Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Yesterday

XJ- Changed the oil and collected a sample for oil analysis

Red CJ- Installed a battery, Pulled the radiator and air injection system, did a compression test and installed the aftermarket starter switch in the dash properly instead of having it hanging down below the dash.

Orange CJ- Checked fluids, put a bikini top on.

Surplus Trailer- Wire wheeled and primered another side of the tub.

Cypress

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger I

Goose Creek, SC, USA
First Name
Allen
Last Name
Murray
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJY639
Got started on the rear axle only to find out I have the wrong bearing kit. Amazon shipped a D44 kit instead of a Chrysler 8.25 kit. And the locker I ordered is a 29 spline and the axle under the XJ is a 27 spline. That necessitated digging the original axle out of a pile of parts behind the shop to get the shafts and carrier out of it. This whole project has been one wrong part after another.

T. Stanley

Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep Kansas
Launch Member

Member III

Clay Center, Kansas
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

I am a few days behind, I finally got the extension for my bedrack done and bolted onto my truck
68D7E155-8166-4CA0-8F55-727D5802B9E9.jpeg
I had to take a picture at night, my extension got finished about 2:30pm I got to pick it up and I immediately had to rush to the shop. I had 2 back to back recovery jobs (tow jobs) and didn’t get done until after 9 pm, I took this picture as I am leaving to go out to the farm to get my Roofnest Falcon RTT so I can meet up with some other OB members for some wheeling and a camp out the next day.

T. Stanley

Launch Member

Member III

Clay Center, Kansas
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

I finally got to mount my Roofnest Falcon on my truck and was very happy with how it sits and fits now. (Taken about 10:30pm I had 2 of the guys work overtime to come help me put the RTT on the rack extension then it took me about 45 minutes to center and bolt everything down and then I had to go back to the shop to do my paperwork for the recovery jobs where the light was much better.
FE231BF4-FAB8-4CB2-A896-2951BE673D90.jpeg

31124479-B8B5-43D7-98FC-0BEB4707E91D.jpeg

T. Stanley

Launch Member

Member III

Clay Center, Kansas
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Today I finally finished mounting my spare tire relocation bracket and spare tire. I had one of the guys at the shop weld the wheel studs onto the relocation bracket. I am going to adjust the position of the spare tire/wheel to be closer to the bed side, will restrict my rear view less that way.
DED69907-878C-4F10-A571-5EB16B685186.jpeg
FD9E1C13-0310-40BB-8047-C848F203CBE0.jpeg
415EF8FC-37A5-4D33-B2C1-578C88F740E1.jpeg

TOY4RNR

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Canandaigua, NY, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Larkin
Member #

What did I do with my rig today... Only had her about a week.

Took her on her very first "off road" trip, meaning took a ride along some of the area's seasonal dirt roads. Gravel mostly, with a little mud and one especially steep hill covered in a sheet of slick melting ice pack. This is where it gets interesting. At first look, I KNEW I should turn around, but.... I inched forward and immediately began to slide down the slick ice like an Olympic bobsled. This is a long, steep hill with a sharp left turn at the bottom. After about 30 feet I managed to stick the drivers side front wheel into the snow on the side of the road. This spun me around 180, but with the rear wheel on the side of the road, I came to a stop (facing up hill!). It took about 5 minutes of maneuvering to get two wheels onto the side of the road, where I could get traction. She pulled right up the hill. Passenger side wheels were on a sheet of wet ice, but the drivers side did the job.

Fun first day. I'll be smarter next time....

Cypress

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger I

Goose Creek, SC, USA
First Name
Allen
Last Name
Murray
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJY639
Today was a long one. New bearing, gears, and Spartan locker installed in the rear axle. I also pitched the old drum brakes in the trash and installed a disk brake conversion.

Setting the backlash.

Nasty old drum brakes.

Shiny new disks.

All buttoned up and ready to roll.

