Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
I am looking at upgrading to a Land Cruiser. I am partial to the 80 series, but knowing how poor the mpg's are, I have turned my attention to a 100 series. However, I am open to any of the LC series if they check all the right boxes. I'm wanting to retain as good of mgp's as I can and it seems either a diesel or manual option would be the way to go. Since a majority of the off-road driving I do would be classified as mild trail I don't know about any of the option available or what is a must on Since any resource for Land Cruisers seems to be blocked at work, does anyone have any insight on what to get?

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I love my 80. My question to you is, what is your budget and can you work on it?
You will be hard pressed to find one with under 250k miles. I keep mine as clean as possible and parts are getting harder to get. The 100 series are getting up there in age also. I don't like the feel of the FJ cruiser, too utilitarian.

If you don't need the room, the later 4Runners rock. I went on a week Death Valley trip and there had to be 10 4Runners in the group. I have to say, I was impressed.
The 100 series that Ive been around ride better and are 14-18 mpg if tuned properly (Based on tire size and mod's). Smaller inside and very capable. The Lexus version of everything has too much out side cladding I would damage as well as auto AC which means more expensive to repair later.

Now, I can sleep in mine if I want to and with all my mod's I average 16 mph hwy (part time kit, fresh motor, auto, gas). That's about what all the SUV's in my class get.

Hope this helps some.

Last edited:

omgsully

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Sullivan
Member #

I did a lot of research into this before I ended up with my FJ.

Long story short, a fully build 80 is the best IMO, but will require the most amount of work, and the money you "might" save, will be put into the 80. I.E. a $6,000 80 + $10k fixed/upgrades. Vs $10k 100 + $6k fixes/upgrades.

The 100 has the better engine and MPG, but it's going to cost you more to get into. As with most, by the last years of the model, so a 96, 97 80 series, or a post 1999 100 series.

Each has their own quirks and factory issues, but nothing was a deal breaker than I can remember. A 250k mile engine wouldn't scare me, but I would want it checked out and it may need some TLC.

The "slightly" rare 4runner with a v8 (2003-2009 i think) would be a good alternative to a land cruiser.

Let me know if I can help you save time on this decision, or help any further.

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
I love my 80. My question to you is, what is your budget and can you work on it?
You will be hard pressed to find one with under 250k miles. I keep mine as clean as possible and parts are getting harder to get. The 100 series are getting up there in age also. I don't like the feel of the FJ cruiser, too utilitarian.

If you don't need the room, the later 4Runners rock. I went on a week Death Valley trip and there had to be 10 4Runners in the group. I have to say, I was impressed.
The 100 series that Ive been around ride better and are 14-18 mpg if tuned properly (Based on tire size and mod's). Smaller inside and very capable. The Lexus version of everything has too much out side cladding I would damage as well as auto AC which means more expensive to repair later.

Now, I can sleep in mine if I want to and with all my mod's I average 16 mph hwy (part time kit, fresh motor, auto, gas). That's about what all the SUV's in my class get.

Hope this helps some.
Part time kit??? Do tell! I currently average around 16 in my 2004 Jeep WJ with a 4.7. I am beginning to realize that I am hard pressed to get into anything else that gets much better mpg, but the reliability and longevity factors are my main concern as the 4.7 has some issues that are exasperated by poor maintenance and abuse. My misfortunes are unfortunately due to the previous owners mistakes. The extra room isn't so much a necessity, but a nice perk at this point. I'd like to be able to haul all 3 kiddos and dogs, so the third row in any LC or the equipped 4Runners are on my radar. If I could maintain some sense of the same mpg's with the same or better space, and the reliability/longevity factors included, I'm all set. My budget isn't a major concern at this point as I am maybe a year out from purchasing. I can and intend on working on it. I only let my mechanic handle the stuff I can't do or the stuff I'm not comfortable doing.

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

Long story short, a fully build 80 is the best IMO, but will require the most amount of work, and the money you "might" save, will be put into the 80. I.E. a $6,000 80 + $10k fixed/upgrades. Vs $10k 100 + $6k fixes/upgrades.

The 100 has the better engine and MPG, but it's going to cost you more to get into. As with most, by the last years of the model, so a 96, 97 80 series, or a post 1999 100 series.

Each has their own quirks and factory issues, but nothing was a deal breaker than I can remember. A 250k mile engine wouldn't scare me, but I would want it checked out and it may need some TLC.

The "slightly" rare 4runner with a v8 (2003-2009 i think) would be a good alternative to a land cruiser.

