Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I can show you better than I can write about the Goodyear Wrangler Ultraterrain AT tire. It is not even close to what you describe here. This tire is a beast, so aggressive there is no mileage warranty. You are right about it being a new tire on the market and only Discount tire sells them. I'm not sure of the sidewall ply, I was told it was 3 ply but I cant find the info in the sales literature anywhere. The salesman told me that 3 ply was exceptional to any Radial a/t tire. Most are 2 ply. Standard non radials may be as high as 10 ply.
It should say on the sidewall somewhere what ply they are

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
It should say on the sidewall somewhere what ply they are
I finally got them mounted a couple of weeks ago and also got my steel bumper put on too. I haven't even been outside in over two weeks to look at it since I can hardly walk that far anymore. The tires do look fantastic on the rig and for what I will be doing they are all I will ever need.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Any brand name All Season is a pretty safe bet.

For most uses, as the OP states excluding mud and rocks, skinny rules. Light as in low unsprung weight rules. Go too big, too wide, too heavy, or to "LT Floatation" and the overall performance falls off. Floatation is only good where yo need floatation, like desert sand..... altho I'd rank desert sand in with rocks and mud and say on average no one needs floatation.

I'm an old guy, my first 4x4 was an M38 is Grade 11, 1971. I've done it all since then, always owned a 4x4. Over the past 5 years I've been downgrading the mods..... which I have discovered is actually an upgrade from all the stupid mods I've done over the previous 40 years.

From 35s I am now down to 31s, 7.50R16s. 12 pounds lighter than the 35s. And way better performance. I can hit standing water or slush at 70mph and not even notice it.... in a Wrangler. II gained 5mpg adding 95miles between my gas stops. I no longer slow or steer to dodge potholes, washboard. Light unsprung weight rules for comfortable overland travel.

The list of plusses to skinny pizza cutters is limitless. Even plowing thru deep snow I have far better control, at times I even have to wait for guys running floatation tire sizes to catch up. Good tires, brand names for sure, mileage guarantees are nice, price,,,, $$$ rule. My old BFGs lasted 75K kms. These skinny things have a 100K kms warranty plus they saved me 30%. So my tire costs are cut in half. I had that ego that told me you must get 33s, 35s, MTs, ..... all marketing hype. They stoke yer ego and open the door to the big boys club but honestly if performance counts and you are not into mud or rocks or sand.......... look for the skinniest tall tire you can find.... with a great warranty.

DSC_0013.jpeg

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Any brand name All Season is a pretty safe bet.

For most uses, as the OP states excluding mud and rocks, skinny rules. Light as in low unsprung weight rules. Go too big, too wide, too heavy, or to "LT Floatation" and the overall performance falls off. Floatation is only good where yo need floatation, like desert sand..... altho I'd rank desert sand in with rocks and mud and say on average no one needs floatation.

I'm an old guy, my first 4x4 was an M38 is Grade 11, 1971. I've done it all since then, always owned a 4x4. Over the past 5 years I've been downgrading the mods..... which I have discovered is actually an upgrade from all the stupid mods I've done over the previous 40 years.

From 35s I am now down to 31s, 7.50R16s. 12 pounds lighter than the 35s. And way better performance. I can hit standing water or slush at 70mph and not even notice it.... in a Wrangler. II gained 5mpg adding 95miles between my gas stops. I no longer slow or steer to dodge potholes, washboard. Light unsprung weight rules for comfortable overland travel.

The list of plusses to skinny pizza cutters is limitless. Even plowing thru deep snow I have far better control, at times I even have to wait for guys running floatation tire sizes to catch up. Good tires, brand names for sure, mileage guarantees are nice, price,,,, $$$ rule. My old BFGs lasted 75K kms. These skinny things have a 100K kms warranty plus they saved me 30%. So my tire costs are cut in half. I had that ego that told me you must get 33s, 35s, MTs, ..... all marketing hype. They stoke yer ego and open the door to the big boys club but honestly if performance counts and you are not into mud or rocks or sand.......... look for the skinniest tall tire you can find.... with a great warranty.

