What Did You Do With Your Rig Today?

• HTML tutorial

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Swapped the summer tires on, got the roof rack back on it, bolt up some wheel spacers and installed a trailer harness. View attachment 194705
Got any before and afters of the wheel spacers. That's one thing I did not like about the compass redesign. Its wheels were way inside the body lines. We have 1.25" on the Pat and it looks and works great. Nice trailhawk btw.

Reactions: Red_Leaf_Overland

Advocate I

Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Member #

Got any before and afters of the wheel spacers. That's one thing I did not like about the compass redesign. Its wheels were way inside the body lines. We have 1.25" on the Pat and it looks and works great. Nice trailhawk btw.
I tried to get before and after pics but because the difference is only 1" it's really hard to tell. I also had to run a 1/4" spacers on the KL wheels I have my winter tires on because they hit the brakes ( even though they have all the same dimensions as compass wheels). I mainly wanted to get rid on the lug bolts and get a stud back on it to hang a wheel from when changing them lol.
I used to run 1.25" spacers on my old patriot and run JK sport package steel wheels and tires. Everyone was getting rid of them so I picked up a bunch really cheap

Attachments

Last edited:

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
First off... SORRY NO PICTURES....

yesterday and today have been quite productive on the “Adventure Machine”, I got both the transmission and transfer case reinstalled. Then worked on a few minor wiring projects.

So for those of you fallowing along, I will be updating my build progress in a little while after I re-check my list of projects that yet need to be completed by May 1st.

rsweet

Rank V

Member III

Huntington Beach, CA, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Sweet
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6IHR
Beat Sonic front facing camera on a 2020 Toyota Tundra. Awesome picture...no more blindness when cresting a hill. Video screen pics up bands when taking picture, not there though.

Attachments

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

$72 Bonehead Mistake:

In hoping to get my AC working better, I removed and cleaned the blower motor and condenser casing on my van, on a tip from a pal on expo. All went fine, easy-peasy. Cleaned ages-old caked up dust on the fins on the squirrel cage with some 303 cleaner, q-tips, and water. Cleaned up the motor housing, too. Was all nice and shiny black. Put it off to the side on top of the air filter housing.

Reached into the casing and pulled out a bunch of long pine needles and leaf bits; enough to fill up a 16 oz tumbler. Stuck my shop vac hose in there to get any tiny bits.

blower-motor_210415_6030-700.jpeg....blower-motor-debris_210415_6032-700.jpeg

Welll...the blower motor and squirrel cage slid off the sloped air filter housing and fell to the driveway. Broke a two and half inch piece out of the rim of the old brittle cage, along with the top edges of several fins. Cracked the cage at the bottom, too. So I Krazy-glued it all back together nice and neat. Let that set up, spun it around and looked good. Re-installed everything; which is really just blower motor, vent hose, coolant overflow reservoir, and associated connections. Looked all nice and tidy and clean.

Took her for a drive to see if it was blowing any cooler, with all that debris now gone. Turned it to cold and turned on the blower. It immediately sounded awful, like I don't know what, but the dash was vibrating and the blower was thrumming like a woodcock in heat. Turned it off quick. I knew what probably happened and headed back to the yard.

Took it all apart again to find the squirrel cage had exploded, as I figured.

blower-motor-boneheadmove_6036-700.jpg

Called the parts store, heard they had one in stock, and told 'em I'd be down in a bit. Ate dinner, then went and got the new one. I suppose I could've searched junkyards tomorrow for just the cage, but for 72 bucks and tax, it was worth saving the time and effort tomorrow to just get a whole new assembly.

I'll use the old motor for something, sometime.

Maybe I'll fab up a 12v ceiling fan with giant blades for the rooftop tent :tonguewink:.

That was a $72.00 bonehead move, letting it sit on the sloped air filter housing. Told my kid what I'd done and she said "Well, you won't do THAT again!" I said "Ha, yeah, I don't know, I probably will."

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
$72 Bonehead Mistake:

In hoping to get my AC working better, I removed and cleaned the blower motor and condenser casing on my van, on a tip from a pal on expo. All went fine, easy-peasy. Cleaned ages-old caked up dust on the fins on the squirrel cage with some 303 cleaner, q-tips, and water. Cleaned up the motor housing, too. Was all nice and shiny black. Put it off to the side on top of the air filter housing.

Reached into the casing and pulled out a bunch of long pine needles and leaf bits; enough to fill up a 16 oz tumbler. Stuck my shop vac hose in there to get any tiny bits.

View attachment 194939....View attachment 194941

Welll...the blower motor and squirrel cage slid off the sloped air filter housing and fell to the driveway. Broke a two and half inch piece out of the rim of the old brittle cage, along with the top edges of several fins. Cracked the cage at the bottom, too. So I Krazy-glued it all back together nice and neat. Let that set up, spun it around and looked good. Re-installed everything; which is really just blower motor, vent hose, coolant overflow reservoir, and associated connections. Looked all nice and tidy and clean.

Took her for a drive to see if it was blowing any cooler, with all that debris now gone. Turned it to cold and turned on the blower. It immediately sounded awful, like I don't know what, but the dash was vibrating and the blower was thrumming like a woodcock in heat. Turned it off quick. I knew what probably happened and headed back to the yard.

Took it all apart again to find the squirrel cage had exploded, as I figured.

View attachment 194940

Called the parts store, heard they had one in stock, and told 'em I'd be down in a bit. Ate dinner, then went and got the new one. I suppose I could've searched junkyards tomorrow for just the cage, but for 72 bucks and tax, it was worth saving the time and effort tomorrow to just get a whole new assembly.

I'll use the old motor for something, sometime.

Maybe I'll fab up a 12v ceiling fan with giant blades for the rooftop tent :tonguewink:.

That was a $72.00 bonehead move, letting it sit on the sloped air filter housing. Told my kid what I'd done and she said "Well, you won't do THAT again!" I said "Ha, yeah, I don't know, I probably will."

The junkyard part would be just as brittle and probably not save you that much.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

The junkyard part would be just as brittle and probably not save you that much.
You're right, man, probably would be. The new motor and squirrel cage are more stout, too, and I like seeing new parts all shiny, clean, and working perfectly.

I did find, this morning, new cages for these blower motors I could order.

I keep toying with ideas for what I can do with the old motor. I actually like the idea of experimenting with a variable speed switch, like the van has, and making a slow ceiling fan with paddle blades for under my big-assed awning when I'm in the desert. OR ordering another cage and creating an air mover casing for the back of my van when parked. Run it off the solar powered house batt I'm installing, and until then run it from the trailer deep cycles like I do the fridge (which I keep in the van).

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force

Todd32x

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

York County, Pennsylvania, United States
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Beckley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3THB
Service Branch
US Marine Corps
Mounted apillar lights lights on my JK. Used Spot beam on the top and flood beam on the bottom. Used a rugged ridge dual a mount and 3” Raxiom cube lights.

Attachments