Launch Member

Member III

Warren, New Hampshire, United States
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Seaverson
Member #

Ok, I use the Plano's also. I have a Yakima LoadWarror roof rack for now and they fit nicely.

Maybe this should be the start of a different thread, and if the admins move it - fine with me, but what are you all using to secure your gear to your roof racks with? Of course I'm sure we all are using ratcheting tie-downs, but I hate messing around with them especially in poor weather and so does everyone I know! I would love to see examples of more compact units that don't have straps tangling up and winding up incorrectly into the spool of the ratchet, twist up and flap all around etc. I work in construction and use a variety of these guys, so am not a total newbie to them, but I just imagine there has to be a better solution out there these days. What do you use? Please include pics and any product info you can!!! I really like the idea of the Kanulock straps, but wonder how well they will work with gear boxes etc. instead of surfboards, kayaks and SUPs? I saw that one member uses them - anyone else? What length?
Personally I use a Roof Net from Raingler to secure stuff on top of my drop in roof basket for my Xterra. The good news is they have vehicle specific nets or they do custom jobs it you have something specific in mind.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Nicely done. That's quite the upgrade!

Pelican or Hardigg med boxes do the work for me -- stackable, water/dust proof, wheeled, double as camp furniture. One con is they tend to be heavy.
View attachment 39140
Where would one acquire these containers ?

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I travel real light, a weeks worth of clothes, hikers, runner, sandals, food for a week, a book, a headlamp.
And a visit to the laundramat, grocery and beer store if longer than a week.

4 open tubs for all the clothing, toiletries etc.
A Kooltron Cooler for refrigeration and an old cooler for a dry box.
Plus all the daily items behind the board on the counter.

DSCN1466 2.jpg

Rolando

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Lovettsville, VA
First Name
Roland
Last Name
Woldt
Member #

I went with stack and latch tool boxes. They tie down easy. And stack up tall and out of the way in storage. View attachment 121662
I am using the Ridgid box set as well - the medium size the you have and the smaller size with the inserts (for spices, and small stuff like lighters).

I like that they are interlocking and can be stacked. Since they are mostly under the tonneau cover of the truck dust proofness (is that a word?) was more important to me than being waterproof (which I am confident that they are that as well). They are also super-solid.

I might buy the open crates in the future since they might be useful for just throwing stuff in (e.g when grocery shopping). So I get double use from them when not traveling.

Reactions: Shahn

murps

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
d
Last Name
m
Member #

Personally i use the 1819 Plano. Low profile and has wheels. Plenty of storage for all my camping gear.

BUT......Pelican's new line looks pretty great too!

murps

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
d
Last Name
m
Member #

The Plano box is $25. The equivalent Pelican box is $300. Lol.
Oh I agree! Just wanted to float another option for brand loyalists and people with money to buy such things. It's the mounts that set this line of products apart from the rest, however, I've got some cases i've jimmy rigged to mount and detach as needed for much less.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Oh I agree! Just wanted to float another option for brand loyalists and people with money to buy such things. It's the mounts that set this line of products apart from the rest, however, I've got some cases i've jimmy rigged to mount and detach as needed for much less.
It would be nice if we could all afford the best. It isn't just the cases, it's just about everything starting with our rigs. I like to see all the options even the expensive ones in case I ever get rich. I don't like going to the expos though.
You can only get so green with envy before your in bankruptcy court. So expos are out for me. I'd rather find out in the field what people buy and use. For some reason I'm not as envious when I see people using their stuff as I am at expo. I do like down to earth products immensely.

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
I have been using Plano cases for probably 4-5 years now. have held up great. Before them I just used whatever Rubbermaid and old toolboxes I had laying around...

BizzyB

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Englewood, CO 80112, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Baecker
Member #

Ok, I use the Plano's also. I have a Yakima LoadWarror roof rack for now and they fit nicely.

Maybe this should be the start of a different thread, and if the admins move it - fine with me, but what are you all using to secure your gear to your roof racks with? Of course I'm sure we all are using ratcheting tie-downs, but I hate messing around with them especially in poor weather and so does everyone I know! I would love to see examples of more compact units that don't have straps tangling up and winding up incorrectly into the spool of the ratchet, twist up and flap all around etc. I work in construction and use a variety of these guys, so am not a total newbie to them, but I just imagine there has to be a better solution out there these days. What do you use? Please include pics and any product info you can!!! I really like the idea of the Kanulock straps, but wonder how well they will work with gear boxes etc. instead of surfboards, kayaks and SUPs? I saw that one member uses them - anyone else? What length?
I know this is an older post but have you tried Nite Ize Cam Jam tie down straps? I have them and they work great. Come in a few different lengths. They connect back to themselves so keep in mind you'll need longer than you would a ratchet straps with hooks. Here's an Amazon link but you can also find them at most outdoor retailers.

Raw Xpedition

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Vidor Texas
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Prisock
Member #

Figured id share how we haul around our camping gear when we are just using the Rig only. We use one of the Roam Adventure co. 95l storage boxes for random parts and recovery gear. We also 2 Milwaukee Packout cases utilizing the new mount system to lock them on the Roof rack. no straps needed.
IMG_20191126_075247.jpgIMG_20191126_075223.jpg
IMG_20191126_103043.jpg
IMG_20191128_221442.jpg
00000IMG_00000_BURST20190928112355697_COVER.jpg00000IMG_00000_BURST20190928112442719_COVER.jpg
00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190928112411400_COVER.jpg

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Figured id share how we haul around our camping gear when we are just using the Rig only. We use one of the Roam Adventure co. 95l storage boxes for random parts and recovery gear. We also 2 Milwaukee Packout cases utilizing the new mount system to lock them on the Roof rack. no straps needed.
View attachment 147706View attachment 147705
View attachment 147707
View attachment 147709
View attachment 147711View attachment 147712
View attachment 147713
Very neatly packed. I like.

Reactions: Raw Xpedition

JersT4R

Rank V
Investor

Traveler III

Norfolk, VA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Bailey
Member #

View attachment 147706View attachment 147705
View attachment 147707
View attachment 147709
View attachment 147711View attachment 147712
View attachment 147713
Yeah, I like how the Milwaukee mount system uses no straps. Much easier than using my Plano trunks on my Yakima basket.