Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Moreno Valley CA
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Hernandez
Member #

You may have just drained it before the point of a big bill. Watch for an oily film in your fresh coolant it may suggest a head gasket has gone. Something I always fear with mine as LR TD5's do have that problem at high mileage, mine has done 170,000 miles. I can't afford another big bill, I just spent £7000 having a new galvanised chassis and all the pretty coloured bits fitted to my Defender.
I'll keep checking it then. Thanks for the advice! Ya I can't afford a big repair bill right now. But it has 200k miles already so I should start saving...

Andy's IPhone

macr88

Rank VI
Launch Member

Protector II

Emmett, ID, USA
First Name
Mac
Last Name
Raslan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7TLH or GMRS WRBM678
Service Branch
Sweet District II
FYI and YMMV

I have a 98 Toyota Camry and made sure to use toyotas recommended radiator fluid. They have two types and mixing them will create a sludge like substance.

I say this because I have 315 thousand miles or so and I'm still on the original radiator and on my second water pump. The water pump only because it's easier to do when replacing the timing belt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: hopdup

pseebald

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate I

Brookings, OR
Member #

Removed the factory FZJ80 roof rack in preparation for a new rack. What a nightmare! Not that much corrosion from what I've seen on other trucks but the adhesive on the center runners was a bear to get off. All done now just have to plug all 22 holes:)

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

chrispartida

Rank VI

Advocate II

Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Partida
Member #

Somehow, just because I read all this radiator business, my truck's radiator decided to spring a leak this morning. RIGHT BEFORE I WAS GONNA LEAVE TO THE DESERT!!

Glad I caught the leak, could've been ugly.

Dammit, I hate delays.

Edit: updated with photos!

If you're in LA, and in a pinch - Julio at LA Radiators at 930 Vermont Ave. is a great guy, and veteran.

-CP TACO

OB #2376

Last edited:

GXnGS

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Mountain House, CA
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hambly
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6MVX
I've been contemplating how to best mount the Maxtrax once the RTT was installed, as I'm keeping the driver side free for the impending awning install. Then it dawned on me to use the RTT straps by adding an extra length of webbing and buckles. Now I can also use the same lock for the shovel and Maxtrax. So far so good.
IMG_1372.JPG IMG_1370.JPG

15frontier

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Easley, Sc
Member #

Thank you [emoji482]
It's a V10, 2005 only 43K miles. The wife/Boss won't go for a "noisy, stinky" diesel. LOL... Was lucky to find this loaded Lariat in prestine condition.
Nothing wrong with a v10. Have a buddy with a REAL NICE v10 with a turbonetics rear mount turbo. He didnt do it for "performance" so to speak he gets EXCELLENT fuel economy out of it. Ill have to find his build thread you will get a kick out of it. Ill try to send it in a message when i find it.

Reactions: PNWInfernoPro

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

RockRanger

Rank 0

Contributor II

Dude Matt!! I didn't know you were on jere! Nice idea on the food cooler. Custom built I assume?

Sent from my LG-H810 using OB Talk mobile app
Yes custom built. One of the perks of having a plasma table in my garage. Going to give it a good test in a week when we spend 4 days on the eastern side of the sierras and in death valley.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

I've been contemplating how to best mount the Maxtrax once the RTT was installed, as I'm keeping the driver side free for the impending awning install. Then it dawned on me to use the RTT straps by adding an extra length of webbing and buckles. Now I can also use the same lock for the shovel and Maxtrax. So far so good.
View attachment 20050 View attachment 20052
Well, that is just plain brilliant.

Sent from the Mountains

Reactions: GXnGS