Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

USA
First Name
Lou
Last Name
N/A
Out of curiosity, what diameter of logs are people processing for firewood (when camping) that require an axe to split them? How are you cutting the logs into sections beforehand?
See photo in post #11

In AZ, if it's dead, or dead and down, regardless of size, it's fair game.

The Roach ...

Rank IV

Member III

Frisco, TX, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
V
Member #

Axe, vintage "Jeep" shovel, both with oak handles over 60 years old... bring a wedge, and a 5lbs mini-sledge.

I've used the axe to chop trees, roots, break up soil etc.. the Jeep shovel moves more dirt than a D9 Doser in the right hands. the wedge and mini are for splitting wood. these are the benefits of running a full size truck. and they are all stored inside the bed, under the cover.

one thing I have yet to hear people comment on is GLOVES...

Reactions: Outdoordog

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

I have probably 4 pair of beige leather work gloves in my truck. One of them (the Klein Tools one) is lined for the winter.

Also, I keep a couple pair of warm winter gloves.

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
@slomatt up here in BC on the coast 18 to 24 inch rounds are pretty commonly found, cedar if you find it will split with an axe with almost zero effort. I use my Fisker spitting axe on the big stuff, that get's it manageable then the regular axe to get it smaller. 1 good sized round will keep me all night and the next morning

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
one thing I have yet to hear people comment on is GLOVES...
That is what callouses are for.

Seriously.

I have gloves. Quite a number of pair for different tasks. And I am pretty picky about some of those glove/task combinations. And I don't like gloves with a swinging tool (axe, maul, sledge, singlejack, hammer...). Gloves interfere with a good grip, proper control and proper feedback from the tool. So I have callouses.

Maybe that makes me one of the elite...

Yeah. Right.

The Roach ...

Rank IV

Member III

Frisco, TX, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
V
Member #

Seriously.

I have gloves. Quite a number of pair for different tasks. And I am pretty picky about some of those glove/task combinations. And I don't like gloves with a swinging tool (axe, maul, sledge, singlejack, hammer...). Gloves interfere with a good grip, proper control and proper feedback from the tool. So I have callouses.

Yeah. Right.
I go both ways when it comes to gloves. and my hands are like stones. lol. but I do prefer to wear truckers gloves when I work a shovel or pull brush.

Reactions: Anak and cheeny

Dlnuckolls

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger I

Shepherdsville, KY, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Nuckolls
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4WHV
I go both ways when it comes to gloves. and my hands are like stones. lol. but I do prefer to wear truckers gloves when I work a shovel or pull brush.
Yep.

Those are situations where gloves make sense. Especially brush.
Gloves have a great many uses. They also serve well as hotpads!

Reactions: The Roach ...

Mathes

Local Expert Massachusetts, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Norton, Massachusetts, USA
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Robinson
Member #

Seriously.

Yeah. Right.
I always feel like I'm gonna send my axe flying when I use gloves. But I also have pretty strong hands for using pliers everyday for the last 5 years

The Roach ...

Rank IV

Member III

Frisco, TX, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
V
Member #

I always feel like I'm gonna send my axe flying when I use gloves. But I also have pretty strong hands for using pliers everyday for the last 5 years
I use truckers gloves that I buy one size too small. that I soak in water then put them on and stretch them to fit... and then work them so they dry. after that... they stick to anything.

Reactions: Mekcanix

OutdoorsBen

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Western Massachusetts
Member #

I use a Tomahawk over an Axe. An Axe is the better chopper however IMO the Tomahawk is more versatile. I can take the head off for shaving and can even use it as an ulu if I wanted. It's got a hammer pole on the back so no problem with tent stakes. I also bring a silky big boy for cutting wood as a saw is more efficient than an axe for cutting.

The Roach ...

Rank IV

Member III

Frisco, TX, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
V
Member #

I use a Tomahawk over an Axe. An Axe is the better chopper however IMO the Tomahawk is more versatile. I can take the head off for shaving and can even use it as an ulu if I wanted. It's got a hammer pole on the back so no problem with tent stakes. I also bring a silky big boy for cutting wood as a saw is more efficient than an axe for cutting.
Tomahawk is a better combat weapon... but there are a few combo axes marketed as tomahawks. but a modern hawk should be out of d2 tool steel or better. I had a handle shatter once on one that wasn't... be careful