View attachment 142842
I personally think your jeep looks better with your new tires.

cevans2021

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler III

Edmonds, WA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Evans
Member #

I've been running Falken Wildpeak AT3 tires for the last year. Did some good camping last year summer with them on, they did great in the snow this winter as well. So far, so good. Quietest AT tire I've run on the highway, and they're wearing great so far.

iLikeDonuts

Rank 0

Contributor I

Colorado, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Waterous
The K02 is a great tire, but after seeing them on 2.5ton trucks with a 6" lift, a variety of hatchbacks and on-road utility vehicles, and the icing on the cake was a minivan I just can't bring myself to run with the herd. Let me repeat because no one here knows me or my humor yet, I know they're on that many vehicles because they're that good, not simply because monkey see, monkey do. But a minivan. A MINIVAN. A gawd dang minivan.

I currently run Falken Wildpeak's, because I wanted a C/SL load range tire. If/when I upgrade to E (once there's enough weight on the truck or we decide to start hauling a trailer behind us) I'm currently planning on moving to the General Grabber ATX.

Dbrekke27

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

1758 20th Street, Ogden, UT, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Brekke
Member #

The K02 is a great tire, but after seeing them on 2.5ton trucks with a 6" lift, a variety of hatchbacks and on-road utility vehicles, and the icing on the cake was a minivan I just can't bring myself to run with the herd. Let me repeat because no one here knows me or my humor yet, I know they're on that many vehicles because they're that good, not simply because monkey see, monkey do. But a minivan. A MINIVAN. A gawd dang minivan.

I currently run Falken Wildpeak's, because I wanted a C/SL load range tire. If/when I upgrade to E (once there's enough weight on the truck or we decide to start hauling a trailer behind us) I'm currently planning on moving to the General Grabber ATX.
. .asking a similar latitude, as you don't know me or my sense of humor, but

The atx and ko2 tread patterns could be mistaken for separated conjoined twins

iLikeDonuts

Rank 0

Contributor I

Colorado, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Waterous
. .asking a similar latitude, as you don't know me or my sense of humor, but

The atx and ko2 tread patterns could be mistaken for separated conjoined twins
It's a good tread pattern. :flushed:

Again, K02; very capable, very proven tire. The minivan ruined it for me. Also the sidewall treads on the Grabber are different so you can't mistake the two!

Dbrekke27

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

1758 20th Street, Ogden, UT, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Brekke
Member #

It's a good tread pattern. :flushed:

Again, K02; very capable, very proven tire. The minivan ruined it for me. Also the sidewall treads on the Grabber are different so you can't mistake the two!
Yessir correct. I'm mostly funnin'

Full disclosure, I've owned multiple sets of ko/ko2's, and now I'm rollin Generals (although not the atx)

I too like to buck trends, try new gear, and switch it up from time to time

iLikeDonuts

Rank 0

Contributor I

Colorado, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Waterous
Yessir correct. I'm mostly funnin'

Full disclosure, I've owned multiple sets of ko/ko2's, and now I'm rollin Generals (although not the atx)

I too like to buck trends, try new gear, and switch it up from time to time
I can't remember which one, but it was an overlanding channel on YT that originally brought the grabber's to my attention. Iirc they were provided the tires for the purposes of selling the product, but the review seemed genuine. After that I started seeing them on a few other channel rigs, in a variety of tire comparison reviews, etc. They seem to have a good reputation and it appears to be as well deserved as the K02, they just don't have the marketing power of Ford and the Raptor behind them is all.

AaronB

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Milford, Michigan
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Berendt
Member #

I've been running BFG AT on my trucks for 20+ years. I typically get about 70-80k miles out of a set. I daily drive my trucks about 100 miles to work and back. Run them on the dunes, dirt, in deep Michigan snow, basically all kinds of conditions. I swear by them. Just put a fresh set of 285/75r17 KO2 on the truck in August. Couldn't be happier.
IMG_8652.JPGIMG_8653.JPG

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Been running Duratracs for the last 3 years, on my Silverado and now my LR3. Great in all terrain and I use them driving 100 miles a day for work. Love them.
Jordan, I think you are the same Jordan who has been selling me LRD2 parts recently ON CRAIGS LIST. Have you been selling parts ?

I recently purchased 2 A pillars and a license plate cover. Nice to see you here on the OB forum. I'm sending you a private message.

Last edited: