What is the last thing you bought and plan to buy?

• HTML tutorial

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
bought some new radios... @Mrprotaganist let me borrow one of his a couple weeks ago and i figured it would be good to have some of my own. i didn't realize CB radio was dead so I went with GMRS and then had to get a FCC license to use them. i'd kinda like to start an underground subversive broadcasting station in my attic now...:grinning:

View attachment 190926
Keep it on low power and on the GMRS channels and you will be fine... to use the radios to their full potential you will need to get your technician license.

Reactions: grubworm

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Yeah, both of those rearward ones were tough. Passenger side was a little easier or I got lucky. I used a small step ladder and went in from the top instead of jacking it up and going through the wheel wells.
This was number 8 from thecopcar. The heat shield on the AC bit me.

C048266C-94BA-40EB-8367-A7CB2DE57691.jpeg

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Yeah, both of those rearward ones were tough. Passenger side was a little easier or I got lucky. I used a small step ladder and went in from the top instead of jacking it up and going through the wheel wells.
Benefits of an inline engine is the plugs are easily accessible. Plus, with only 5 cylinders, I get an extra plug with every set of six. :tonguewink:

Reactions: ThundahBeagle

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
1) Your wife will drive a Hummer
2) Your wife will help you clear timber
3) Your wife is complicit in buying a winch (for Valentine's Day, no less.

What a keeper! You'll have to do more than just make her breakfast for Valentine's Day. $$$
Yeah, I'm jealous too.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Keep it on low power and on the GMRS channels and you will be fine... to use the radios to their full potential you will need to get your technician license.
yeah, i saw that and i applied for and got my callsign.
WRMA515

its sad. back in the 80s i was a submarine radioman with my specialty being satellite comms. i went to all kinds of schools for antennas, tuning antennas, repairing HF, UHF tramsceivers, you name it. i have absolutely forgotten everything. all those classes on radio wave propagation and i am having to read instructions just to turn the thing on now. i know i dont need to know anything for GMRS, but i thought HAM might be cool.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

This was number 8 from thecopcar. The heat shield on the AC bit me.

View attachment 192045
Yes, sir. I had blood there and on the back of my hand by the time it was all over. By the steering column rear turned out to be worse than the passenger rear for me, but they both sucked.

Unreal how you have to remove the oil fill cap and dipstick, and the PCV connection, so you can remove a BS plastic cover, so you can see and reach the components you need to change. My GMT400 big Blazer required none of that. It's one thing to remove things of consequence because they are on top of other things of consequence, but it was literally just a plastic cover that dresses the engine up.

Then the bleeding began. I wanted to do the hard ones first so I could zip through the finish easy

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Just bought new spark plugs and spark plug wires for my 2014 GMC Sierra Z71, and installed them myself. It amazes me the sheer size of the hood of my truck, and yet how little space there is in the engine bay.

Next up:
- PowerStop Z36 truck n tow drilled and slotted brake rotors and pads
- Isolator relay and battery cables for second battery (for exterior camp lighting and comms)
- If funds permit, a set of 33 inch AT tires to fit my 7 spoke GM steel wheels

...and so on...
I ordered those PowerStop Z36 rotors and pad kit from Amazon. When you check out it recommends a shop to have the kit delivered to and installed. Worked for me. Good brakes.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Benefits of an inline engine is the plugs are easily accessible. Plus, with only 5 cylinders, I get an extra plug with every set of six. :tonguewink:
How often are you going to change them?

mine were original with 190k on them.

Boucher

Rank V

Member II

Maidens, VA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Boucher
Member #

Service Branch
Retired USN
1) Your wife will drive a Hummer
2) Your wife will help you clear timber
3) Your wife is complicit in buying a winch (for Valentine's Day, no less.

What a keeper! You'll have to do more than just make her breakfast for Valentine's Day. $$$
You are 100 % correct .... No idea how I pulled that one off

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

I ordered those PowerStop Z36 rotors and pad kit from Amazon. When you check out it recommends a shop to have the kit delivered to and installed. Worked for me. Good brakes.
Eh, I busted my knuckles on the rear spark plugs, may as well handle the brakes as well.

Good to know they are good brakes. I've never used them before

Reactions: RoarinRow

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Brakes are easy. I just changed the front hubs on thecopcar last week. The pads and rotors were great. Only took me two hours to do both sides.

Attachments

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Brakes are easy. I just changed the front hubs on thecopcar last week. The pads and rotors were great. Only took me two hours to do both sides.
Did the front hubs on my old 99 Grand Cherokee. Three pound hammer came in handy. Part of me wants to do them on the 14 Sierra now, before they even more difficult to remove. But if I did everything I was thinking, I'd be broke. I'll play it by ear and see what they look like when I'm there swapping rotors and pads

Reactions: Sparksalot

MegaBug

Rank VII
Launch Member

Influencer II

Colwood, BC, Canada
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Lester
Member #

A fishing license, an annual Park pass and some gas. Sometimes we lose sight of the fact that the ”things” just facilitate the adventure, experiences and ultimately, treasured memories.
Just sayin'

Reactions: velo47

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Yes, sir. I had blood there and on the back of my hand by the time it was all over. By the steering column rear turned out to be worse than the passenger rear for me, but they both sucked.

Unreal how you have to remove the oil fill cap and dipstick, and the PCV connection, so you can remove a BS plastic cover, so you can see and reach the components you need to change. My GMT400 big Blazer required none of that. It's one thing to remove things of consequence because they are on top of other things of consequence, but it was literally just a plastic cover that dresses the engine up.

Then the bleeding began. I wanted to do the hard ones first so I could zip through the finish easy
It’s not hard to get your Technician/General class licenses. And yes Ham is a lot of fun... I really enjoy playing on the bands late at night making LSSB DX contacts on lower HF bands.