What is the last thing you bought and plan to buy?

• HTML tutorial

12C20

Rank V
Launch Member

Trail Mechanic II

South Jordan, Salt Lake County, Utah, United States
First Name
John
Last Name
Ellis
Member #

You guys are both very close!

So, here’s an easy way to figure out overall tire diameter:

The first number, in this case, is 315. 315 is referring to the actual WIDTH of the tire, measured in millimeters. Many think it’s referencing diameter, but it’s not.

The second number, 70, is actually an aspect ratio, in percentages, of the width of the tire. The 70 aspect ratio is the SIDEWALL HEIGHT of the tire. Now remember, there’s two sidewall heights, the height between your wheel and the ground, and the height from the top of the wheel to top of tire.

To convert to inches, divide the 315 by 25.4(25.4mm’s to an inch), and you get 12.4”. That’s the width of the tire.

Now the sidewall height is the 70 aspect ratio so take 12.4 x .70 and you get 8.68”. Remember, two sidewall heights so multiply 8.68 x 2 and you get 17.36”.

Now all you need to do to get TOTAL overall diameter is add in the wheel diameter, 17 in this case, and you end up with 34.36”!

Kind of easy? Lol I learned that years ago with performance cars when you were always trying to go with bigger wheels and lower profile tires, but still keep overall diameter the same. It’s definitely very helpful!
Thank you for saving me from clarifying that!

Excellent explanation...

Reactions: sabjku

dygituljunky

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Tucker, GA, USA
First Name
Bill
Last Name
W
Member #

Last thing: two GSI outdoors nForm pot handles so I have a handle for all three pots in the set. The set I have comes with one handle for three pots for weight saving.

Next thing: at least one Makita ADP05 - LXT to USB adapter to charge my phones and other devices from my Makita batteries.

Magic Mike

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Ambassador
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps
Anyone thats building a tundra check this guy out! Super good price for all he’s including!!!!

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I’d like to get an updated suspension. It’s stock from what I can tell. It’s fine on the road. Off-road not sure what she can do.

Reactions: roots66

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

Decided to go a slightly different route and add a RTT to the Jeep, vs. having to take the trailer for that setup.

Ordered a Freespirit Recreation Asventure Series hardshell power top tent. And picked up a Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform with Backbone system roof rack.

Totally excited to see how different setup will be with the power hardshell FSR tent.

Started building the platform of the rack. Tent should be here next week.

IMG_2792.JPG

58240003368__8E5F92D3-87F3-487C-8094-4C8D33DA1EE1.JPG

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Decided to go a slightly different route and add a RTT to the Jeep, vs. having to take the trailer for that setup.

Ordered a Freespirit Recreation Asventure Series hardshell power top tent. And picked up a Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform with Backbone system roof rack.

Totally excited to see how different setup will be with the power hardshell FSR tent.

View attachment 104396

View attachment 104397
That’s gonna be sweet!

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE

View attachment 104396

View attachment 104397
Not for the aged like me but I can see it for you youngins !

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Thanks! I’m hoping so! I’ve been admiring that tent for quite awhile.
On your profile picture it looks like you already have an RTT. If so I think the biggest advantage to having a RTT is not having to drag the trailer everywhere you go. That has to be somewhat of a hassle. I have 13' Scamp and know how much trouble it is to pull over a lot of utility roads. In fact I wont pull it over many trails anyway. I leave it and the Ford Escape at home and take my LRD2 for the bad road situations and then sleep in a tent with a cot.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307

Just ordered them...A great price, AND it came with a bag AND the tethers. I could not buy or make some tethers for the included price. They have Olive Green also at this price. The other colors are about $5-10 more. STILL A DEAL over other offerings. The other great point was the material selection. VIRGIN plastic and nylon over recycled plastic/nylon. A stronger material, as others have posted on here. The picture of the forklift abuse bridging them as a ramp, sealed the deal. That is a very heavy forklift, with narrow tires, that exert some serious PSI pressure. The 1 year warrany was not bad either. This pretty much completes my extensive 'Recovery Kit'. EBAY: $69.00

Next and last?????, a Factor 55 pro XL, to replace my Smitybilt 17,500 winch hook.

Last edited:

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

On your profile picture it looks like you already have an RTT. If so I think the biggest advantage to having a RTT is not having to drag the trailer everywhere you go. That has to be somewhat of a hassle. I have 13' Scamp and know how much trouble it is to pull over a lot of utility roads. In fact I wont pull it over many trails anyway. I leave it and the Ford Escape at home and take my LRD2 for the bad road situations and then sleep in a tent with a cot.
I do have a Tepui on top of my trailer. And you're absolutely correct when it comes to pulling the trailer. My goal with the Pioneer rack and FSR Tent was to have a RTT still, but on my Jeep, and one that was super easy to set up and take down so if I wanted to break camp and venture off it would still be real easy to do.

