Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I've been running BFG AT on my trucks for 20+ years. I typically get about 70-80k miles out of a set. I daily drive my trucks about 100 miles to work and back. Run them on the dunes, dirt, in deep Michigan snow, basically all kinds of conditions. I swear by them. Just put a fresh set of 285/75r17 KO2 on the truck in August. Couldn't be happier.
View attachment 147168View attachment 147169
I've run BFG a/t on other vehicles and always get 60-70k miles and even then I have never worn one out.

When I started this thread I was looking for tire input from you guys. I got lots of pro and cons that was helpful.

I wanted to get Patagonia M/T but couldn't get them anywhere online as soon as I wanted them. I looked again for an equal and found them at Discount Tire online.

The tire I bought is a Goodyear Wrangler Ultra Terrain tire. They are not cheap @ $179 each for a 265/75/16 before a small discount, but I liked the looks of them and bought them for their superior rating and the fact they were almost an inch wider that the competition tires.

I haven't put any miles on them yet so I cant report anything until I do my trip to Washington for the PNW rally event, in Sept,
I've been running BFG AT on my trucks for 20+ years. I typically get about 70-80k miles out of a set. I daily drive my trucks about 100 miles to work and back. Run them on the dunes, dirt, in deep Michigan snow, basically all kinds of conditions. I swear by them. Just put a fresh set of 285/75r17 KO2 on the truck in August. Couldn't be happier.
View attachment 147168View attachment 147169
I like the K02's a lot but I like your wheels even more. Maybe with my stimulus check I can afford them. What is the brand name ? Whst is your back spacing dimension ?

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I have run Generals and BFG KO for years. I just change the last set KO2s at 27000 miles. They were my first KO2s. I swapped all 5 tires when I went to the KO2s I just purchased 3 new ones and swapped the spare. If these three + spare do the same I will not be purchase anymore KO2s. I think they went to a softer rubber, I don't know. I am very disappointed, I expect to get 40 to 45 k from those tires as I have in the past .

peeeeetey

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member II

Harrisburg, NC, USA
First Name
Pete
Last Name
Meuser
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WREL270
I like the Hankook ATM tires. I had a set of p metrics on the Tahoe and bought a set of LT of the same for the 4runner and then replaced the tires on the Tahoe with the LT rated same tires. They seem to get me anywhere I want to go and are quiet on the road. I hate hearing a Jeep or a big pickup truck passing me on the highway and leaving me with my ears ringing, Both of my vehicles are daily drivers.

peeeeetey

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member II

Harrisburg, NC, USA
First Name
Pete
Last Name
Meuser
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WREL270
Actually come to think of it I think I had a set of the pmetrics on my old 97 tahoe.

The Meyer Life

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Bay Area, CA, USA
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Meyer
Member #

We are running Wrangler Duratracs on our truck and we love them. They are pretty quiet on the highway, handle mud with ease, and do well in most situations. They tend to hold on to small rocks and they get kicked up more than tires I have used previously. Overall they are a very good tire.

Wrench Love

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Portland, OR, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Love
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N/A
I’m currently running 215/70R16 Wildpeak Trail. They have performed quite well in all conditions. Well not so much in deep the mud!

Rath

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Manitoba, Canada
First Name
Rath
Last Name
Adventures
Member #

I used to be a bfg guy. Then I tried falkens. I absolutely love them. Currently on the MT and they're amazing.

Reactions: Wrench Love

Wrench Love

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Portland, OR, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Love
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N/A
I used to be a bfg guy. Then I tried falkens. I absolutely love them. Currently on the MT and they're amazing.
i was trying to find M/T’s for my rig but didn’t have any luck in the size I needed.
215/70R16

Dbrekke27

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

1758 20th Street, Ogden, UT, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Brekke
Member #

looks like not many/any options for MT's in that size. Not very common to have small mud tires, to be honest. makes them hard to find.
Quick search show these three options for a more aggressive tread than what you've got I think, although not "mud terrains"

Attachments

Wrench Love

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Portland, OR, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Love
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N/A
Quick search show these three options for a more aggressive tread than what you've got I think, although not "mud terrains"
yeah I have ran the KO2 as well as the grabbers and truthfully not impressed with either one.

