Launch Member

Enthusiast III

LaPlace, LA, USA
First Name
Edward
Last Name
Wingard
Member #

I'm in need of a new fence (gotta keep the new overland hounds in the yard) and a tree had grown right around one of the posts. I cut it down and used my rig and it's winch to remove the stump. Of course I dug around the stump and cut as many roots as I could before hooking up to it. It took two pulls from different angles and the 4RUNNER dug short trenches from being dragged a bit before the roots finally gave way.

20210328_171356.jpg

Todd32x

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

York County, Pennsylvania, United States
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Beckley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3THB
Service Branch
US Marine Corps
Added a cool air intake, throttle body spacer, vector off road mounting bar to the dash and a rhino pioneer roof rack. We took a small family trip to Big Bear and hit some good trails.

Attachments

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Did three new things to my van recently:

1: Have a problem with frozen and broken hinges on one of my side doors. I have new hinges, but will wait until I have a long enough time available to have the whole door off while I drill the old hinges out and install the new ones.

doorjack_5756-900.jpeg

Messing with it a while back, I sprung it a bit, so the working door had to be slammed really hard to close. It finally warmed up enough that I got out my scissor jack, rigged up a platform to hold it in place; made a cut in a short piece of 2x4 to go over the faulty door's edge (so the end of the 2x would rest against the jamb and not mangle anything), and jacked the whole door back into place. Did it across from the top hinge, then jacked across from the bottom hinge, too. Door closes much better now without slamming.

exhaust-gasket_210401_5781-900.jpeg

2: Over the last couple adventures around the country, driving over some pretty wild back country roads, I managed to sheer off the old bolts in the exhaust connection above. They broke by one, though I was unaware until the last one went and part of the old gasket fell out. Got under there and wired it up temporarily, but for the life of me could not get the old stud heads out by myself, though I sure did try. I'd spray Knock 'Er Loose in there and try again, banging and heating and drilling, more spray, let it sit, try again, and repeat.

Not having a torch hot enough, nor patience or temperament to stay under there for hours in the freezing cold trying to drill 'em out one by one, I finally made an appt at the local non-chain exhaust repair shop and gave them the gasket and stainless hardware I had. They had it in and out by noon and charged a fair price.

Now I'll keep a better eye on it after rough roads and keep an extra set of bolts with my other backup hardware.

3: Finally filled up my tank after a year.

fuelingup_210401_5785-900.jpeg

Seriously; took me a whole year to go through one tank of fuel, though I did empty two 5gal jerrys into the tank in that time, too. That's how little I've driven and little I've wandered during the Big Pause of 20-21.

Time to get back out and get to exploring.

Last edited:

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
Didn't do much over the weekend, just trip prep.
Changed the oil and filter in the Jeep, checked on the other fluids, replaced a missing gas tank skid bolt and otherwise did a pre-trip crawl under to make sure nothing was too amiss on the Jeep before I go on a 10day trip to Moab and back. I'm waiting for some new (hopefully less dead) foamie bumpstops for the rear to come in as well... hoping they're here before I leave.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Installed the winch power interrupter solenoid and big ol fuse(TM). Pulled the airbox and rerouted the winch positive power wire while I was at it and gave the wire a little more protection with some thick bicycle inner tube.
Ordered up a bunch of expendables this morning getting ready for the first big trip of the year and beyond.

IMG_5719.jpeg

Roger 2486

Rank V

Explorer I

Concord CA
First Name
Roger
Last Name
Fielding
Member #

Metal Cloak Game Changer 3.5" lift last Friday, new tires this afternoon, and install of the long awaited RSI Smart Cap evo tomorrow. Pretty excited things are finally coming together on my build. Images tomorrow to follow.