Bryan
Last Name
Lavender
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE5ATG
Service Branch
U.S. Marine Corps
Organizing for the next trip, charging camera batteries, etc. Paring down the list because I always take too much stuff.

Reactions: roots66

BensonSTW

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Not on my Jeeps but got the Red CJ drivable and got my brother's CJ7 running but it's leaking from the accelerator pump and running rough in general, I also pulled the interior out of the CJ7, my brother wants to run with no carpet to help keep future rust issues from popping up in the floors. The fuel filter was so clogged up with varnished corn gas that it wouldn't flow. Changed out all the rubber lines the fuel filter and tossed 5 gallons of ethanol free in and after about 20 seconds of cranking it fired up, though is running a bit rough and missing a bit. Placed a large order on Rock Auto to include a carb refresh kit.

Tore the Motorcraft carb down on my brother's CJ and dunked all the parts except for the body of the carb because it won't fit in the paint can of carb cleaner.

Tell your brother to take a look at monstaliner. The stuff is amazing and will help with the rust prevention. I just did my whole truck in it. I like the way it turned out. Will be doing my old bronco and cj7 as well.

JimBill

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

San Benito County, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Madison
Member #

This weekend tackled three annoyances with the WJ. Installed 2 row aluminum radiator for cooling improvement, trimmed front bumper for tire clearance, and reconfigured the front sway bar disconnects for hardware clearance. The radiator was a challenge as it was "almost" for a WJ, the discos were about installing as they should be and not how the directions said, and the bumper trim was an exercise in restraint to take "just enough" off.

Attachments

Cypress

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger I

Goose Creek, SC, USA
First Name
Allen
Last Name
Murray
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJY639
Saturday morning I spent some time on the XJ. I changed the speedometer gear so it would read correctly. I also installed the correct cables so the parking brakes on the disk conversion would work.
Sunday morning we rolled out about 7 am and put 500 miles on it beating around the back roads of SC.

Last edited:

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Took Vannery and the trailer up to a big box parking lot and did as tight a radius turns as I could do in each direction, then same backing up, intentionally jack-knifing the trailer.

I want to fab up a solid platform for two 20lb propane tanks instead of one on the trailer tongue, so needed to check that I actually have the clearance on turns and if having to back the trailer to that sharp of an angle.

It's handy to be able to back the trailer that sharply sometimes, when you're in a too tight spot to turn around with trailer in tow. Easier to jack-knife the trailer, unhook, get your vehicle turned around, hook 'er back up, and take off in the opposite direction.

jackknife_6314-900.jpeg

I knew how far I could go backing up--to a 90, actually--though never checked the clearance possibilities for a two tank platform on the trailer tongue. I was tickled to see it's possible and will save that much more room in trailer or van from storing the extra 20lb tank.

Can't tell from these images, though on flat ground an extended platform will actually just go over the van bumper if I have to crank the turn even more, though I'll have to watch it more closely if trailer or van is off-camber.

jackknife_6318-900.jpeg
I've been super glad over the years, too, that when I back up that sharply, my van clears the nose-box so nicely.

THEN...when heading back after doing all this, a guy pulls up next to me at a light and was trying to tell me something.
He yelled "You dropped something, a life jacket or something!"

I turned the corner and pulled over to see if my spare tire trash/recycling bag had come off. That was the only thing I thought it could've been. But no, it was still firmly secured. So I circled back around and finally saw I'd completely forgotten about the rifle case I use to store two pair of traction boards. It had been on my trailer rack in front of the rooftop tent all winter and spring, though not secured, and bounced/slid off. It'd been so long since I hauled the trailer anywhere I forgot about it.

It was none the worse for wear, though, after skidding down the blacktop. I grabbed it and was on my way.

traction-board-case_6325-crp900.jpg

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Took the XJ and the kids and met up with a buddy (Pro4X Frontier) in the Ouachita National Forest after his return from a deployment and spent 4 days/nights tooling around and camping in different spots every night.

Old Fire Tower

Little Missouri Falls

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Took the XJ and the kids and met up with a buddy (Pro4X Frontier) in the Ouachita National Forest after his return from a deployment and spent 4 days/nights tooling around and camping in different spots every night.

Old Fire Tower

Little Missouri Falls

Wow at least you got out there. Only thing I did was wash the rig in my driveway (again).

• Haha
Reactions: mface7

BensonSTW

Rank III

Enthusiast III

I decided that instead of doing the monstaliner to my camper shell, I would hold off just a little bit longer. I thought it would be better if my solar panel mounting brackets were the same color. So today was the day I decided I would figure out how to mount my panels. When I got to the hardware store they had slotted angle iron that looked perfect. Like a cross between angle iron and plumbers tape. Cut to fit. Angled off the sharp corner. As a bonus it is going to be super easy to build a hilift mount from it.
2F8D7B06-47D0-4A95-BA6F-047D0AC8DD44.jpeg

Last edited:

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Added a solar panel to my kit, so needed a way to transport it. I did not want to hard mount it to my teardrop because I don’t always take it.

Attachments

Steward I

Nisku, Alberta, Canada
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Westfall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
RamRunner78
How’s it holding up? I’ve had them mounted on the cap on my old truck, then took them off to get the cap bed lined and then remounted them on the cap and put it onto my new truck. So all in all have been on there for about a year, no issues.
Finally got my tough guard bug and window deflectors.
How did you attach the Rotopax to your camper shell window?
I built bracket mounts and bolted them through using riv-nuts.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Cleaned up my rear diff cover. It was dirty with road grime. Anyone know how to get the shine back? I used a degreaser and just some car soap and water.

IMG_0839.jpg

Reactions: 9Mike2 and roots66

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
Cleaned up my rear diff cover. It was dirty with road grime. Anyone know how to get the shine back? I used a degreaser and just some car soap and water.

View attachment 197894
The Aluminum has oxidized, so the dullness won't be going anywhere. You could bead blast it and that'd take the surface passivization off, but it'd just look like that again in a few years, depending on where it gets driven at. Personally I'd just leave it...

Reactions: RoarinRow

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
The Aluminum has oxidized, so the dullness won't be going anywhere. You could bead blast it and that'd take the surface passivization off, but it'd just look like that again in a few years, depending on where it gets driven at. Personally I'd just leave it...
Ah oxidation, ok you're right. It's very hard to clean. Definitely leaving it then. Thank you!