MuleMite

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Don
Last Name
Miller
Member #

Excluding extreme rock crawling or mud bogging, what tires do you thing perform the best for most on-off road conditions in all weather situations and for technical trails as well. I am about to buy 5 new tires for my LRD2 in preparation for my fall, winter, spring adventures. My trips will be in NM, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, Wyoming, Utah, Washington, and Organ. I will be on paved roads as little as possible but unfortunately I cant just go anywhere I want so whatever road is available for travel will be what I use in my wonderings.
Lanlubber Jim
I am running 265/75 R16 KO2's on my 1999 Tahoe and have no complaints. Handle pretty good on the road w/o much noise and have worked well off road when aired down to around 20lb when off road. I could probably go down farther but, so far, I have had no problems. Unless something changes, I will be going back with another set when these have done their job. Hope this helps.

Jgallo1

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

MT/ CA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Gallo
Member #

Might be a little late to the party. Maybe this will add to the confusion ha ha.

I have run Cooper at3 lt & st maxx, on Tacoma's.
My wife's 4 runner has the new Grabber at/x.
I have had Cooper at3 lt and Dick Cepek trail country exp. on my ram 2500 and a Tacoma.
Falken wildpeak at3w on a T100 (wish I never sold that truck).
BFG Ko2's on a tundra.

We are based between Bozeman and CA. I surf and do trips all through Baja and North CA. Camp all over the west / south west. My tires see it all.
I lived in coastal North Carolina when I was a teen and used to run only mud tires. One b/c I thought it was cool, and two b/c we had swamps and lots of mud. Every year that I get older, I like things more minimal and basic. It took me a while to get out of the MT tire routine. I realized outside of designated "mud vehicle" they are overkill for me.

In my late teen's we moved to South Africa. We had a Landrover 110 and a Toyota Landcruiser 80. Those trucks ran all through the bush and really tough terrain. Honestly, they had never had anything more than an average AT. Think Bridgestone or Yokohama a/t g015. I also spend around a month every year in Costa Rica and Nicaragua. I will only rent older Suzuki Jimmy's and they never have anything more than a basic A/T usually P rated. I think in 15 yrs, I have had 2-3 flats. I am there to surf in the rainy season, so lots of mud, river crossings, slick/spikey jungle stuff.
With all this experience, I always think first we are really lucky to have so many tire options haha.

I also have some ranchers in my family all in WY. They all drive pre- def diesel's and swear buy Hankook Dynapro's , Yokohama g015, Cooper at3, and Toyo M55. I have a buddy who works for the BLM as a wild horse Wrangler and he swears by Toyo M55's. Their trucks see more off-road, than HWY.
They have always laughed at me when I pull up in a truck with as they say "gnarly tires".

I think it really depends on what you want. Someone mentioned that most top name brands are producing good products. I believe that. Sure there are the occasional lemons.

if you want my opinion cooper st maxx are the toughest tires I have ever used. They ride a little rough until you figure out the psi, they are a little loud. The Falken wildpeak took me by surprise, they seemed to be an amazing tire. I only put around 10k on them before I sold the truck. I would buy them again. Copper at3 are great they do it all. The General's are also amazing. I do find they throw rocks more than the Cooper's. The BFG's to me were a little slick in the wet and the ice. I am seriously looking into the new Hankook Dynapro at2 and the Yokahama Go15.

Hopefully, this helps.

I attached a pic, of a good old Jimmy

Attachments

Dbrekke27

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

1758 20th Street, Ogden, UT, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Brekke
Member #

Might be a little late to the party. Maybe this will add to the confusion ha ha.

I have run Cooper at3 lt & st maxx, on Tacoma's.
My wife's 4 runner has the new Grabber at/x.
I have had Cooper at3 lt and Dick Cepek trail country exp. on my ram 2500 and a Tacoma.
Falken wildpeak at3w on a T100 (wish I never sold that truck).
BFG Ko2's on a tundra.

