Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

ha! and i'm sure they still didn't get it, probably when you left they were upset and chattering to each other how you were "eavesdropping" on them! you camp to get away from that and BINGO, they are right next to you now even closer than if they were a neighbor back home.
LOL. Isn't that the truth! Definitely not eavesdropping. My wife and I said several times to each other while we were there that we'd be surprised if our neighbours heard one word we said. I'm willing to tolerate some "kid noise" (I think I was one once) but when it gets out of hand I don't mind letting them know. btw - these people were a good 150 away from us!

Another pet peeve comes to mind ... how does one manage to set off their car alarm when they're camping? I once heard a guy, not the guilty party, shout out ... "there's better ways to scare off the bears." ha ha.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Stories like above are why you'll rarely see me at any kind of established camp ground. I'd rather take a dispersed spot with no amenities than listen to "human noise". Sometimes there's just no option and in those cases I try to stay at Corps of Engineer Campgrounds. I find they tend to be populated by older retiree type folks and that makes for a lot less noise.

Last edited:

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

Stories like above are why you'll rarely see me at any kind of established camp ground. I'd rather take a dispersed spot with no amenities than listen to "human noise". Sometimes there's just no option and in those cases I try to stay at Corps of Engineer Campgrounds. I find they tend to be populated by older retiree type folks and that makes for a lot less noise.
This is exactly my approach as well. With that said, I was up at one of my favorite spots in the George Washington Nationa Forest two weekends ago and there was literally some religious group/cult of approximately 200, yes 200, men that had built about a 25ft high cross and were yelling religious chants until about 1am. It was all in Spanish as well, so I couldn't make out exactly what they were saying. The next morning there were literally 2 tour buses that came down the forest road to pick them all up. It was a bit bizarre. I've never seen that before.

• Wow
Reactions: Ghost and Downs

Gary Stevens

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Reseda California
Member #

Loud music, generators, poeple fouling camp site outhouses; please dont hover and explode, this is not your home, and lastly people cutting through my camp site. The last time this happened late at night, I sat quietly while 6 of them came through taliking to each other like no big deal. Then shone my light on my 90 pound German Shepherd as they got right up to him. Such a good dog waited so well until they got close. They will never do that again.

MtnManAlex

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Drones. Recently near Moab a neighboring camp was flying two drones from 5pm to 9pm... buzzing back and forth. Then at 6:30am, as I am enjoying a peaceful morning, there they are again buzzing around over the entire campground. It felt extremely invasive and inconsiderate.

Reactions: Downs and Ghost

Ghost

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

North Bonneville, WA, USA
First Name
Trever
Last Name
M
Member #

Drones. Recently in Moab a nearby campground was flying two drones from 5pm to 9pm... buzzing back and forth. Then at 6:30am, as I am enjoying a peaceful morning, there they are again buzzing around over the entire campground. It felt extremely invasive and inconsiderate.
Now there is something I would have never thought about since I’d not experienced a drone situation like that.

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
Loud music, generators, poeple fouling camp site outhouses; please dont hover and explode, this is not your home, and lastly people cutting through my camp site. The last time this happened late at night, I sat quietly while 6 of them came through taliking to each other like no big deal. Then shone my light on my 90 pound German Shepherd as they got right up to him. Such a good dog waited so well until they got close. They will never do that again.
Sounds like one of those moments you wish you had on video. Having a large GSD myself I have enjoyed a few times when folks have suddenly become very respectful.

WRT the drones in the morning, I watched an entertaining episode among a group of friends: One was flying his drone to get morning footage of our site and one of the other guys walked off to go answer the call of nature. The one with the drone thought he would be cute and follow the other guy. Until the other guy pulled his pistol and drew a bead on the drone. The drone beat a quick retreat.

Be it a good dog or a gun, sometimes you need a little extra in order to remind folks they need to show a bit of respect to each other.

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
Groups of UTV's.

The sheer number of these little 'mosquitoes' buzzing around ruined my last trip to Silverton. And to top it off, the folks occupying the cockpit of those machines matched most of the behaviors already listed in this thread.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I cant even add to this.
All the same. That's why I remote camp. Unfortunately, remote camping becomes a fad every decade or so. In a few years, maybe the fad will be boats again or if were lucky, the stupid people will try sky diving.

Eric Neal

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Atlanta, GA
Member #

Being around other people is pretty annoying :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy: I tend to be pretty anti social when out camping or wheeling unless it's with a select group of friends/family. I mainly go do that stuff to get away from everything/one
being retired I find weekday trips are an excellent avoidance technique - most times - for excessive human BS, as long as it isn't a weekday bracketed by a holiday weekend. Moak and I have shared our opinions and agreed on this idea before... and amazingly enough we enjoy the solitude so much that we've never even discussed "connecting for a joint trip" LOL

Moak, you are my hero!