Trigger T4R

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Inland Empire, CA, USA
First Name
Lance
Last Name
:
Member #

Did the tpms bypass and fog light mods on my 4Runner. Surprisingly simple, took me longer to strip the tape off the factory loom than it took to do the mods lol. Been wanting to do these for a while but something a little scary about messing with factory wiring. Makes me want to tackle some bigger mods like vsc trac off mod. ‍♂

ALSO!!... I bit the bullet and finally bought a winch!!
Ironman 4x4 had a 25% off sale so I took advantage and got their 9500 wireless synthetic winch (for a killer $486.75 price tag) and while I was at it got their deluxe recovery kit. Yay! Now I can go places solo without fear of getting stuck! Trails here I come!! Well when I get it installed anyways.

have a great weekend all!

RAMXPLR

Rank V

Explorer I

Carlsbad, San Diego County, California, United States
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Lochow
Member #

Today was a long one. New bearing, gears, and Spartan locker installed in the rear axle. I also pitched the old drum brakes in the trash and installed a disk brake conversion.

Setting the backlash.
Wish I had the skills to do my own work!$$$$

Nasty old drum brakes.

Shiny new disks.

All buttoned up and ready to roll.

RAMXPLR

Rank V

Explorer I

Carlsbad, San Diego County, California, United States
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Lochow
Member #

What did I do with my rig today... Only had her about a week.

Took her on her very first "off road" trip, meaning took a ride along some of the area's seasonal dirt roads. Gravel mostly, with a little mud and one especially steep hill covered in a sheet of slick melting ice pack. This is where it gets interesting. At first look, I KNEW I should turn around, but.... I inched forward and immediately began to slide down the slick ice like an Olympic bobsled. This is a long, steep hill with a sharp left turn at the bottom. After about 30 feet I managed to stick the drivers side front wheel into the snow on the side of the road. This spun me around 180, but with the rear wheel on the side of the road, I came to a stop (facing up hill!). It took about 5 minutes of maneuvering to get two wheels onto the side of the road, where I could get traction. She pulled right up the hill. Passenger side wheels were on a sheet of wet ice, but the drivers side did the job.

Fun first day. I'll be smarter next time....
Nice save!

T. Stanley

Launch Member

Member III

Clay Center, Kansas
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

I finally received all the parts and pieces to DIY a set of limb risers for my Tacoma. Only missing the most important components. The attachment points on the front of the truck and on the roof above the windshield. Today I got the hood brackets designed and drawn out on a piece of 1/8” steel, and then I got side tracked, I had to go rescue a little old lady who had a flat tire.
579F04B0-193F-4B11-983C-A4E6C4833C9C.jpeg
C6637838-4669-43BF-AD00-CE84A205020D.jpeg

KF0APA

Rank VI

Trail Mechanic I

Lebanon, MO, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Bryson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0APA
I installed 3 new batteries in my rig today. Unboxed the new window deflectors, will install them some time this week. Ordered new tires, they should be here Friday for a Saturday install. Tents were ordered. Hopefully they will arrive before Christmas.

KF0APA

Rank VI

Trail Mechanic I

Lebanon, MO, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Bryson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0APA
I finally received all the parts and pieces to DIY a set of limb risers for my Tacoma. Only missing the most important components. The attachment points on the front of the truck and on the roof above the windshield. Today I got the hood brackets designed and drawn out on a piece of 1/8” steel, and then I got side tracked, I had to go rescue a little old lady who had a flat tire.
View attachment 191859
View attachment 191860
You get +50 bonus points for the rescue.

Vipes

Rank II

Enthusiast I

North Carolina, USA
First Name
Dewayne
Last Name
Hannah
Member #

I installed 3 new batteries in my rig today. Unboxed the new window deflectors, will install them some time this week. Ordered new tires, they should be here Friday for a Saturday install. Tents were ordered. Hopefully they will arrive before Christmas.
Funny enough, I did two new batteries today myself though BOTH of them are for my engine. Came out to the rig and my driver side battery had gone bad. Oof!