What is your must cook meal or must have food for camping.

• HTML tutorial

DrivingTacoLoco

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Winston-Salem, NC, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Weiss
Member #

Ziploc used to sell a battery powered hand held vacuum sealer that took zipper bags. Looks like it's no longer sold but continues to work with other zipper bags. I think other makers may have similar more portable units.

With no freezer look to backpackers for more options. Check out Dave Morrow on Youtube or on his site at Dave Morrow Photography – Landscape, Night Sky & Wilderness Photography He is an engineer turned photographer who spends most of his time on the road switching between backpacking and overlanding for his photography. He has had a few videos over the last few years on his methods for food prep and storage for his adventures. Last I saw he was also w/o a fridge. the video that comes to mind is :
Boort
Wow. He is way to organized for me. Im a meat and potatoes guy. I think I would starve traveling with him. Lol

Reactions: Boort

FJ Montana

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Livingston, MT, USA
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Newell
Member #

Breakfast burritos on the wok. I preslice elk straps, peppers, onions, sun dried tomatoes, pineapple, and mushrooms. Cook the onions first, then throw in the elk, sauté it a bit, then throw the rest of the vegetables in for a few minutes. Crack a few eggs and scramble it all. Throw some pepper and Siracha on it and toss a couple times then Fill some tortillas full of it and eat. Hard to beat.

JeepingMike

Rank V

Advocate II

Greencastle, PA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Stern
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB7THL
Service Branch
USN Corpsman Veteran
Foil packet dinners! Go to is usually chicken fajita. Chicken strips prepped ahead with fajita seasoning in a ziploc bag, onions, bell peppers, all in foil over open fire, into tortillas with salsa.

• Love
Reactions: Boort and grubworm

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I love to get all fancy! Fried turkey with trimming for 10 in the middle of Baja.
Fried lobster, green salad and garlic bread grilled peaches with whipped cream, the next day. Last night started with clams with pico de Gallo and butter on the half shell, followed by steak, cream corn, green beans, fresh fruit salad. I love feeding others well in remote places.

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
Breakfast, and I like to keep it simple. One frying pan.

One of those little milk-carton sized cartons of freeze dried hash browns, a same-sized carton of egg beaters (real eggs), a bag of shredded cheese, some butter, and a bag of bacon bits.

Boil water, pour into the carton of hash browns and wait the 12 minutes it tells you to do. Put some of the potatoes in a frying pan with a good bit of butter and brown the potatoes. Pour in some of the liquid eggs and scramble/mix with the hash browns. Once almost done, mix in some of the bacon bits, and when done, sprinkle in some of the shredded cheese and stir. Eat it out of the frying pan, or put on a plate if you want to act like you're civilized. With catsup or taco sauce (optional).

You can also buy Spam in individual slices. You can slice and dice up one of those and substitute for the bacon bits (might want to brown the spam with the hash browns instead of adding them later).

LONO100

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Bay Area CA
First Name
Ken
Last Name
PXXXXXXX
The food and drink at the top of my list are bacon, eggs and lots of coffee for the mornings, and a simple T bone or ribeye steak in the evening. I just love the simplicity of salt, pepper, steak, fire as the sun goes down. I'm not picky for lunch because it's usually pre-made sandos or fruit packed into my bag as I go off hiking or fishing. For drinks, of course lots and lots of water, but a case of Mexican cokes, and a bottle of whiskey to wind me down. My wife enjoys a bottle of Moscato, and my son loves his chocolate milk.

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
For me SOS for breakfast at least once, camp made chili, elk or venison burgers and steaks with potatoes. I enjoy making everything from scratch in camp and relaxing while it cooks.

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
Chili with cornbread mix on top cooked in the fire in a Dutch oven, enjoyed with an ice cold dark ale by the fire... now I have to get out and go camping..lol

Reactions: Lone Wolf 1965

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
Recipe please....
We typically hang our Dutch oven over the fire (preferably a fire that's been going for a while with some good coals) prepare ingredients per your favorite chili recipe and cook it in the bottom of the oven until thoroughly hot & cooked (alternately you could substitute your favorite canned chili and just heat it up in the bottom if you prefer) While the chili is cooking whip a a batch of cornbread batter from ingredients or a mix, when chili is ready pour the cornbread slowly over the top of the chili, place the lid on the oven and shovel a layer of coals onto the lid. Avoid to much heat on the bottom side so the chili does not burn. Should take around 20 to 30 minutes for the cornbread to cook. We start checking after 20 minutes. When the cornbread is cooked dinner is served, the chili help makes the bread super moist and the flavor is awesome. The biggest learning curve is how much chili and how much mix depending on size of oven, we have a small one since there is only two of us, the equivalent of one small can and one jiffy cornbread mix seems to work. Too little chili and it burns,, to much cornbread and the lid lifts off the oven lol. It seems to help things go smoother if cold beer (or beverage of choice) is poured into the cook and assistant during the process.
1603429572693.png