What is a good external ham antenna for BaoFeng handeld?

• HTML tutorial

redquatquat

Rank V
Investor

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Emmanuel
Last Name
B
Member #

During my last trip I got way too much static while in the car, have have a BaoFeng BF-F8HP handled. What would be a good external antenna to mount on the roof rack?

And does the coax cable length will impact negatively the quality of transmission?

Thanks

KF0APA

Rank VI

Trail Mechanic I

Lebanon, MO, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Bryson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0APA
I have this one mounted on my Yukon with a lip mount on the hood. You'll also need a n adapter to go from the Pl-259 to the correct connection for your radio.

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
There are losses with any coax cable. The better the quality and match, the less the loss. Even with the loss, the antenna gain will more than make up for it.

I would run RG316 coax. The antenna above looks good. Ideally, mount it to a good grounded bracket , ideally mount it in the center of the rack.

Reactions: redquatquat

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I bought the 21-Inch Magnetic Mount VHF/UHF (144/430Mhz) Antenna for BTECH and BaoFeng Radios, though not sure that link leads directly to it anymore.

You can search amzn for "Authentic Genuine Nagoya UT-308UV 21-Inch Magnetic Mount VHF/UHF (144/430Mhz) Antenna SMA-Female for BTECH and BaoFeng Radios"

Also really handy is the
BL-5 Battery Eliminator that allows you to supply power to the BF-F8 and UV-5R series BaoFeng radios directly from your car when needed, and the Extended True Capacity Battery when away from the vehicle.

edit:

There was a guy on expeditionportal that was making and selling these brackets for Baofeng radios a while back, for installing on your dash or wherever:

radiobrackets_9737.JPG

No idea if he still is, though if I run across them again I'll try to remember to update this post or add another.

I have the two in this image, and it fits the radio nicely, though have never really used them, or the radios (I have two), antenna, and accessories. To be honest, just never really needed them, as I usually wander solo and have other coms for emergencies.

Last edited:

LostInThought

Rank VI

Influencer I

Dripping Springs, Texas, United States
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Kprotected
Member #

During my last trip I got way too much static while in the car, have have a BaoFeng BF-F8HP handled. What would be a good external antenna to mount on the roof rack?

And does the coax cable length will impact negatively the quality of transmission?

Thanks
I paired my BF-F8HP with a magmount Diamond MR77SMA and I was pretty happy with the results.

Be aware that whatever you buy, you'll also need an SMA-to-SMA adapter too (the BF's idea of an appropriate antenna-jack connector is the opposite gender from the rest of the world). These are easiest to find in small sets, typically for ~$10

Reactions: redquatquat

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army

Thanks
I put a 15.6" Nagoya NA-771 antenna on mine, no static and good range, still portable.

Reactions: Nivar3

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

For those who are interested in Baofeng radios, I'm selling my Baofeng Handheld with a bunch of extras; all brand new, never used or installed, except for the antenna.

Listed here.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
A cable will be anywhere from 12 to 17 feet, and no big deal.

style of antenna will depend where you can mount it and what overhead obstacles you may encounter. I change mine depending on the Trip and terrain.

The center roof antenna in the first pic broke due to parking garages. It was a dual band vhf/uhf piece.

the second pic shows my current setup. The short stubby on the right is also a dual band, and gets used for gmrs as well. The SWR was acceptable for both uses. The center roof antenna is a quarter wave vhf whip. The rear antenna is for 10 meters and can double for cb.

last pic was a road trip to Utah and Wyoming. Wide open terrain and long distances to reach anyone, so the stubby was changed out.

5F507FA6-1340-42B0-ABF6-C031FEB61E74.jpeg224AD8A1-BE14-4426-9B4E-F0A3AC8118AE.jpegCC5F0788-8F3A-447F-A4CB-4367078803A8.jpeg