First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Any winch experts here?

I have a Badlands Apex 12000lb winch on my jeep and i put it through the ringer last weekend. Pulling myself out of a canyon, along with my bud... well, my buddy only half way. The winch died and we then went to lots of checkers and a kinetic rope to get him out.

I have checked all the fuses, check all the battery connections, took off the control module and inspected it, nothing burnt, broken or loose inside it.

It just won't turn on....

If anybody has any ideas I would appreciate it.

Thanks Ken
Is the solenoid working? Do you hear it when it switches?

Reactions: Shahn and Ken M

Ken M

Rank IV

Traveler III

Napa, CA, USA
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Miller
Member #

Any winch experts here?

I have a Badlands Apex 12000lb winch on my jeep and i put it through the ringer last weekend. Pulling myself out of a canyon, along with my bud... well, my buddy only half way. The winch died and we then went to lots of checkers and a kinetic rope to get him out.

I have checked all the fuses, check all the battery connections, took off the control module and inspected it, nothing burnt, broken or loose inside it.

It just won't turn on....

If anybody has any ideas I would appreciate it.

Thanks Ken
Is the solenoid working? Do you hear it when it switches?
So I tried to test it but I ended up melting my volt meter instead. :(. I tried listening for it but could not hear anything above the diesel motor,

Reactions: Shahn

Kozysnack

Rank VII
Investor

Expedition Master I

Austin, Travis County, Texas, United States
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Ely
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRNX949 is my GMRS, haven't taken my test yet but working on the HAM
Service Branch
USAF BRAT
Added an offset NashFab Rear Ladder to the GX. I can now reach the roof rack and or get in/out of our RTT no matter what the ground conditions are.
Got the offset so I could add a spare tire swing latter. I'm getting better at planning ahead with all the help I get from OB.

Attachments

Chris_d282fc

Rank I

Contributor III

NC, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Rains
Added a camper shell. Found it used for a great deal, considering the unicorn-ness of these things. Came with a Thule rack and bars, carpeted interior, three plug 12V unit, screens and the actual key to the window....for $350!! Now, gotta wire it to my truck and replace the struts and some seals. But first, I need to decide whether to roll it with a liner or paint it to match. Probably gonna roll it. Definitely have to bribe some guys to help me move this behemoth around. Then, begin outfitting for some surf fishing/camping trips.Truck cap.jpeg

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF

mouellette012

Rank III

Traveler III

Westford, MA, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Ouellette
Member #

I love all these mods. Unfortunately, my Honda Passport is the unwanted stepchild with not much I can do to make overland upgrades. Right now I am in the discovery phase as to what my next vehicle will be to go overlanding with and be able to pull my Xpedition Voyager trailer. Right now the Passport I am towing the RV but it feels like it is struggling a bit. That could be normal.

Cascadia

Rank V

Educator II

Golden
First Name
Betsy
Last Name
Blac
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7VRZ
This weekend, I got my car prepped to be at Overland Expo Mtn West. It has been fully detailed since it would be in the vendor area and got my camping gear down.

20230728_164701.jpg

Reactions: roots66 and Shahn

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I usually do regular oil analysis on my vehicles. This is the first one I've done on this YJ after doing a short interval change after getting it all back together, I got this with over 200k miles on it, and it had sat for years prior to this and it had the rattle as well. Sounds like a diesel at idle, smooth under load, no oil burning, good compression. Can't remember the exact numbers, but they were well within FSM specs. Looks like I've got the ol piston slap/skirt wear issue going on. I'm debating pulling it to do a full overhaul or just do an "inframe" with a bottle brush hone and throw some new pistons, rings and bearings at it and seeing how much longer she'll go. The report mentions low viscosity. I forgot to put a note in there that mentioned I spent some time troubleshooting a high fuel pressure issue that was causing the engine to flood out so I'm guessing that's from possible fuel dilution.

Screenshot 2023-08-19 145618.png

peeeeetey

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member II

Harrisburg, NC, USA
First Name
Pete
Last Name
Meuser
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WREL270
Got my transition to the new car going on. Sucks but it is what it is. Got the new roof rack going on and salvaged the bars from the Tahoe. Tahoe will live but in the mean time I am using what I have. Top rack is a must for me. Lights in progress and I have a new switch pod which I nave no idea where to mount it. I thought I had this all figured out but this a new learning curve. I just wish I could charge the insurance company for my labor just like the shops do.20230806_125226 (1).jpg20230820_173152 (1).jpg20230806_125334.jpg20230806_125226 (1).jpg20230820_173152 (1).jpg20230806_125334.jpg20230806_125334.jpg

Last edited:

peeeeetey

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member II

Harrisburg, NC, USA
First Name
Pete
Last Name
Meuser
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WREL270
Ok. The last post got repetitive pics so I will just describe. Installed new headlights, bull bar with light, needed a new washer bottle got that done working on electrical stuff and a lot more to do. Keep Ya'll posted! As you can see this is a very low budget build.

Reactions: roots66 and Shahn