What is the last thing you bought and plan to buy?

• HTML tutorial

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
Just a 200w solar panel and some 8020 aluminum extrusion to do a DIY load bar to mount to my tent. May do an additional one down the road to maximize non-peak power output.

Reactions: SLO Rob and roots66

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

Although I’ve had it for a while, I didn’t realize how convenient having an “attic” in the back of the 4Runner was. I can put soooo many clothes and jackets up there and it keeps them from getting dirty! Install was not bad either. From Raingler…

870138A8-BA97-4504-94D1-4435388A844F.jpeg
59225DDE-CF3E-4691-8758-7E4F88C3B53B.jpeg
812B8C3C-1989-4440-AD87-42D161EA00DD.jpeg081DCDAF-26A1-4323-805D-D653C2F709C0.jpeg

Reactions: SLO Rob and roots66

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
The truck had a dead battery Thur morning, but I was able to jump start it with the John Deere. Although I carry jumper cables in the truck at all times, it dawned on me, what if I'm somewhere there isn't another vehicle to use? So, I picked up a portable jump starter.

IMAG2657.jpg

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
After selling the camper shell, I used the funds to get a pair of cross bars that fit over the bed cover and a 64x50 cargo basket.

IMAG2653.jpg

Reactions: SLO Rob and Advtres

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
I’ve
The truck had a dead battery Thur morning, but I was able to jump start it with the John Deere. Although I carry jumper cables in the truck at all times, it dawned on me, what if I'm somewhere there isn't another vehicle to use? So, I picked up a portable jump starter.

View attachment 257007
got one for each rig. Had to use one yesterday after I left the radios on in thecopcar.

Last edited:
Reactions: roots66

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

Newtonhill, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
Just replaced our Dometic awning with a Darche 180 Eclipse Versatile with tapered sides and inner walls.
Bit of final tweaking needed but happy so far
Loads of room under the tapered sides

Attachments

EwingJK

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Brentwood, CA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Ewing
Member #

Service Branch
US Navy
I bought a 2018 Colorado ZR2 on May 8th. It was an impromptu purchase brought on by the death of my 2005 Trailblazer LS after 254K miles (2nd owner after 31K miles). The first day of our 3-week travel trailer trip from the SF Bay Area to San Diego, Anza-Borrego and Sequoias National Forest, the TB overheated in Paso Robles, CA. Had it towed to Grover City since we were staying at a RV site in Oceano, CA. The engine failed pressure test, indicating several different possibilities that resulted in replacing the engine. The shop wanted $7400 to install a used motor with 133K miles on it. I immediately got on the phone looking for a ZR2. Of course, I just spent the previous month modifying the TB with 2" body lift, 2.2" suspension lift, custom steel bumper, 13,000 lb winch, all new front suspension, new Bilstein 5100 shocks all around and a Smittybilt Jeep JK swing-away tire carrier modified to fit the original TB rear bumper. The dealer in SLO where I bought the ZR2 is storing the TB for me until I can haul it back home after our 3-week trip. There were three used ZR2s available in the between Paso Robles and Santa Maria, CA.. I bought mine from San Luis Obispo. It had 61K miles. Cost was $29K including a 48 month/48K mile factory warranty. It is a Chevrolet Certified Used Vehicle. Anyway, that's why I am the proud new owner of a 2018 Colorado ZR2. When I return to the Bay Area, I'll be buying a DECKED truck bed drawer system and a Go Fast Camper. Let the Overlanding begin!!

Attachments

Graveyard Overland

Rank III

Advocate III

Lovington, Moultrie County, Illinois, United States
First Name
Bennie
Last Name
Hume
Member #

Service Branch
USMC / Nat Guard
Voyager rack, Tough Stuff Alpine 61 rooftop tent and their 270 awning. Received the tent and awning last week, just "patiently" waiting for the rack to show up so I can get everything installed! Saving again for the next upgrade but not 100% sure what it will be. Most likely going to be the rock sliders.

Reactions: roots66

Call_me_Tom

Rank III

Enthusiast II

San Joaquin County, California, United States
First Name
Tom
Last Name
K9er
Member #

Service Branch
USMC Ret
I bought a 2018 Colorado ZR2 on May 8th. It was an impromptu purchase brought on by the death of my 2005 Trailblazer LS after 254K miles (2nd owner after 31K miles). The first day of our 3-week travel trailer trip from the SF Bay Area to San Diego, Anza-Borrego and Sequoias National Forest, the TB overheated in Paso Robles, CA. Had it towed to Grover City since we were staying at a RV site in Oceano, CA. The engine failed pressure test, indicating several different possibilities that resulted in replacing the engine. The shop wanted $7400 to install a used motor with 133K miles on it. I immediately got on the phone looking for a ZR2. Of course, I just spent the previous month modifying the TB with 2" body lift, 2.2" suspension lift, custom steel bumper, 13,000 lb winch, all new front suspension, new Bilstein 5100 shocks all around and a Smittybilt Jeep JK swing-away tire carrier modified to fit the original TB rear bumper. The dealer in SLO where I bought the ZR2 is storing the TB for me until I can haul it back home after our 3-week trip. There were three used ZR2s available in the between Paso Robles and Santa Maria, CA.. I bought mine from San Luis Obispo. It had 61K miles. Cost was $29K including a 48 month/48K mile factory warranty. It is a Chevrolet Certified Used Vehicle. Anyway, that's why I am the proud new owner of a 2018 Colorado ZR2. When I return to the Bay Area, I'll be buying a DECKED truck bed drawer system and a Go Fast Camper. Let the Overlanding begin!!
What are your plans for your Trailblazer?

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
EDIT: Scratch this. Canceled the order, decided to go in a different direction. Will update when details are worked out.
Ordered a replacement set of low profile cross bars for the truck bed which set on the bed side instead of above it. The weight limit is not much more than the last set and I'll lose the use of the tonneau cover, but at least these should not break under just the weight of the basket. I also got a set of 8 c-clamps to attach them as opposed to drilling so I can take them off if I do need to use the tonneau cover.

Last edited:
Reactions: Graveyard Overland

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

Just got a 100W solar suitcase in combo with a waterproofed solar charge controller, better quality than expected but unfortunately controller came with damaged display... can't set battery type without seeing the display. Bit of a let down, ordered a different controller and will see what the service will do.

Advtres

Rank VI
Investor

Steward I

Hollister, CA, USA
First Name
Lizabeth
Last Name
Deliriumskid
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6STB
For Alice, my 4Runner -
Loaded for family trips in my red brick the tranny temps going up grades are running high.
Last trip trucking up a steep grade into Death Valley my scan gauge was reading around 240+, way to hot !! and I was using the shifter to keep the RPMs up... :screamcat:

Before I added the skid plates, larger tires, rear bumper and sleeping platform she would every once in awhile get into the 220s, now with all that gear, and the extra camping stuff, it is way outside my comfort zone when I hit the grades...

I have the Toytec heavy duty springs (200lbs) but I think I passed that range now... I need super duty! as I can feel sag in the rear.

So the next two things - tranny cooler, and heavy, heavy duty rear springs.