Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Northern VA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Pukish
Member #

I think my answer would be different every day of the week you ask me, and depending on where I as intending to go. It's fun to dream and kick around different ideas though.

On the "semi-realistic" side of things, I think it'd be either a JL Unlimited or JT (Gladiator), starting life as a non-Rubicon. If money isn't a concern, it'd be Moab in the JL, or an Overland in the Gladiator. Either one I'd want in the new 3rd gen EcoDiesel when it's released. Why not a Rubicon? Well, I'd be putting a pair of really nice aftermarket D60s, or maybe D60/80 under it and 40-42" tires with the absolute minimal lift possible (big tires, low COG, tons of flex). I think the Gladiator would actually be my choice in this scenario since I could do a bed-rack and not have my RTT 5 miles above ground and I'd use the bed space for a giant fridge/freezer on a slide-out, reserve fuel, a water system, etc. Then I'd ditch the rear seats and build-out some really neat storage. I have some ideas in my head of what it'd look like, but again not giving money a second thought I'd work with a high-end cabinet builder and really try to do some innovative stuff. Obviously all the usual stuff like armor, lighting, etc. would get done. As I've witnessed in many other threads most would call 40" tires "overkill" or even "stupid" for Overlanding... but when I live about 2hrs from the Rubicon and a zillion other trails (some more difficult than the Rubicon) it's what I'd do. And yes, I'm aware you can make the Rubicon in a stock JLR on stock tires. But hey, if I'm spending "dream money" I'd go big.

On the fully insane side of things, I think I'd get an Earth Roamer. You're paying a lot extra just for the name, but hey a nice used one can be had for just over a half-million: https://earthroamer.com/pre-owned-190/ This would only be my route if somehow I fell into Bill Gates money and this was not going to be my ONLY rig. They're super bad-a and obviously very capable... but still they're too big/heavy for certain things I'd want to do. So I'd have this and a cool JL build or something.

In more of a "what would I build" scenario, I'd have to build something off a 'mog. I'd have to put a LOT more thought into it to decide things like wheelbase and such, but I think I'd want something overall smaller than the Earth Roamer, but that offers similar cabin space/tank sizes/etc. I'd also want a more modern motor in it and the ability to cruise down the freeway at 70 MPH without any issues. This is a route I still imagine doing "someday" when I have the time/space/money for a multi-year build, maybe as a retirement project, but then I'd prob be too old to really enjoy it by the time it was done.

Another "semi-realistic" would be building off of a '19 RAM 2500. The easy choice would be a Power Wagon, but I'd want a diesel so I'd probably start with a "regular" 2500. Much like what I'd actually build, how I'd build a RAM 2500 would surely change day to day too. There would be upsides and downsides to the various cab and wheelbase options. Some days I think I'd get a regular cab, then have an all-AL "tray" (aka bed) built for it. Something similar to:

Now, I'd have my tray a bit more built out with storage, fuel/water tanks, and a rack with RTT. But the "basic" version would be kind of like that. I'd want to run the AEV suspension that moves the front axle forward, allowing 40"s with very little lift (something like 2" IIRC) but AFAIK it's not available yet for the '19+. I'm sure AEV will get to making a 2019+ offering though, and I'd do a little tweaking to get a 42" under it. Since I wouldn't be starting with a Power Wagon I'd be adding lockers (and re-gearing) the axles, along with some trussing. I'd want an aftermarket fuel tank in the 50+ gallon range under the truck (like the 60 gallon I run on my '11 D'max) with custom armor for it, along with the fuel storage I'd build into the "tray" (perhaps having a separate stank for some gasoline to help friends out on longer trips). Other days I think I'd use a Quad or Megacab to have most of my storage inside the cab, then a much smaller tray for the dirty stuff.

Then, there are days where I think I'd just LS-swap my WJ, do a nice full-width D44 pair for it, get it on a 35-37" tire, armor it up, and run it!

-TJ
I get the feeling this isn’t the first you’ve ask yourself that question. Haha. Those are some strong builds. I respect the fact that you do your own thing, your own way and for your own purposes. I am much the same way in that my build is purpose driven specific to my own needs, and not what others think is ‘standard’. Thanks for posting!

