderate buzzing around a crowded campground for hours.

Maybe they aren’t taking high def pictures of my goings on (and it’s not like anything unscrupulous is happening at my campground), but simply the feeling of being under surveillance is enough to be irritating. This is accentuated by them flying over me 45 times as opposed to just once or twice.

I would like to try a drone sometime and I don’t think they should be banned or anything. People can be rude buzzing around on dirt bikes or walking through my campground eyeballing my stuff. Drones aren’t inherently rude, but there should be some etiquette using them.

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Blinding truck lights, hate those. And worse, newbs driving around on the street with led bars on. Then again, I love they way they sound when an axe goes through them.

Generators. Really, you need a gen for piddly lights? Save the gens for nights that require AC.

Loud music at night. Ya'll could have partied at home.

Anyone that moves my solar panel, table or anything, for any reason at all.

People that ''reserve'' spots for their buddies that will never show up anyways. I make a note that everyone in the campground may help themselves to my cooler, except those people.

Self centered morons at a boat ramp. Oh great, boaters want to boondock as well. Yay.

Curse of the externally mounted BRAND NEW, scratch free, shovel. Hardcore bad luck.

Curse of the perfectly new externally mounted Maxtax.

Curse of the new highlift jack....

Curse of the empty Rotopax....

Curse of.....well you get the idea.
You should watch more comedy movies! Lol

Buckaroo

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Bramley, Rotherham, South Yorkshire Forest, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
CB Handle: Buckaroo, UK FM Ch.30
Being around other people is pretty annoying :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy: I tend to be pretty anti social when out camping or wheeling unless it's with a select group of friends/family. I mainly go do that stuff to get away from everything/one
ditto what he said ^^

...and fuckers that burn the grass with their fires.
dig a firepit FFS!

Reactions: Downs and grubworm