Rank III

Enthusiast I

Norwalk, OH, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Hall
Member #

I run Nexen Roadian A/T Pro RA8’s in 33x12.5x15’s load range C. I have them on my Jeep TJ and my off-road trailer that I am currently building. Great reviews in all weather conditions. Fairly quiet. Fantastic price point. I will buy them again when needed...

Reactions: MarioT'sCJResto

smlobx

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mid Atlantic
First Name
Eddie
Last Name
Fort
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4CPL
There are a couple of things I look at when trying to choose a tire for one of our 4x4’s. Primarily durability in our heavier rigs. We have a F-350 with a 2’ lift that we haul our Hallmark Expedition camper on. The truck came with Michelin LTX’s and these are great tires but I wanted more grip so I tried the KO2’s. They only lasted about 13K miles...I have been running the Toyo AT3 and they have been great. This included a 15K trip to Alaska and back where we ran every road we could find as well as just completing a 4500K trip to Big Bend NP where we ran the Old Ore Road and spent more time in 4x4 low than anything else. I have yet to have a flat with those tires and I will be replacing them with the same this fall

On smaller rigs, like my Gladiator I think the weight of the tire also comes into play. The OEM Falcon Wildpeaks weigh 64# each which is heavy for a 285/70R17 C rated tire. The two tires I’m contemplating replacing them with are either the KO2’s or General which in the 285/75R17 E rated tires are both below 60#. Unsprung weight in a lighter rig becomes very important in how it handles when running heavy as we are building our overland vehicle.

Reactions: Kozysnack

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

There are a couple of things I look at when trying to choose a tire for one of our 4x4’s. Primarily durability in our heavier rigs. We have a F-350 with a 2’ lift that we haul our Hallmark Expedition camper on. The truck came with Michelin LTX’s and these are great tires but I wanted more grip so I tried the KO2’s. They only lasted about 13K miles...I have been running the Toyo AT3 and they have been great. This included a 15K trip to Alaska and back where we ran every road we could find as well as just completing a 4500K trip to Big Bend NP where we ran the Old Ore Road and spent more time in 4x4 low than anything else. I have yet to have a flat with those tires and I will be replacing them with the same this fall

On smaller rigs, like my Gladiator I think the weight of the tire also comes into play. The OEM Falcon Wildpeaks weigh 64# each which is heavy for a 285/70R17 C rated tire. The two tires I’m contemplating replacing them with are either the KO2’s or General which in the 285/75R17 E rated tires are both below 60#. Unsprung weight in a lighter rig becomes very important in how it handles when running heavy as we are building our overland vehicle.
On the KO2s, did you get the snow/ice rated tires or the standard KO2? The snow/ice ones are a softer compound that does not do well with loads as you saw but even 13k seems a bit quick... normally we saw around 25-30k on customers that towed a lot.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

There are a couple of things I look at when trying to choose a tire for one of our 4x4’s. Primarily durability in our heavier rigs. We have a F-350 with a 2’ lift that we haul our Hallmark Expedition camper on. The truck came with Michelin LTX’s and these are great tires but I wanted more grip so I tried the KO2’s. They only lasted about 13K miles...I have been running the Toyo AT3 and they have been great. This included a 15K trip to Alaska and back where we ran every road we could find as well as just completing a 4500K trip to Big Bend NP where we ran the Old Ore Road and spent more time in 4x4 low than anything else. I have yet to have a flat with those tires and I will be replacing them with the same this fall.

My set of KO's went for 27k because I was getting 3 more I went for them again. The jury is out with what I get next. My favorite tire is the one I take out drive the crap out out of and gets me home without any issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: smlobx

smlobx

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mid Atlantic
First Name
Eddie
Last Name
Fort
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4CPL
On the KO2s, did you get the snow/ice rated tires or the standard KO2? The snow/ice ones are a softer compound that does not do well with loads as you saw but even 13k seems a bit quick... normally we saw around 25-30k on customers that towed a lot.
I don’t remember because it was a few years ago but it was on my construction truck and we used it hard carrying and hauling heavy loads.

tslick

Rank 0

Contributor I

Yuma, AZ, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
P
Currently run Falken Wildpeak load range E. Have not had any issues and really like them. I used to always run BF Goodrich KO2's but I had a massive blowout on my right front tire on a Dodge diesel at 70mph. Tires had less than 10k miles on them. Destroyed the wheel well and the whole right side of the truck. $2,000 damage. Then they didn't want to honor the warranty. Will never buy them again.

Last edited:

MattLodi

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Reggio Emilia, RE, Italia
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Lodi
Do anyone of you tried the Hankook Dynapro AT2 or the General Grabber AT3?
Here in winter is mandatory to have winter tires (or snowchains on board) and these two are the only models, omologated for my vehicle, with the snowflake mark, are they any good?

Jgallo1

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

MT/ CA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Gallo
Member #

Here in winter is mandatory to have winter tires (or snowchains on board) and these two are the only models, omologated for my vehicle, with the snowflake mark, are they any good?
I know a lot of ranch guys run the Hankook here in Montana . They must work well.

Reactions: 12C20 and MattLodi

12C20

Rank V
Launch Member

Trail Mechanic II

South Jordan, Salt Lake County, Utah, United States
First Name
John
Last Name
Ellis
Member #

I've run Hankook Dynapros for years and have loved them. I ran them on my 2008 JKU for years, and put them on my Tacoma as soon as the dealer's tires wore out. 60,000 miles has not been unusual in my experience. Great tires.

Reactions: MattLodi

Crusader

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Texas
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Wilcox
Service Branch
USAF
An AT tire is a good place to start. BFG K02 is where many start. Road noise is OK. I've gotten 60k miles out of a set before. They are snow rated. I've heard some people complain of not enough sidewall protection, but they have a proven track record for years of good performance.

KAIONE

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Kanak
Last Name
Attack
Member #

An AT tire is a good place to start. BFG K02 is where many start. Road noise is OK. I've gotten 60k miles out of a set before. They are snow rated. I've heard some people complain of not enough sidewall protection, but they have a proven track record for years of good performance.
I worked on a Baja truck race team and that’s all we used on our chase trucks and chase vehicles. Just like you say, low road noise, great performance, a lot of teams swear by them. I have them on my 4Runner and f250. Great tires for sure.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
I put Firestone Destination XT's on my work truck. Will test out this winter.

Obviously can't put hardcore off road tires on a work truck. Although, my work truck see's more off road than most overlanders. Including my personal truck.

• Love
Reactions: Kozysnack

Leho97

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Albuquerque, NM, USA
First Name
Leo
Last Name
LaPlante
I just purchased some general grabbers. 295/70 17’s. Was go8ng to go with bfg at and changed my mind at the last second. I will let you know how they work out.

Kozysnack

Rank VII
Investor

Expedition Master I

Austin, Travis County, Texas, United States
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Ely
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRNX949 is my GMRS, haven't taken my test yet but working on the HAM
Service Branch
USAF BRAT

Old Ore Road is fun and a challenge in day light, not so much fun but way more of a challenge at night. We can't wait to go back out to Big Bend NP and the State park

Attachments