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

I get the feeling this isn’t the first you’ve ask yourself that question. Haha. Those are some strong builds. I respect the fact that you do your own thing, your own way and for your own purposes. I am much the same way in that my build is purpose driven specific to my own needs, and not what others think is ‘standard’. Thanks for posting!
Thanks. Yes, it's fair to say I've thought about this... you know, once or twice before.

-TJ

Reactions: Specter

Specter

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Northern VA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Pukish
Member #

Thanks. Yes, it's fair to say I've thought about this... you know, once or twice before.

-TJ
If you ask me, thinking of the ‘dream build’, the next mod or the next trip is all part of it. I go to sleep almost every night building and/or rebuilding my rig in my head.

Reactions: ChasingOurTrunks

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

If you ask me, thinking of the ‘dream build’, the next mod or the next trip is all part of it. I go to sleep almost every night building and/or rebuilding my rig in my head.

Lol, me too. Some nights it's dreaming of my WJ build, and other nights it's "what if I hit the lottery" builds like I posted above.

-TJ

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
A bike makes a lot of sense, but it’s not for me. I grew up with two enduro bikes and loved them, but for whatever reason I just can’t get past the dangers of getting to the trail on one. With people more distracted than ever while they drive the risk just doesn’t seem worth it. That said, they are an adventure in and of themselves on and off the road.
No argument here — the added mobility, lower price, and simplicity of a bike comes with a huge increase in the risk of injury as compared to a car. I used to ride every day as I used my bike as my work commuting vehicle, from St. Patricks Day to October. I was rabid over riding as much and as often as I could. However, I have never gone a full week on that level of use without seeing a situation that was only one factor away from being a disaster, and often that factor was me being hyper aware and braking, avoiding, etc. Because someone in a car wasn’t paying attention. It’s fun, but it’s too much risk — if I’m going to go out on my bike, it at least has to have a decent story with it like “Died astride his motorcycle en route to Mongolia“ as opposed to “Was struck and killed by Karen who was late getting her son to T-Ball and ran a red light”.

I now exclusively use my bike for trips outside the city with the minor exception of when i use it for my business (One of the things I do is a presentation on ‘lessons learned from riding a motorcycle’ for business, schools, etc. that gets used as a keynote, and of course the bike is the star of the show, so I will usually ride the bike to the location and bring it inside with me).

Specter

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Northern VA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Pukish
Member #

No argument here — the added mobility, lower price, and simplicity of a bike comes with a huge increase in the risk of injury as compared to a car. I used to ride every day as I used my bike as my work commuting vehicle, from St. Patricks Day to October. I was rabid over riding as much and as often as I could. However, I have never gone a full week on that level of use without seeing a situation that was only one factor away from being a disaster, and often that factor was me being hyper aware and braking, avoiding, etc. Because someone in a car wasn’t paying attention. It’s fun, but it’s too much risk — if I’m going to go out on my bike, it at least has to have a decent story with it like “Died astride his motorcycle en route to Mongolia“ as opposed to “Was struck and killed by Karen who was late getting her son to T-Ball and ran a red light”.

I now exclusively use my bike for trips outside the city with the minor exception of when i use it for my business (One of the things I do is a presentation on ‘lessons learned from riding a motorcycle’ for business, schools, etc. that gets used as a keynote, and of course the bike is the star of the show, so I will usually ride the bike to the location and bring it inside with me).
It’s truly scary on the roads today. I’ve spent over two decades putting myself at risk while protecting others all over the world and I can tell you it isn’t the bullets that get people like me in the end - it’s the travel. And a big part of that is vehicle accidents. Very cool that you incorporate your ride into your presentation. Thanks for chiming in - I appreciate the dialogue.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

They don't build mine yet, but it would be pure electric with a solar roof and a motor for each wheel. Ultra light, minimum unsprung weight, Wrangler dimensions, outdoor kitchen, full double bed, cab over design. Keep it ALL ultralight, bright, open, airy. As few moving pieces as possible. NO sliders, NO drawers, NOTHING hanging from racks to disturb the aerodynamics.

too big...
b25e8b729171dacfa4fde3316e15206f.jpg

too small
30563093035_09971c514d_b.jpg

But this is the theme I'd buy.
A dedicated camper, not a repurposed Wrangler.