How do you like your Scamp? I love those little trailers!

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I do have a Tepui on top of my trailer. And you're absolutely correct when it comes to pulling the trailer. My goal with the Pioneer rack and FSR Tent was to have a RTT still, but on my Jeep, and one that was super easy to set up and take down so if I wanted to break camp and venture off it would still be real easy to do.

How do you like your Scamp? I love those little trailers!
Well it's old and ugly (1976) and I'm working on it. Just put new tires, new exterior electrical, fixed a gas line leak, serviced the inner and outer wheel bearings and ordered a few things from scamp that the sun has baked and cracked.
The interior is all original and everything works, the w/h, gas range, electrical,3-way ref etc.. The floors are sound and I'll be putting down some wood laminate to take the place of an old old carpet. Someone at some point removed the front bunk beds and I want to make that a two person dining area and place to use my PC, because I want to leave the bed down all the time. It has an exterior shower That I replace the fixtures recently. It has a porta potty and I have a privacy tent for the outside shower. It just needs some spit and polish and will look okay. It matches my patina old and worn but not worn out yet. Thanks for asking, Yes I love the little girl but haven't used her in 8-9 years. I will be using her a lot now since 2 of my older kids have moved in, I'm going to move out. I'm too old to live with anyone these days. Hard times have pushed them back home.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
View attachment 104451
Well it's old and ugly (1976) and I'm working on it. Just put new tires, new exterior electrical, fixed a gas line leak, serviced the inner and outer wheel bearings and ordered a few things from scamp that the sun has baked and cracked.
The interior is all original and everything works, the w/h, gas range, electrical,3-way ref etc.. The floors are sound and I'll be putting down some wood laminate to take the place of an old old carpet. Someone at some point removed the front bunk beds and I want to make that a two person dining area and place to use my PC, because I want to leave the bed down all the time. It has an exterior shower That I replace the fixtures recently. It has a porta potty and I have a privacy tent for the outside shower. It just needs some spit and polish and will look okay. It matches my patina old and worn but not worn out yet. Thanks for asking, Yes I love the little girl but haven't used her in 8-9 years. I will be using her a lot now since 2 of my older kids have moved in, I'm going to move out. I'm too old to live with anyone these days. Hard times have pushed them back home.
Depending on ride height, you could do a reverse shackle, to raise it like i have seen others do. Not a 'hardcore' off-road trailer, but it would allow a little more flexibility, and get you further into the back road areas. Add a tongue/hitch stabilizer for the added lift when rolling the asphalt. Think AUSTRALIAN CARAVAN. A nice overnight/weekend rig with the luxury us older members appreciate, especially in the cooler months:smilecat:

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Depending on ride height, you could do a reverse shackle, to raise it like i have seen others do. Not a 'hardcore' off-road trailer, but it would allow a little more flexibility, and get you further into the back road areas. Add a tongue/hitch stabilizer for the added lift when rolling the asphalt. Think AUSTRALIAN CARAVAN. A nice overnight/weekend rig with the luxury us older members appreciate, especially in the cooler months:smilecat:
Your right, I just asked my RV dealer to do just that. He shot me down because I don't have springs, I have a torsion bar set up that bolts the whole axel to the frame. (I never looked before) I assume I could get a welder to fab a spacer of some sort to go between the axel and the frame (sort of like a sub frame below the original frame. I am going to add shocks because it doesn't come with shocks ??? I do want to take it a little deeper into the outback, it follows really good. Is the tongue hitch you mentioned called a pental hitch , or something like that? I think they use them around here on their horse trailers.

Reactions: Desert Runner

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Anyone in NM or AZ interested in this.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Your right, I just asked my RV dealer to do just that. He shot me down because I don't have springs, I have a torsion bar set up that bolts the whole axel to the frame. (I never looked before) I assume I could get a welder to fab a spacer of some sort to go between the axel and the frame (sort of like a sub frame below the original frame. I am going to add shocks because it doesn't come with shocks ??? I do want to take it a little deeper into the outback, it follows really good. Is the tongue hitch you mentioned called a pental hitch , or something like that? I think they use them around here on their horse trailers.
These:...............
104542104543104544Rather then this more HD version for heavier trailers next. 104545You do not need that special trailer coupler that rotates horizontal/vertical, as those are basically reserved for Hard core off-road trailers to avoid extreme binding. The top 2 can be loosened for less friction when on back roads. 104546104547Below:
A Pintle hitch- military or civilian version are usually reserved for heavy loads. They are very noisy, (rattle/banging) but do allow more lateral twist before binding.104548There are multiple varients of all these types on-line.