Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I added a Propex propane exchange heater for my roof top tent. I used two Fat 50cal ammo cans, cut the bottoms off, extended them with sheet metal and mounted them between my rack and rear window of my cab. I purposefully left room there when I set up my rack. The heater is mounted inside and the hosing is all attached and ready to extend up to the window.

I wired up power from my truck and the control panel is mounted to a project box and lives in the tent. I picked up a window tent pass-through off Etsy and we are warm all night long up here at the top of the USA!

View attachment 273586View attachment 273587View attachment 273588View attachment 273589View attachment 273590View attachment 273591
What ducting do you use? It looks a lot better than what I currently have. Have you noticed any sort of hot plastic smell? If you could provide a link to where you got it, I'd really appreciate it.

Reactions: PapaDave

PapaDave

Local Expert Northern ID and North East WA

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
What ducting do you use? It looks a lot better than what I currently have. Have you noticed any sort of hot plastic smell? If you could provide a link to where you got it, I'd really appreciate it.
I use this and it doesn’t smell bad to me
Hon&Guan 3 inch 16 FT Long Air Ducting, Heavy-Duty Three-Layer Protection Dryer Vent Hose for Heating Cooling Ventilation and Exhaust, Grey Amazon.com

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I use this and it doesn’t smell bad to me
Hon&Guan 3 inch 16 FT Long Air Ducting, Heavy-Duty Three-Layer Protection Dryer Vent Hose for Heating Cooling Ventilation and Exhaust, Grey Amazon.com
Huh. That's the same one I have. Maybe I just have a bad one, and need to get another..

PapaDave

Local Expert Northern ID and North East WA

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Huh. That's the same one I have. Maybe I just have a bad one, and need to get another..
Do you have a diesel heater? The heated air from my Propex doesn’t get as hot as a diesel heater’s air so that may be a factor

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Do you have a diesel heater? The heated air from my Propex doesn’t get as hot as a diesel heater’s air so that may be a factor
I do. It's a 5kw model. There was a plan to put a 2kw model in the new trailer, but I may just stick with the 5kw model and route it through the windows.

I typically have to run mine on high during the southern Idaho winters, but it keeps my tent plenty warm. The insulated trailer will probably help that a bit.