First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
People building multiple fire pits in a single back-country campsite
Some places ive gone, I start up a game I call count the fire rings. Some of these are in places I would never camp. Sometimes there's several in a small area. Now most of these are old enough to not have wood or ash in them anymore and some look like someone grabbed a dozen fist sized rocks, made a circle and burned a small amount of wood for a few min's and left. About every combonation you could imagine. For those of you familiar with my area, Panamint Valley has the most so far.

I guess its also possible that rocks are sentient beings, migrate toward each other and form a circle for some reason beyond my comprehension.

MrCoffee

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Springfield, Vermont
First Name
Chuck
Last Name
U
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB1PMW
Load groups. Camping or Overlanding, large loud groups tend to set me right on edge. Given that I work daily with people that suffer from various forms of mental illness, and most have a violent streak, I tend to look for quiet during my off time. This ast summer my wife and I camped at public camper grounds a lot and found manners have all but disappeared in a lot of places. One of the reasons we are looking to do more Overland/Off-grid camping/Boondocking.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I love the sincere descriptions.
Kudos to those whp tell it like it is.
Great comments

loud groups tend to set me right on edge
Return fire!
the mess i've seen actually defies the laws of physics
The willfull dirtbag will most likely only get worse and more brazen
Being around other people is pretty annoying
loud yappy ankle biter dogs
don’t want to hear your loud spoiled rotten kid screaming or throwing a tantrum

• Haha
Reactions: Craig M

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I would appreciate a list of all the places my fellow OB'ers have encountered all this crap in this thread, so that I wont go there. Sounds more like your going to a zoo than an overlanding adventure. I would rather not be a part of anything you people are describing in this thread. If this is an example of the kind of crap that goes on while out for a day, night, week or month of Overlanding I don't want anything to do with it. I always knew I was hermit like, and this thread gives me good cause to continue my anti social attitude towards people when they act like animals or heathens. I told someone earlier when this thread was about to take off I didn't want to hear anyone's pet peeves and this thread has proved out my dislike for it.

I cant see where any of this conversation will solve any of our pet peeves. The posts are similar to listening to the gun lobby arguments that want more laws when the laws we have doesn't stop the killings and never have, the saber rattles on. This thread puts a very bad light on all OB members, even though we don't know if all these crappy happenings are being done by OB members or other shit heads out there destroying the good environment we seek. It sounds like the bad environment that we are trying to get away from in the cities. Ob has been a staff for like minded people but this thread makes it sound like we are all a bunch or slobs.
Lanlubber

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Ob has been a staff for like minded people but this thread makes it sound like we are all a bunch or slobs.
Lanlubber
I fail to see how this thread makes anyone here look like a slob. Maybe I missed something? Did you mean snobs?

Many times you don't always get your choice of campsite. I tend to stay out of designated campgrounds because of the crowds but try to find stuff like that here in Texas and you'll wind up sleeping in your vehicle at a rest stop. That leaves designated pay to play campgrounds that can attract a rowdy crowd sometimes. To me this was just a thread for people to vent.

Traveling and camping isn't a social activity for me. If that makes me a snob so be it but there's a very small group of people I want to be around when I "get away from it all" and the general public tends not to be them.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I fail to see how this thread makes anyone here look like a slob. Maybe I missed something? Did you mean snobs?

Many times you don't always get your choice of campsite. I tend to stay out of designated campgrounds because of the crowds but try to find stuff like that here in Texas and you'll wind up sleeping in your vehicle at a rest stop. That leaves designated pay to play campgrounds that can attract a rowdy crowd sometimes. To me this was just a thread for people to vent.

Traveling and camping isn't a social activity for me. If that makes me a snob so be it but there's a very small group of people I want to be around when I "get away from it all" and the general public tends not to be them.
YES, I meant slobs. The people who do these things are slobs or worse. Because we complain about it openly in a thread on our forum, can give newbies the idea that we are talking about our own OB group. You nailed it when you defined the slob group as the general public. I don't use camping as a social activity either, and if I'm lucky enough to find a friend on the trail or arrange a trip with someone, then yes it becomes a social event to a degree. I prefer to keep our forums open for a more positive subject and provide meaningful information for the masses who read them. I don't consider pet peeves of others as being my issues, it's like people talking on their phones in public with their speaker turned up. I don't want to hear it.

We have 20,000 members now and surely we can talk about something more important than someone pooping in our walking paths.
We all know it happens, we all know we can't do anything about it. It's a free country and if we don't like something it is up to us to avoid the bad environment, or change it (not likely) , not gripe about it in a forum for members.
This is just my opinion and I own it.

Ghost

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

North Bonneville, WA, USA
First Name
Trever
Last Name
M
Member #

I would appreciate a list of all the places my fellow OB'ers have encountered all this crap in this thread, so that I wont go there. Sounds more like your going to a zoo than an overlanding adventure. I would rather not be a part of anything you people are describing in this thread. If this is an example of the kind of crap that goes on while out for a day, night, week or month of Overlanding I don't want anything to do with it. I always knew I was hermit like, and this thread gives me good cause to continue my anti social attitude towards people when they act like animals or heathens. I told someone earlier when this thread was about to take off I didn't want to hear anyone's pet peeves and this thread has proved out my dislike for it.

