What is the last thing you bought and plan to buy?

• HTML tutorial

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
Yeah the tent is a PITA for sure. But it's paid for and the only time we will need it is when we are staying put. My wife and I are very budget minded, so even though I would love a Gazzel tent we will wait. The Ozark tent has been all we need until it's destroyed from use. When we overland we don't use a tent anyways.
The Gazelle tents are cool (I've seen them up close), but when folded, they are almost six feet long! That won't fit in my trailer or my Jeep.

4 PERSON GAZELLE T4 HUB TENT ORANGE Collapsed: 8” x 8” x 67.5”

Last edited:

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
The Gazelle tents are cool (I've seen them up close), but when folded, they are almost six feet long! That won't fit in my trailer or my Jeep.

4 PERSON GAZELLE T4 HUB TENT ORANGE Collapsed: 8” x 8” x 67.5”
Yup, that's a roof rack item for anyone with a SUV or pick up rack. I'd buy a T4 except I would need a crane to get it on my roof or a gorilla to put it in my LRD2.

Last edited:

TOMB

Local Expert Central Valley CA

Explorer I

Clovis Ca
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Butler
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6STB
Last thing I bought was a snorkel and pre-cleamer. Mainly trying to keep the air filter clean. On the last two Death Valley trips my check engine light came on due to the air filter getting clogged and IAT sensor getting dirty. Also, changed spakplugs and wires. The pre-cleaner is not shown in picture, my plan is to only use it while off road.

Attachments

Last edited:

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Last thing I bought was a snorkel and pre-cleamer. Mainly trying to keep the air filter clean. On the last two Death Valley trips my check engine light came on due to the air filter getting clogged and IAT sensor getting dirty. Also, changed spakplugs and wires. The pre-cleaner is not shown n picture, my plan is to only use it while off road.
I'm not at that point yet but down the road I want one just for the cleaner air. I wont be going fishing in my rig for sure. I don't know if I'm brave enough to be cutting holes in my fenders but the videos make it look easy enough if you hold your tongue right.

Reactions: TOMB

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Last thing I bought was a snorkel and pre-cleamer. Mainly trying to keep the air filter clean. On the last two Death Valley trips my check engine light came on due to the air filter getting clogged and IAT sensor getting dirty. Also, changed spakplugs and wires. The pre-cleaner is not shown in picture, my plan is to only use it while off road.
By pre cleaner do you mean the cyclonic head or do you mean the unifilter droopies that go in the snorkel head? I run unifilter droopies on the head and a k&n in the air box my k&n never sees dirt thanks to droopies and if you carry multiple you can just switch em out when they start clogging. This is a droopie if you dont know.
15820461148581009273512.jpg

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I just got my skids in and should have a pedal commander later today. My midwest overland industries bumper supposed to arrive tomorrow, rock slider thursday, new headlight housings friday, a new grill the 25th and a mad dash to install it all the 29th to make the uor show on the 1st.
20200218_111306.jpg

Poniard

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Apple Valley, Utah, United States
First Name
Lawrence
Last Name
Abbott
Member #

Nice another colorado ready for scuba. Dont forget to seal all of your electronics. I used marine amazing goop for mine but regular silicone would be fine also run all diff,trans, fuel tranfer case vents into the airbox.
Mainly for dust on the trail. I have a predicted coming. My air box gets pretty dirty so this was recommended to me. Besides, I like cutting up a perfectly fine truck whenever there’s an excuse to do so. Will look at waterproofing and vent mods you noted. Didn’t consider that. Thanks!

Reactions: M Rose

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Mainly for dust on the trail. I have a predicted coming. My air box gets pretty dirty so this was recommended to me. Besides, I like cutting up a perfectly fine truck whenever there’s an excuse to do so. Will look at waterproofing and vent mods you noted. Didn’t consider that. Thanks!
Its only required if your doing heavy water crossings a quick shot through water youd be fine at most youd need to change fluids after. Look into pre filters the snorkel will suck a little less dust not much though, you will however be trading sucking in dust for bugs and leaves. my wife even managed to knick a bird, there were some feathers in the droopie filter last time i swapped em out and lots of sand from our thanksgiving beach trip. If you do go the rout of sealing everything up dont forget to seal the dipsticks too, i use t rex tape and some plastic bag when i know ill be doing crossings the rest of the time i leave the dipsticks open playdough or even better sillyputty also works in a pinch.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

On my to-do list. Just not confident on how I'm gonna wire from engine bay to second battery in the bed of the truck.
Run the wires on the inside of the frame rails. There are zip tie mounts with 3m tape for just the occasion. I wouldnt run in the frame because you could chafe a wire and have a short.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Run the wires on the inside of the frame rails. There are zip tie mounts with 3m tape for just the occasion. I wouldnt run in the frame because you could chafe a wire and have a short.
Any exterior wire should be incased in a flexible plastic like tube wrap. The one that looks like a wrinkled worm.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I"ll have to ping you when I'm ready to pull the trigger. :)

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Any exterior wire should be incased in a flexible plastic like tube wrap. The one that looks like a wrinkled worm.
You dont really have to for quality 000 to 4 gauge there is plenty of insulation especially if you are wise about where and how you run them unless there is high heat or a moving part i wouldnt bother. 6 to 18 gauge id put the corrugated plastic on them for sure anywhere they are going just for the added wire managment aspect its never ok to see a rats nest of wiring. With high voltage wires like to the battery id prefer to be able to visually inspect them quick and easily, that corrugated loom stuff also holds dirt and mud like you wouldnt believe. If i absolutely had to have extra insulation on a larger wire id use some thick heat shrink tubing on it though that can get a little expensive.

pnwexplorer

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Olympia, WA
First Name
Hannah
Last Name
Lee
Member #

i use these and they work great. i had looked at rotopax and i saw numerous reviews complaining how they swell up heating up in the sun and don't vent, etc. i never used the rotopax, but seeing bad reviews with the high price made me just go with the regular metal nato jerry cans and they have been great so far

Thanks, I'll check that out.