Reactions: Ghost and Downs

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

LOL. Isn't that the truth! Definitely not eavesdropping. My wife and I said several times to each other while we were there that we'd be surprised if our neighbours heard one word we said. I'm willing to tolerate some "kid noise" (I think I was one once) but when it gets out of hand I don't mind letting them know. btw - these people were a good 150 away from us!

Another pet peeve comes to mind ... how does one manage to set off their car alarm when they're camping? I once heard a guy, not the guilty party, shout out ... "there's better ways to scare off the bears." ha ha.
I'll admit, this happened to me a few weeks ago in Colorado. We were camping off of Last Dollar Road and I had my keys in my pocket. Somehow, the way I was sitting caused the panic button to be hit, and off goes the factory alarm (horn). It was the first time it had happened and unlike previous vehicles I had, hitting the unlock button doesn't shut it off. Nor does any button, in fact, I had to start the engine for it to stop! It was only about 15 seconds but it seemed like an eternity and I felt awful. Luckily there was only one other group in ear shot, and it was just after dusk, so I'm sure nobody was sleeping.

As for mine..

1. People being very loud, as others have said, is the primary
Particularly those with kids that don't even attempt to keep them quiet. I don't expect zero noise or anything, but also don't expect them to be running through the campground, through others campsites, screaming at the top of their lungs. One of the first things we taught our kids was to be respectful of the peace and quiet many campers are seeking. BTW, I will clarify, day use / swimming areas / playgrounds, I couldn't care less if they're loud. This is one of the main reasons we only camp in campgrounds, if absolutely necessary.

2. People building multiple fire pits in a single back-country campsite
I have started seeing more and more of this on BLM land, in sites where we have camped repeatedly over the years.. One, that had a single large pit for years, got all the way up to 5 separate rings one year! I always disperse / deconstruct the extras, and cover them well enough so they can't be identified. I have found some that were less than 10' away from the primary.. I guess the 'view' wasn't exactly tailored to their specific setup? :/

3. Strangers camping close to you in the back-country
There's a reason I drove 45 minutes from town up this mountain, on a 4x4 trail, and it wasn't so I could have 'neighbors'. If I can see or hear you, you're too close (with some obvious exceptions). If there are no other previously used sites or something, I am way more willing to tolerate it, but I have legitimately had this happen when there were dozens of open sites that they passed, to camp closer to me than if we were in a state park. I don't know if they're just scared to be alone or what!

Last edited:

flyfisher117

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Idaho
First Name
John
Last Name
Hansen
Member #

What is that one thing that you really find annoying while out camping / Overlanding?

Is it something that is just irritating, or ruin your whole trip?

I’m pretty laid back but like most, I have one. I’ll wait and see if it comes up in the comments.
People that shit in the woods right around a camp spot and leave their toilet paper to blow in the wind or my dog to find.

chuckoverland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Spokane, WA
Member #

People that shit in the woods right around a camp spot and leave their toilet paper to blow in the wind or my dog to find.
Been there done that. Our biggest peeve is cigarette butts. We are smokers but we bring self extinguishing ashtrays and dump butts in the trasharoo. We go around and pick up other peoples butts too.

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

Definitely hate that, but sometimes even more frustrating is hiking out the 200+ feet, finding a nice secluded spot, and find that several others have used the same place but clearly forgot their shovel. At least the thoughtful ones will put a rock on top of the pile, so the TP doesn't blow away... :/

That's more frustrating to me, mainly because they clearly knew what they were 'supposed' to do; where those that leave their mess 10' out of their site may just be completely ignorant. At least there's hope those ones will eventually learn and change. The willfull dirtbag will most likely only get worse and more brazen. :p

Reactions: grubworm

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Definitely hate that, but sometimes even more frustrating is hiking out the 200+ feet, finding a nice secluded spot, and find that several others have used the same place but clearly forgot their shovel. At least the thoughtful ones will put a rock on top of the pile, so the TP doesn't blow away... :/

That's more frustrating to me, mainly because they clearly knew what they were 'supposed' to do; where those that leave their mess 10' out of their site may just be completely ignorant. At least there's hope those ones will eventually learn and change. The willfull dirtbag will most likely only get worse and more brazen. :p
ha! yeah, thats bad. i also hate when im at a state park that only has primitive sites and the bathhouse. you go in there to find that someone exploded in there and left it. some of the mess i've seen actually defies the laws of physics...

• Haha
Reactions: Craig M