Last edited:
Reactions: oglj and DoubleA_FL

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

Forget what you drive or what you can afford, what would your dream overland vehicle be and why?

Attached is mine. Old school. Classy. Most of all, it’s a classic Toyota. It would serve me well on the trail and, as importantly, I’d love sitting back with a cold one and just looking at it after washing it down in my driveway.
I have mine... it's refurbishment is almost done and then I can start tweaking it for adventure.

A '63 Land Rover SIIa 88 Station Wagon.

JimBill

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

San Benito County, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Madison
Member #

I don't know about my dream rig, but the one I wish I kept was my 99 Silverado std cab short bed Z-71. It had the 4.8 L and a 5 speed, and manual transfer case. In 4 low and 1st gear, I could step out and pee and get back in without taking it out of gear or having to catch up to it. It was a tractor off road and had decent mileage on highway, and when towing there was always a gear to match the grade. I tortured that poor truck. At 221K I made the mistake of selling it instead of fixing it. Needed a transmission, clutch, and new G-80 locker is all. (Not bad, 221k on the factory clutch!!) I prefer trucks, but strangely find myself with SUVs and 2 trailers now.

99 silverado snowed in.jpg 99 hollister hills.JPG

Reactions: KennethC

Specter

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Northern VA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Pukish
Member #

They don't build mine yet, but it would be pure electric with a solar roof and a motor for each wheel. Ultra light, minimum unsprung weight, Wrangler dimensions, outdoor kitchen, full double bed, cab over design. Keep it ALL ultralight, bright, open, airy. As few moving pieces as possible. NO sliders, NO drawers, NOTHING hanging from racks to disturb the aerodynamics.

too big...
View attachment 119184

too small
View attachment 119185

But this is the theme I'd buy.
A dedicated camper, not a repurposed Wrangler.
Wow. Very unique design.

Specter

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Northern VA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Pukish
Member #

I don't know about my dream rig, but the one I wish I kept was my 99 Silverado std cab short bed Z-71. It had the 4.8 L and a 5 speed, and manual transfer case. In 4 low and 1st gear, I could step out and pee and get back in without taking it out of gear or having to catch up to it. It was a tractor off road and had decent mileage on highway, and when towing there was always a gear to match the grade. I tortured that poor truck. At 221K I made the mistake of selling it instead of fixing it. Needed a transmission, clutch, and new G-80 locker is all. (Not bad, 221k on the factory clutch!!) I prefer trucks, but strangely find myself with SUVs and 2 trailers now.

View attachment 119189 View attachment 119190
I think just about everyone on here let a good rig go at one time or another. For me it was a Jeep that I sold because i needed the money I was spending on gas to pay for my wedding. I still have the wife, so I guess it was worth it!

Reactions: JimBill

carguyinok

Rank 0

Contributor I

N.E Oklahoma
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Shlosser
When you remove the chains of money and ask me to dream I'm going BIG. My adventure heads south into central America. That's where my small convoy of Man expedition rigs will cross the Darien Gap. From there we send up the LIDAR mapping drones & go exploring Indiana Jones style.
Man6x62.jpgman8x8.jpg

Reactions: 64Trvlr

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

This:
post an image online

Oh, wait, that is my truck.
For me the dream is not what would I buy, but what would I do with my Suburban. I already bought my dream truck, I just can't afford to outfit it the way I really want.
LS Swap, ARB Lockers, bull bar, 13,000lb winch, on-board air, 35in tires, ........the list is long and the dream way bigger than my budget.

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

This:
post an image online

Oh, wait, that is my truck.
For me the dream is not what would I buy, but what would I do with my Suburban. I already bought my dream truck, I just can't afford to outfit it the way I really want.
LS Swap, ARB Lockers, bull bar, 13,000lb winch, on-board air, 35in tires, ........the list is long and the dream way bigger than my budget.
I see 8 lugs!

-TJ