Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Gave the rig a proper wash. And with a view to the coming winter, checked the underbody protection and where necessary a little touched up, made preventive corrosion protection, door locks and hinges greased, door seals maintained, etc.
I should do this, thanks for the post!

Reactions: Shahn and El-Dracho

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Everywhere is selling decorations of red pickup trucks carrying a Christmas tree. So, I thought I'd just do my own.

Attachments

Reactions: Shahn

Oranger

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

Hastings, MN, USA
First Name
Dylan
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZAU
Quick question if you don’t mind; how do those work in the mud & snow? Been looking for a set. Any input helps, thanks!
First time I am running them, my previous set were Terra Grappler G2s. Unfortunately I have only taken them home and to work since putting them on yesterday morning. The morning snow had already been cleared/melted by the time I was rolling out of the shop.

Reactions: Shahn and KAIONE

RatAssassin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Wisconsin, USA
First Name
Rat
Last Name
Assassin
Member #

I started configuring a rack of sorts to go on my Yakima bars to hold my traction boards, but to leave enough room for the widest of my kayaks and canoes.....or my Yakima Skybox. I'm building it myself.
I'm old school. I don't buy the most current hotness. I just do what works....and what has worked for years. I still use a "grub box" of my grandfather's design and one my father, now 82 gave me. My 8x10 awning cost $30 and nobody has ever told me it's "ghetto". You build what you need, adjust, and tweak your systems. It's what keeps every trip new and interesting in every season. My wife is a city girl.....and has never needed for anything out on our trips.
I have always updated my gear, have the most updated technical fabrics , fills, hardware and all the other "noise". The lightest and brightest gear. I stay pretty current with the tech, but there's improvements needed in some of the mapping tech that I could brush up on.
But back to the point. The rack should be able to hold 4 traction boards, a shovel and maybe something else. I bet I have about 50 bucks into it. And it will function.....and look great.

I saw a Prius yesterday decked out for adventure travel and marveled at the stickers and obvious signs of "walking the walk and talking the talk". I thought to myself.....There's someone who values function over fashion." If that person went to even one quarter the places the stickers represented, he was doing twice as much as most people. It was refreshing to see.

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
Front end again... The pinion bearings lost preload due to the crush sleeve failing, so I got to open it back up, and re-setup the gears.

The upside is I got to install the fixed size preload spacer and shims that showed up MONTHS after I ordered them, and I could torque the pinion to an actual number and dial in the preload instead of going at a crush sleeve with an impact and hoping the prevailing torque in the bearing meets spec.

Down side is due to the pinion bearing loosing it's preload and essentially flopping around while engaged with the ring gear, Ill have to keep a real close eye on the wear patterns on the gears for the next few thousand miles.

IMG_20211219_195322_569.jpg

danwyandt

Rank VII
Investor

Trail Mechanic III

Burnsville, NC, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Wyandt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS callsign WRTJ513
Oil change and new tires. Nitto Ridge Grappler 285/70r17 this time around.
Hey Oranger,
How do they sound on the highway? I am about to pull the trigger on the same tire (295/75 16) as a replacement for the K02's. I was worried that I would have to listen to roaring heading to a destination / trail.
-Dan

Reactions: Oranger and Shahn

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
Tighten the front JKS track bar and the rear upper track bar nut. Things where a bit loose. The Jeep no long has Steering drift finally.
Checking suspension torques and bushing integrity frequently is a pretty overlooked aspect of maintenance for modified 4x4's... Its a checklist item that i go do when I do my oil changes.

JimBill

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

San Benito County, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Madison
Member #

Well not today... Sunday I finally gave the 01 Tahoe a little love.
Serviced the differential and replaced the rear trackbar, new wipers, top off fluids, new fog light bulbs, and other little stuff like that.
Shame on me, the diff was black as can be and the old trackbar bowed. Both last touched by the factory?? Evidently I show this rig little mercy.
My lady and the kid reported it made it to Idaho with no problems on Monday.
Other than the passenger side foot heater blowing cold. I drive when I am in it so not too worried about it....

1640136801388.png

Last edited:

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
Well not today... Sunday I finally gave the 01 Tahoe a little love.
Serviced the differential and replaced the rear trackbar, new wipers, top off fluids, new fog light bulbs, and other little stuff like that.
Shame on me, the diff was black as can be and the old trackbar bowed. Both last touched by the factory?? Evidently I show this rig little mercy.
My lady and the kid report it made it to Idaho with no problems on Monday.
Other than the passenger side foot heater blowing cold. I drive when I am in it so not too worried about it....

View attachment 218475
Is yours open or do you have a G80 in it? I can't tell from photos and I haven't had any coffee yet, LOL.

I've been dreading opening up the diff on our '03 Sierra, but I need to change the fluid in it and I need to inspect the clutch plates in it.

LockedRunner

Rank IV

Advocate I

Concord, CA 94521, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Lauterbach
Member #

New roof rack installed!
Looking good. Did they give you any trim for the front wind deflector? You may get some whistle without that trim.
Haven’t hit the road yet. Will find out today. Does the whistle come from the gap? Because the deflector has trim along the bottom of it, and I’m able to slide the deflector up and down to desired position.

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
Haven’t hit the road yet. Will find out today. Does the whistle come from the gap? Because the deflector has trim along the bottom of it, and I’m able to slide the deflector up and down to desired position.
Yes in my experience you'll want the trim touching your paint. That got rid of my whistle.

Here's mine for reference:
1640202545778.png

Reactions: RoarinRow