We are based between Bozeman and CA. I surf and do trips all through Baja and North CA. Camp all over the west / south west. My tires see it all.
I lived in coastal North Carolina when I was a teen and used to run only mud tires. One b/c I thought it was cool, and two b/c we had swamps and lots of mud. Every year that I get older, I like things more minimal and basic. It took me a while to get out of the MT tire routine. I realized outside of designated "mud vehicle" they are overkill for me.

In my late teen's we moved to South Africa. We had a Landrover 110 and a Toyota Landcruiser 80. Those trucks ran all through the bush and really tough terrain. Honestly, they had never had anything more than an average AT. Think Bridgestone or Yokohama a/t g015. I also spend around a month every year in Costa Rica and Nicaragua. I will only rent older Suzuki Jimmy's and they never have anything more than a basic A/T usually P rated. I think in 15 yrs, I have had 2-3 flats. I am there to surf in the rainy season, so lots of mud, river crossings, slick/spikey jungle stuff.
With all this experience, I always think first we are really lucky to have so many tire options haha.

I also have some ranchers in my family all in WY. They all drive pre- def diesel's and swear buy Hankook Dynapro's , Yokohama g015, Cooper at3, and Toyo M55. I have a buddy who works for the BLM as a wild horse Wrangler and he swears by Toyo M55's. Their trucks see more off-road, than HWY.
They have always laughed at me when I pull up in a truck with as they say "gnarly tires".

I think it really depends on what you want. Someone mentioned that most top name brands are producing good products. I believe that. Sure there are the occasional lemons.

if you want my opinion cooper st maxx are the toughest tires I have ever used. They ride a little rough until you figure out the psi, they are a little loud. The Falken wildpeak took me by surprise, they seemed to be an amazing tire. I only put around 10k on them before I sold the truck. I would buy them again. Copper at3 are great they do it all. The General's are also amazing. I do find they throw rocks more than the Cooper's. The BFG's to me were a little slick in the wet and the ice. I am seriously looking into the new Hankook Dynapro at2 and the Yokahama Go15.

Hopefully, this helps.

I attached a pic, of a good old Jimmy
Never late to the party with good insight, mate!

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Never late to the party with good insight, mate!
Looks like you've tried them all at one time or another but I don't think what you said here will help anyone make a decision on tire brand.

I think you are right about all tire makes. They are all good for what they are rated to do. When they become a bad tire is when you use them in a way that they were not made to do.

Don't buy a mud tire if your never going to get muddy. Don't buy a snow tire and then drive across a continent on an interstate etc. etc. !

Buy the tire, not the brand, that fits your needs.
Let your equipment (winches, traction devises, etc) take care of the unexpected situations and don't depend solely on the tire unless your buying for a single purpose like rock crawling, mud bogging or sand hill climbing.

Reactions: Kilo_17 and Jgallo1

HumBolXT

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor I

Humboldt CA
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Craig
Man, I wish I my '18 FXT would happily take some KO2s. I'm running YOKO Geolandar G015s and am happy enough, it is my everyday driver so it may be for the best. Didn't realize the newer FXT brakes would be so limiting in wheel/tire setup.

Kilo_17

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Sedro-Woolley, WA, USA
First Name
Miles
Last Name
Bergevin
Member #

I took a chance switching over to falkens after several sets of bfg at and toyo at. Never had the chance to try some coopers but news guys that trusted them anywhere dang near.

So far the falkens have delivered very nicely. On road feel definitely give more confidence of grip especially in the rain. Off road feel is great, little bumpy full air (35psi) but that's a given, and our 5th gen 4runner is a tank.
I've got 2 more to order for the X @ 265/75/16 and can't wait to give em hell.

Reactions: Jgallo1

Jgallo1

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

MT/ CA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Gallo
Member #

The New Hankook dynapro at2 Rf11, seem really nice. I just saw a set on a truck, they looked solid. According to Hankook, they are 3pmsf, and they built a new plant in TN where these tires are manufactured.