I cant see where any of this conversation will solve any of our pet peeves. The posts are similar to listening to the gun lobby arguments that want more laws when the laws we have doesn't stop the killings and never have, the saber rattles on. This thread puts a very bad light on all OB members, even though we don't know if all these crappy happenings are being done by OB members or other shit heads out there destroying the good environment we seek. It sounds like the bad environment that we are trying to get away from in the cities. Ob has been a staff for like minded people but this thread makes it sound like we are all a bunch or slobs.
Lanlubber
Bahahaha Being that it has you spun up and I personally could care less if the Thread remains I’ll “Report” it myself and let the mods deal with it.

Reactions: bmwguru and Downs

Ghost

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

First Name
Trever
Last Name
M
Member #

Sorry, ghost I can read what you sent, it too blurry. Can you send again ?
Moderators. The moderators (short singular form: "mod") are users (or employees) of the forum who are granted access to the posts and threads of all members for the purpose of moderating discussion (similar to arbitration) and also keeping the forumclean (neutralizing spam and spambots etc.).

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Load groups. Camping or Overlanding, large loud groups tend to set me right on edge. Given that I work daily with people that suffer from various forms of mental illness, and most have a violent streak, I tend to look for quiet during my off time. This ast summer my wife and I camped at public camper grounds a lot and found manners have all but disappeared in a lot of places. One of the reasons we are looking to do more Overland/Off-grid camping/Boondocking.
I feel the same. I'd look elsewhere for the kind of peace I'm looking for in the first place. I don't need any of this BS in my camp site.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Moderators. The moderators (short singular form: "mod") are users (or employees) of the forum who are granted access to the posts and threads of all members for the purpose of moderating discussion (similar to arbitration) and also keeping the forumclean (neutralizing spam and spambots etc.).
Okay, that's fine with me. I'm not saying anyone has broken the rules. All I'm saying is the conversation sounds to me as if our OB people are complaining about our own OB members doing these things. I know that's not the case but a newbie listening in dosent know who we are complaining about. I just don't think talking about people (the shit heads) we don't even know solves anything.

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

YES, I meant slobs. The people who do these things are slobs or worse. Because we complain about it openly in a thread on our forum, can give newbies the idea that we are talking about our own OB group. You nailed it when you defined the slob group as the general public. I don't use camping as a social activity either, and if I'm lucky enough to find a friend on the trail or arrange a trip with someone, then yes it becomes a social event to a degree. I prefer to keep our forums open for a more positive subject and provide meaningful information for the masses who read them. I don't consider pet peeves of others as being my issues, it's like people talking on their phones in public with their speaker turned up. I don't want to hear it.

We have 20,000 members now and surely we can talk about something more important than someone pooping in our walking paths.
We all know it happens, we all know we can't do anything about it. It's a free country and if we don't like something it is up to us to avoid the bad environment, or change it (not likely) , not gripe about it in a forum for members.
This is just my opinion and I own it.
I agree with your use of "we" here, because it's accurate. Though I would apply it even more broadly to 'we humans', not necessarily limiting to Overland Bound.

I do disagree with your opinion on whether or not conversations like this belong here. I believe that there can be value in these topics, for several reasons:

1. There are people that are 'guilty' of committing some of these acts who may not even realize they are doing something that is not socially acceptable. The reason I post in these types of threads, is in the hopes that a person who may not have otherwise known some of their actions are frowned upon will actually learn something, and make a change for the better.
2. For some people, the act of venting is cathartic. You may not perceive or receive any benefit from these discussions, but others do.
3. Your last statement seems to directly conflict with your sentiment... You don't believe people should make complaint posts in this forum, and state that if they don't like something they should just avoid the 'bad environment', or change it, but not gripe about it. However, you convey that message in the most ironic way: By making a complaint post; while not avoiding the 'bad environment'; and griping about it in a forum for members. I don't point that out as a rip on you, rather to suggest that perhaps you do receive some benefit from these posts after all, or you probably wouldn't have posted at all.

The good thing is, although we may disagree on this topic, we likely agree on many more things than we do not. Added to the fact that we are mature enough to openly exchange opposing ideas such as this, while remaining civil and friendly, I think these threads can be meaningful. Even if they have the potential to cause unintended harm, as you suggest.

And of course, that is just my opinion.. Worth as much as the paper it's written on!

Ghost

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

First Name
Trever
Last Name
M
Member #

I feel the same. I'd look elsewhere for the kind of peace I'm looking for in the first place. I don't need any of this BS in my camp site.
Wait what? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: You just went from I’ll never go to that pet peeve thread, to quoting and agreeing with peoples complaints. Poke poke you gotta admit that is funny?

An as I’ve said before I’ll be the first to take some ribbing. As much as I dish it out I’ll always be willing to take some:laughing:

• Haha
Reactions: Downs and bmwguru