What is your must cook meal or must have food for camping.

• HTML tutorial

nickburt

Rank VII
Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

Bacon, eggs, sausages, black pudding, tomatoes, mushrooms, hash browns, baked beans.

Nothing like a good breakfast fry up :sunglasses:

billum v2.0

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Flyover Country
Member #

Good Grief, most of you posting here eat better on the trail than I do at home.

A question to those of you with the vacuum packagers...........the prices and options on these things run the gamut and I'm ignorant as a doorknob. I'd be a casual user (no commercial grade). Would those that own one make a few suggestions as to what you've found are must have's and what're bells and whistles.

Reactions: NightCrawler

Dakeg218

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Charlotte, NC
Member #

Pizza mountain pies. Get a sandwich iron (the thicker the better) and stack it with butter, bread slice (both sides), caned pizza sauce, motarella cheese sticks and peperoni. Close and the iron and put it in the fire, heat until crispy. The first one takes 5-6 min because the iron is cold, but after that you can get em off every minuet or two. Delicious and social.

Enthusiast III

Costa Mesa
First Name
Stan
Last Name
Wingert
I have 3 generations of cast iron cook wear that I have inherited. My favorite ones are my great grandfather's 14" cast skillet and his 16" Dutch oven. Both many years old and still going strong. Both of them were used to cook for the cedar choppers of the Texas hill county during the depression.
How do you pack them for traveling cast-iron?

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: lhoffm4

Redyeti

Rank 0

Traveler I

My kids and I love hot ham and cheese sandwiches. I get a loaf of french bread, slice it most of the way through and pack deli ham, cheddar cheese (real stuff) and mayo. I double wrap it in tinfoil, and put in near a campfire, or on my old coleman two-burner stove on low flame and roll it around until the cheese melts. Pull it off the heat, and tear off one sandwich at a time off the loaf as the kids wander back by because of the delicious smell.

furpod

Rank I

Enthusiast I

I bring my tailgate Green mountain smoker with me usually do ribs or a brisket

Sent from my Pixel XL using OB Talk mobile app
+1

The GMG Davy Crockett totally rocks. Last year, we did a winter trip to the coast of SC for 10 days. 3 couples. At least 90% of EVERYTHING we ate that trip was done on our GMG DC, and both the other couples had ordered one for themselves by the time we left. We did everything from brisket to cinnamon rolls. We also always do ribs while out.

NightCrawler

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Moreno Valley, Ca
First Name
Steven
Last Name
DeLong
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7DTH
My kids and I love hot ham and cheese sandwiches. I get a loaf of french bread, slice it most of the way through and pack deli ham, cheddar cheese (real stuff) and mayo. I double wrap it in tinfoil, and put in near a campfire, or on my old coleman two-burner stove on low flame and roll it around until the cheese melts. Pull it off the heat, and tear off one sandwich at a time off the loaf as the kids wander back by because of the delicious smell.
I will be trying that one the next outing.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

All I can say, is now for sure I need to make one of the OB meet ups! Bring my extra big plate and see what I can beg off each person, then move to the next and so on tell full!!! Haha.

I like frying up red, russets and Yukon potatoes, adding in mushrooms, onion, garlic, black pepper, sea salt, beef sausage and some shredded cheese. Maybe a fried egg or Two on top of this. My kids look forward to this on all our camping trips! Benz.

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

Good Grief, most of you posting here eat better on the trail than I do at home.

A question to those of you with the vacuum packagers...........the prices and options on these things run the gamut and I'm ignorant as a doorknob. I'd be a casual user (no commercial grade). Would those that own one make a few suggestions as to what you've found are must have's and what're bells and whistles.
I use the food saver brand, I’ve gone through a couple of them but I use it almost everyday. I open and reseal things like cheese and lunch meat, buy in bulk and separate stuff into smaller portions and seal up leftovers for reheatable meals for camping or at home. I also hunt and fish a lot and process my own meat. I buy the bulk box of bags at Costco when they’re on sale which is also where I get the food savers. They have an excellent return policy if one craps out too fast, but the current one has been going for a couple years now. I don’t use any of the extra bells and whistles like the canisters etc... I do like the pulse button that allows you to control the vacuum so you don’t crush things or vacuum too tight on stuff like t bone steaks that will puncture the bag. Once you figure it out and start using it regularly, you’ll start using all the time. It’s useful for all sorts of stuff you want to keep sealed up and dry.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

chartgpa

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

coastal georgia
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Hart
Member #

We take a lot of trips with scouts or collage kids going camping and caving so for breakfast boil in bag breakfast burritos are the go to meal. You take containers of precut onions, bell peppers, mushrooms, cheese, bacon and sausage so prep is quick. First up starts coffee and a big pot of water when water boils each person takes a quart zip lock bag and marks the top with perm marker they then put 1 or two eggs and any of the filling they want into the bag mix it up, drop it into the boiling water and wait until done. Put the egg mixture in a tortia and your done simple and quick.

DawgRaider

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kennewick Washington
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Morton
Member #

Instant hashbrowns browned in cast iron skillet add a can of chilli / mix together and top with cheese serve as soon as cheese is melted (spice to everyones liking)
Always a hit and quick

Reactions: Red Beard