I thought V8 4runners were AWD only? I could be wrong..

adventure_is_necessary

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA

Work doesn't really scare me. Especially now that I have a commuter car. I don't mind the rig being down for a period of time in my garage or at my mechanic. A good portion of my local overlanding group runs Toyota's (5th gen 4runners, 80's, and 100's) so I bet they would be willing to lend a hand if beer and pizzas were provided. I guess the biggest issue I'm having is picking the model that would suit my need and what add-ins from the factory that I want and what is considered "good" versus the bad. I made some mistakes when I got into my current rig based on a lack of knowledge on the model and different configurations.

diabetiktaco

Launch Member

Explorer I

First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

Work doesn't really scare me. Especially now that I have a commuter car. I don't mind the rig being down for a period of time in my garage or at my mechanic. A good portion of my local overlanding group runs Toyota's (5th gen 4runners, 80's, and 100's) so I bet they would be willing to lend a hand if beer and pizzas were provided. I guess the biggest issue I'm having is picking the model that would suit my need and what add-ins from the factory that I want and what is considered "good" versus the bad. I made some mistakes when I got into my current rig based on a lack of knowledge on the model and different configurations.
I don't see how you could go wrong w/ any tacoma, 4runner, or land cruiser. The FJ is too small for me. I've got the back of the tacoma packed and I've turned to the roof for more storage. I can't see how the FJ would make life easier other than it's superior off road to the tacoma.

adventure_is_necessary

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
I don't see how you could go wrong w/ any tacoma, 4runner, or land cruiser. The FJ is too small for me. I've got the back of the tacoma packed and I've turned to the roof for more storage. I can't see how the FJ would make life easier other than it's superior off road to the tacoma.
I've strongly considered a Taco in the past until I spent 10 days loaded in my WJ with 2 kiddos and 2 dogs. Nowhere near enough room if we added our third kiddo and her big dog. That third row would help in a LC or a 4runner for sure! plus the cargo space without the third row dwarfs that of the WJ.

omgsully

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Sullivan
Member #

I hear you. The FJ was perfect for me as I wanted a shorter wheelbase and don't have kids. If my FJ is full, it means I brought too much stuff.

adventure_is_necessary

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
100 series Land Cruiser are full time 4WD, as is the V8 4runner, and manual transmission FJ Cruiser.
Full-time 4wd doesn't scare me. I'd prefer part-time mainly for the wear and tear aspect as most modern full-time systems seem to mimic part-time MPG.

adventure_is_necessary

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
I hear you. The FJ was perfect for me as I wanted a shorter wheelbase and don't have kids. If my FJ is full, it means I brought too much stuff.
When I was a single man with my dog, we would have loved the FJ. Honestly, I have considered cramming the kiddos in the back of one for a test drive, but I already know how that will end up. Still a cool rig nonetheless. I met a few FJ operators at OXW. Very capable. However, they said the same about my WJ.

omgsully

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Sullivan
Member #

Honestly, you should be fine with any of those options. (100, 80, tacoma, 4runner)

Just find something with less fancy things, and then less things can break. The simpler, the better.

If a couple can drive from Canada, all over South America, and back in a 1990 toyota, you should be ok.

adventure_is_necessary

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Honestly, you should be fine with any of those options. (100, 80, tacoma, 4runner)

Just find something with less fancy things, and then less things can break. The simpler, the better.

If a couple can drive from Canada, all over South America, and back in a 1990 toyota, you should be ok.
I like simple. an 80 would fit the bill there. Simple, reliable, and the possibility of semi-decent mpg's if I can figure out that part-time kit. If not, then oh well! Maybe I should hold out for a diesel 80?

diabetiktaco

Launch Member

Explorer I

First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

I've strongly considered a Taco in the past until I spent 10 days loaded in my WJ with 2 kiddos and 2 dogs. Nowhere near enough room if we added our third kiddo and her big dog. That third row would help in a LC or a 4runner for sure! plus the cargo space without the third row dwarfs that of the WJ.
True. I had my daughter and her friend this weekend. They're 8 and her friend is as small as they come. I had to move my front seat up for her which was annoying. Tundra time..

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Part time kit??? Do tell! I currently average around 16 in my 2004 Jeep WJ with a 4.7.
Part time kit is a mod to the transfercase and locking hubs. AWD is great if you live in a place that actually has weather. I don't so losing it was more of a benefit. Now I'm 2wd until I engage the transfer case and lock the hubs. Steering is way easier now and my mileage increased due to less drive line load. My cruiser with 35's, 3" lift, armor would use 19 gal's (ish) to get to my sisters house 260 miles away. Depending on variables 12-13 mpg. Part time and fresh motor 14-15 gals (ish) around 17 mpg.
I just lifted it a couple of more inchs, going to see how much it drop's or not.

Horse Soldier

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Louisville Ky
First Name
B
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I was torn on the right landcruiser for me also, my solution was the 80 series turbo diesel that I ordered from Australia. The wife and I were on vacation in western Australia and came across it. It will be state side some.

adventure_is_necessary

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
I was torn on the right landcruiser for me also, my solution was the 80 series turbo diesel that I ordered from Australia. The wife and I were on vacation in western Australia and came across it. It will be state side some.
My concern with an imported rig is mainly the availability of parts should anything go wrong. I haven't devoted much time into looking at the diesels for that reason. It is on my radar, but I do need to research what the differences are to make sure I can repair it.