Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Northern VA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Pukish
Member #

When you remove the chains of money and ask me to dream I'm going BIG. My adventure heads south into central America. That's where my small convoy of Man expedition rigs will cross the Darien Gap. From there we send up the LIDAR mapping drones & go exploring Indiana Jones style.
View attachment 119290View attachment 119291
You had me at Indiana Jones.

Specter

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Northern VA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Pukish
Member #

This:
post an image online

Oh, wait, that is my truck.
For me the dream is not what would I buy, but what would I do with my Suburban. I already bought my dream truck, I just can't afford to outfit it the way I really want.
LS Swap, ARB Lockers, bull bar, 13,000lb winch, on-board air, 35in tires, ........the list is long and the dream way bigger than my budget.
You’re right, that would be a solid start.

Reactions: WilhelmB

carguyinok

Rank 0

Contributor I

N.E Oklahoma
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Shlosser
Thank you, I couldn't have picked a better quote if asked. I'm a FIRM believer in using the proper tool for the job. If they have made it happen with Toyota pick-up's & jeesp's I doubt these rigs would struggle a whole lot.That is if their driven correctly & taking their time.

F250_IDI_Scott

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Salem, OR, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Clawson
Member #

This:
post an image online

Oh, wait, that is my truck.
For me the dream is not what would I buy, but what would I do with my Suburban. I already bought my dream truck, I just can't afford to outfit it the way I really want.
LS Swap, ARB Lockers, bull bar, 13,000lb winch, on-board air, 35in tires, ........the list is long and the dream way bigger than my budget.
Other than the light bar that looks exactly like the suburban my family had when I was growing up. My dad has OCD so it was always immaculate. Loved that Burban.

I am just like you. My dream truck is what I already have. My 1991 F250 7.3IDI Manual with exhaust brake. I just recently started my build but like you, will take awhile until I have her exactly how I want her. Gonna change the front leaf springs to coil and shock set up so if you have any advice on that I would greatly appriciate what you can give. I just love these older rigs because I can still work on them. No computers on mine since not fuel injected or automatic. All mechanical which is all I know how to work on. LolJPEG_20190118_224017.jpeg20180819_204648.jpeg

Reactions: 4wheelspulling

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
“Dream” depends on the trip. For a ‘dream’ do-it-all, generalist Overland vehicle:

View attachment 119079

Simple, reliable, cheap, and parts a’plenty. Take all the money you save and spend it on an around-the-world adventure.

However, sometimes it’s nice to go more than 90 KPH on the highways. So, while I think the above is a good general answer, for me specifically it’d be my Tiger, but with a Safari fuel tank to give me a bit more range. Currently I sit around 300 kms with my stock tank; the Safari tank gives me 500 KMS. Bring along 2.5 gallons in a can, and there are no roads I can’t explore. The tiger is what I own, but if I didn’t, I’d still argue for it’s inclusion in the ”Dream” overland vehicle category. It’s very comfortable on road, and very capable off road — a bit better in the rough stuff than the big BMWs made famous by Evan and Charlie. Plus, the ‘older’ Tigers are very simple to fix with minimal electronics. Way more than the KLR, but not as many as the modern ADV bikes with cruise control, electronic throttles, Etc. These are reliable systems these days, but hard to repair in remote/lonely places without dealer support. I know for a fact that the Tiger of my vintage (2011) can be repaired with JB weld and hope, which is what you want in a robust adventure platform.

View attachment 119080

If we are speaking specifically of 4x4s then a Jeep J8 in “Troopy” configuration would be a great overlander, but failing that, I’d go with the Land Cruiser troopy. In the North American market, I think it’s hard to beat GM’s quadruplets on paper and in practice for a lot of overlanding trips, so that’s what I own!

View attachment 119082

Jeep’s legendary 4x4, but with upgraded brakes, axles, frame, suspension, and without a lot of the electronic gizmos and gadgets endemic to a modern car. However, it’s military only (though AEV allegedly got a few of ‘em to resell for $$)

View attachment 119083

Can’t beat the Troopy. Books have been written on good it is, so I won’t re-hash here.

View attachment 119085

And our Canyon, with Dog Tax. Doesn’t look like much now but once we are finished building it, the approache angles will be substantially better. This truck right now is 100% stock save for the rack/RTT over the bed. And to be clear, I’m not just posting this because it’s mine — it actually is a ‘dream’ Overlander in a lot of ways, and it’s specs put it near the front of the pack of what is available today (specifically meaning available new at dealerships) for off-road adventure travel. I could have substituted this photo with one of the AEV/Chevrolet Bison, which might be more in “Dream Rig” category, but the DNA in the Bison and the Canyon is the same and so they have a similar capability when tailored for the user.
I don't think I could pick just one either. Nice choices.
I put 23k miles on an 05 KLR over 18 months. Not one issue.

Reactions: ChasingOurTrunks

Bowtie Farmer

Rank 0

Contributor I

This is a question I think about before I fall asleep. My dream rig is sititng in my garage, just waiting patiently for me to get it rigged up. A Capri Blue (or green, can't decide which), 1971 FJ40 with the Cummins Diesel crate engine, 4 disc brakes, tuffy center console, and a towable trailer that matches the Cruiser with a RTT on top of it. I get a lot of Crusier inspiration from the guys at Clean Cruiser Project and the trailer from a thread on Mud. If the 40 isn't large enough (or once I have kids), an FJ43 kitted out in a similar way would be perfect.

JDavid

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Porto, Portugal
First Name
JDavid
Last Name
Silva
Member #

Forget what you drive or what you can afford, what would your dream overland vehicle be and why?

Attached is mine. Old school. Classy. Most of all, it’s a classic Toyota. It would serve me well on the trail and, as importantly, I’d love sitting back with a cold one and just looking at it after washing it down in my driveway.
Good question @Specter! Nice classic choice!!

Well, if it's blue sky thinking mode on, free of any constraints: It would be a fleet and not one vehicle.
Riding, overlanding and rally raid racing w/ motorcycles has taught me that there is no such thing as a perfect (i.e do-it-all-well) vehicle. Yet there can be a (close to) perfect garage (fleet).

So I’d go with two rigs:
1) Big rig for "low n’ slow" approach in wide open spaces: a Loft on wheels. Something like this, but scaled up on a unimog chassis.

(Reducing overall volume while driving while expanding living space when parked (full video tour) it has a friggin' deck/double wheel carrier!!!).

1.1) Big box double axle trailer (so that #1 could haul #2 :tonguewink: )

2) Agile rig for speedier and tighter terrains: a Sleeper XCRally/Overlanding "vehicle system”.
Something that seems non-existent (if its out there I haven’t seen it yet).

Both as self-designed/built as possible.

And now for a sales-y intermission:

Imagine…

Contemporary diesel powered...

...top tier desert racing performance...

...encased in Louvre displayed, class defining aesthetics.

The pedigree of the first four wheeled Paris-Dakar winner...

...Translated to 2020's modular architecture.

Switchable between Race* and... Overland** mode.

(*Complete the hardest races (while maintaining composure). **Outfited w/ exploration necessities).

Introducing the non-existent, not-so-new.
RALLYE RANGE

AVAILABLE NOWHERE***.
(***Like its euro-amero lunatic cousin TRUCKLA :smile:)

Last edited:

DoubleA_FL

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Florida, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
DoubleA
Member #

They don't build mine yet, but it would be pure electric with a solar roof and a motor for each wheel. Ultra light, minimum unsprung weight, Wrangler dimensions, outdoor kitchen, full double bed, cab over design. Keep it ALL ultralight, bright, open, airy. As few moving pieces as possible. NO sliders, NO drawers, NOTHING hanging from racks to disturb the aerodynamics.

too big...
View attachment 119184

too small
View attachment 119185

But this is the theme I'd buy.
A dedicated camper, not a repurposed Wrangler.
Have you heard Bollinger? First-ever fully capable, utility, 4x4 electric vehicle I've seen that I would actually buy. I'm in line for their 4door as my new daily driver, but I am sure I will overland it as soon as I get it, lol. Maybe you can pitch them the camper idea... a troopy style of the 4 door would be pretty killer.

BOLLINGER B1 - BOLLINGER MOTORS

The only issue I see is charging. Solar hasn't caught up to where it is going to charge enough to add range, it can definitely net out daily living-power, but if you run out of juice someplace shady you might be waiting a week to get out of there. But I am on the same page as you, I will be super excited when we can make the jump to offroad EV.

AA

Specter

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Northern VA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Pukish
Member #

Have you heard Bollinger? First-ever fully capable, utility, 4x4 electric vehicle I've seen that I would actually buy. I'm in line for their 4door as my new daily driver, but I am sure I will overland it as soon as I get it, lol. Maybe you can pitch them the camper idea... a troopy style of the 4 door would be pretty killer.

BOLLINGER B1 - BOLLINGER MOTORS

The only issue I see is charging. Solar hasn't caught up to where it is going to charge enough to add range, it can definitely net out daily living-power, but if you run out of juice someplace shady you might be waiting a week to get out of there. But I am on the same page as you, I will be super excited when we can make the jump to offroad EV.

AA
I’ve never heard of this, but I love the 110 look of it. Honestly I can’t get there on electric vehicles. I get the draw, but I’d miss the smell of petrol, the roar of a real engine and the grit of tradition.

DoubleA_FL

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Florida, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
DoubleA
Member #

My dream rig switches between a sportmobile econoline and a LMTV daily. I personally require highway driveability as a high requirement because I want to put miles on it. and the idea of redlining something so I can go 55 already makes me wanna jump off a bridge. so an M1079 with the gears swapped for highway speeds on the big side, or... and I have to say, more and more, im leaning Econoline. big diesel, hydro heat, big AC, big solar. sounds like the best all-around vehicle for my wants.

For me, overlanding is one thing, but being able to travel to fish is another for me (obsessed with tuna fishing). If I was able to pull up to the marina and just sleep in my van it would make life a LOT easier. Now, lottery budget, I build two: a more road-friendly sprinter with a shower, for more highway travel, family trips, campsites, etc... and then the LMTV for the legit overland trips, extended trips, natural disaster relief, etc...

Reactions: 64Trvlr

Specter

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Northern VA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Pukish
Member #

My dream rig switches between a sportmobile econoline and a LMTV daily. I personally require highway driveability as a high requirement because I want to put miles on it. and the idea of redlining something so I can go 55 already makes me wanna jump off a bridge. so an M1079 with the gears swapped for highway speeds on the big side, or... and I have to say, more and more, im leaning Econoline. big diesel, hydro heat, big AC, big solar. sounds like the best all-around vehicle for my wants.

For me, overlanding is one thing, but being able to travel to fish is another for me (obsessed with tuna fishing). If I was able to pull up to the marina and just sleep in my van it would make life a LOT easier. Now, lottery budget, I build two: a more road-friendly sprinter with a shower, for more highway travel, family trips, campsites, etc... and then the LMTV for the legit overland trips, extended trips, natural disaster relief, etc...

Lots of room and plenty of space for storage! Cool selection.

Reactions: DoubleA_FL

Specter

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Northern VA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Pukish
Member #

Diesel G-wagen with manual everything any variant of a 70 series LC would do just fine!
Strong choice. I know a few special forces units that use the G wagon because of its agility off road and speed. Even armored they are fast.

Reactions: Kraus956